Bighorn - Burnt out Ceiling Lightt

danemayer

Are they actually recessed, or is there a relatively flat glass cover almost flush with the ceiling?

Heartland has used many different kinds of light fixtures over the years on the various models. A picture would help.

rhodies1

If they are the halogen lights which are flush mounted then the glass twists off,like unscrewing a bottle cap.there are 2 slots which they set in and turn to lock or unlock.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

This depends on what year your Big Horn is.
On my 2015 "Landmark 365" I have twist off glass lenses with LED lights. On the new 2017 Landmark 365 it has plastic lenses you just get your fingers in there and pull down on then to pop them off. I would think Big Horn is probably the same.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. Got it figured out. Thanks again.
Are they actually recessed, or is there a relatively flat glass cover almost flush with the ceiling?

Heartland has used many different kinds of light fixtures over the years on the various models. A picture would help.

donr827

When you replace a Halogen bulb I was told not to touch the new bulb with your fingers directly but to use a cloth. Suppose to cause the new bulb to burn out quicker. This may have changed in the past few years.
Don

capehank

This thread has been great, I was able to remove the lens cover. Now how about removing the bulb itself? What will the end result look like. I pulled on the bulb itself and had a bulb with 2 wires coming out of it. The bulb itself didn't look blown. I put the wires of the bulb back in the little holes thinking I just took the bulb apart. Thank you for the guidance in advance.

Here is a picture of the light, it is the best I could do.

Attachments

• light.jpg
    light.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 75

danemayer

This thread has been great, I was able to remove the lens cover. Now how about removing the bulb itself? What will the end result look like. I pulled on the bulb itself and had a bulb with 2 wires coming out of it. The bulb itself didn't look blown. I put the wires of the bulb back in the little holes thinking I just took the bulb apart. Thank you for the guidance in advance.

Here is a picture of the light, it is the best I could do.

A 2011 Bighorn would probably have a 12V DC Halogen 20W bulb with G4 base, like these from Amazon. You can also likely find them at most hardware stores.

danemayer

Yes, that is exactly what the bulb looks like. Thank you so much. Do I need to be careful handling this type of bulb?

Thank you.

Yes, some care is required. The oil from your skin will shorten the life of the bulb. I always handle halogen bulbs with tissue paper.

If you use the lights regularly, you might consider replacing the bulb with an LED that uses way less power and doesn't get hot. Here's a link.

capehank

Thank you for all your help with the bulb. I bought a replacement and installed it, no problems. However, I dropped the lens cover and need to replace that now. Any suggestions? I went to Amazon, but the description does not say anything about installing the cover. How do I know if it will work?

Thanks you again.

jbeletti

Thank you for all your help with the bulb. I bought a replacement and installed it, no problems. However, I dropped the lens cover and need to replace that now. Any suggestions? I went to Amazon, but the description does not say anything about installing the cover. How do I know if it will work?

Thanks you again.

That might be more of an issue as to my knowledge, Heartland no longer uses the recessed halogen lights and those are the ones with the glass covers. Most of the recessed LED lighting we use, uses a plastic lens are they generate only around 75F in heat.

That said, last I knew, with a club discount, the recessed LED lights with cover were under $20. And the fixture replacement is pretty straight forward. Might be time to consider upgrading all of them in the lower level and saving the old fixtures and bulbs for replacements on the upper deck. Just a thought.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

Thanks you again.

Jim I have LED bulbs with glass covers. Mine you give them a twist and pull them down.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'd call Heartland Customer Service for a replacement lens. That way you're assured it will fit.

Our '14 BH had glass lenses that screwed on over the ceiling LEDs. Our current '17 now has plastic snap in covers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for all your help with the bulb. I bought a replacement and installed it, no problems. However, I dropped the lens cover and need to replace that now. Any suggestions??

Thanks you again.
Yes, PM me with your address and I will mail one to you.

Peace
Dave