Help - Feedback on viability to alter new truck to tow Cyclone

Fiveoh

Hello everyone im new here just wanted some info from you guys, I recently purchased a 2016 f250SD sb srw, I got a killer deal, anyways the purpose of the truck was ,so could buy the cyclone 3611js, but reading all the input from everyone on this forum my excitement went down quickly, because it seems that I have the wrong truck, so my question is I read on fifthwheelst.com that if you go to a certified NHTSa to have it modified with an additional sticker placed , can this be a route I can go down ? thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

Re: Help

Hi Fiveoh,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

A sticker will not make your truck any more capable to pull that trailer.

You will need to pick a lighter trailer . . .

danemayer

As Dave has researched and written on Fifth Wheel Safe Towing, it is possible, and legal, within specific limits, to have an authorized alterer make changes and provide new labeling.

Whether it's cost effective is a different question.

Also, a short bed SRW may not be very stable in crosswinds, even if it's beefed up to handle the vertical and horizontal loads.

SNOKING

The dry pin weight is 3485, which would put most SRW trucks at or over there rear axle rating.
That trailer does not look like a very well thought out rig. Carry Capacity is quite low. A lot of that will go away in propane and water.
Fords 250 and 350 have similar tow specs. A set of 19.5" rims and tires would provide the rear tire capacity, then you have to address the Fords not so strong OEM springs with air bags or another aid. This is not what I recommend or would do myself, however many do it.

The 17,000 GVWR rating is within the specs for out RAM 3500 crewcab SR 4x4, however the dry pin weight would max out the rear axle.

VWR
17,000 lbs​

Dry Weight
15,305 lbs​

Hitch Weight
3,485 lbs​

Carry Capacity
1,635 lbs

Long and short of it is wrong trailer or wrong truck. I would want something(trailer) with more Carry Capacity. Our similar length BH3575el has 3050 of CC and a dry pin weight of 2435, or more than a half ton less.

Chris

mlpeloquin

Airbags and springs do not change the rating of the truck. Air bags do help with not bottoming out and so do beefed up springs, but the manufactures specifications for the truck do not change.

SNOKING

Airbags and springs do not change the rating of the truck. Air bags do help with not bottoming out and so do beefed up springs, but the manufactures specifications for the truck do not change.

And you believe that all Hotshot haulers do not exceed the manufactures specifications? Manufacturers specifications are warranty issues. No pickup will exceed the Federal Bridge Weight laws that the states enforce. In a state like Washington that licenses tonnage, if you are properly licensed and do not exceed tire ratings you are happy to go! In states that do not license tonnage, if you stay under tire ratings no one is going to look twice! RV internet weight police are laughed at by hotshot haulers. Just saying! Our 2001.5 RAM with a 8800 GVWR was licensed at 12K and legal in all 50 states as long as the tire limits were not exceeded. Our new 11,700 GVWR 3500 SRW is licensed to 12K also. I could have paid for 14K.

Chris

danemayer

RV internet weight police are laughed at by hotshot haulers. Just saying!

Some people think overloading the truck when towing is unsafe and could lead to accident or injury.
Some people think overloading the truck when towing may cause excess wear on the truck.
Some people think overloading the truck when towing could cause legal issues for towing overweight.
Some people think overloading the truck when towing could cause insurance issues if there's an accident.
Some people think overloading the truck when towing could cause liability issues if there's an accident.

Are all of these thoughts correct? Maybe. Maybe not.

Maybe it depends on how overweight the truck is, and the make/model/year of your truck, and where you're towing, and what your insurance policy fine print says, and whether someone sees you as having a lot of money, and other factors.

It's always up to the reader to consider the advice and decide what to do.

Or you can join the hotshots and laugh at the advice given.

Of course, it's easier to laugh if you have enough truck for your trailer. Not as funny if you're the one trying to decide what to do.

Bones

If it wasn't for my dually the wife, kids and myself may not be here right now. I may have lost money but the stability was well worth the price and ease of mind. By all means we should have flipped over. I will say this once and I will say it again and again. Have more truck than you need you do not know what some other idiot will do when you only have a couple hundred feet to make a decision.

justafordguy

Your new F250 Diesel is a very capable truck and with air bags, the correct tires/wheels, and the correct registration will easily,safely, and legally (in my state anyway) pull that cyclone. But, you will be well beyond the manufacturer set limits which will probably void any warranty. Trust me, you don't want to be without a warranty on any of the new Diesel trucks. ;)

Fiveoh

Your new F250 Diesel is a very capable truck and with air bags, the correct tires/wheels, and the correct registration will easily,safely, and legally (in my state anyway) pull that cyclone. But, you will be well beyond the manufacturer set limits which will probably void any warranty. Trust me, you don't want to be without a warranty on any of the new Diesel trucks. ;)

Ok truck is stock, 20inch rims, with Michelin tires, all stock,,, I totally understand everyones point on being ale to stop which brings me to the next question, diference between 250srw350drw? Frame? Extra tires a rear! gearing373/410?, extra leaf spring?, brakes ?What im getting at other than gearing, and extra tires,, its the same darn truck!!! Thank you everyone!!! also I currently have a class A commercial license , (Not that it matters)

Bones

Your buying the sticker on the inside of the truck, a warranty, slightly bigger axle with different gearing, dual wheel axle, and dual wheel axle bed. Stability when making emergency maneuvers.

- - - Updated - - -

A 250 will tow it. I did. Just keep inspecting your tires. Sometimes they will wear faster on the rear from the loads

Fiveoh

Your buying the sticker on the inside of the truck, a warranty, slightly bigger axle with different gearing, dual wheel axle, and dual wheel axle bed. Stability when making emergency maneuvers.

- - - Updated - - -

A 250 will tow it. I did. Just keep inspecting your tires. Sometimes they will wear faster on the rear from the loads
Thanks a lot everyone!

IronJ

The brakes/ brake boosters are diff...the stopping is WAY better with a dually...(aside from the 9000+ lb rawr)...

You probably have the 355 rear and the 373 or 430 on the dually are way more grade friendly with a big ol trailer like my 420...

I've towed with both....the srw has pulled it several k miles with no issue....

The dually just does it ......better.....and it's way nice to have the 37gal tank vs 26 on short bed (I swapped mine to a 65gal titan anyway)

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish