Just Another Inverter Install

Go-Fly

I wanted an inverter to run a coffee pot or the TV when we are dry camping and don't want to start the generator. Installed a cheap Harbor Freight for what little I'll use it and they seem to hold up when you don't try to run a microwave with it. Installed it as close to the battery as I could. Also added an amp shunt so I can see the charge rate and useage when running on battery or running the inverter. Put a plastic guard over the shunt. Over sized the wires to the inverter and over sized the wires to the battery. Put wire covers on everything so it looks like factory.

5th wheel 7 017.jpg 5th wheel 7 018.jpg5th wheel 7 019.jpg

Go-Fly

One thing I wanted to add was an automatic cut-off for the converter. Grabbed a 120 volt, 20 amp, DPDT relay with a 12 volt coil at the parts store. Installed the relay in a J-box and put a cover on it. The switch on the inside panel will fire the relay. Turning on the inverter and turn off the converter. The inverter will trip a contactor to isolate the 110 volt line from the generator. A lot of words for something that goes click.

Bighorn 2 022.jpg

It's located somewhere in there.:D
Bighorn 2 021.jpg

Go-Fly

The inside panel to turn the inverter on. The switch has a red light in it when it is on. You have to push a button to turn on the amp meter. I have it all mounted on a aluminum plate, painted black for now. When I get down to the big shop, I'll glue a thin black sheet of plastic to a white sheet of plastic and label everything on the CNC. I'll match the font on the Heartland panel. Need to pick up some black headed screws too.

5th wheel 7 015.jpg5th wheel 7 016.jpg

Oregon_Camper

Looks great....

Now, if you can bundle up all that knowledge and send it over, I have a GoPower 3000W interverter and an 50 am automatic transfer switch to install my Bighorn. I just don't feel comfortable doing it myself...need to watch a bunch more Youtube video's first.
[h=1][/h]

Go-Fly

Looks great....

Now, if you can bundle up all that knowledge and send it over, I have a GoPower 3000W interverter and an 50 am automatic transfer switch to install my Bighorn. I just don't feel comfortable doing it myself...need to watch a bunch more Youtube video's first.

You want to make sure you know what you are doing when it comes to wiring. The smoke test is never a good idea.lol

jbeletti

Go-Fly - I don't know you (yet), but I like the way you roll. I'm guessing you're an engineer. Maybe in HVAC? In any event, you're dang handy and we love reading your detailed build/mod threads on the forum - so please keep them coming.

Have you considered joining the Heartland Owners Club? We'd LOVE to see your mods first-hand at a Heartland rally. We have a very active chapter in Oregon. In fact, you are surrounded with fantastic chapters within a fantastic region.

Hope to meet you one day. Keep the builds and mods coming!

Jerrod - is this guy your brother? :)

Go-Fly

Go-Fly - I don't know you (yet), but I like the way you roll. I'm guessing you're an engineer. Maybe in HVAC? In any event, you're dang handy and we love reading your detailed build/mod threads on the forum - so please keep them coming.

Have you considered joining the Heartland Owners Club? We'd LOVE to see your mods first-hand at a Heartland rally. We have a very active chapter in Oregon. In fact, you are surrounded with fantastic chapters within a fantastic region.

Hope to meet you one day. Keep the builds and mods coming!

Jerrod - is this guy your brother? :)

I will look into the Owners Club. I'm a tool and die maker by trade but, my education goes well beyond that. I owned a company that built custom machinery for factories all over the United States. Everything from polymer reactors to tea bag packaging. I have two more projects on the new 5th, the solar panels and the dish washer. Then we are out on the road.