Happijac-bunks-UtVs and modifications

Lynn1130

I just purchased a Honda Pioneer 700-4. I had done much research and knew that there was not enough head clearance for the roll cage and had planned to either remove the cage when transporting or have the cage modified. I was not looking forward to either. My happijack system has the lift braces under the lower bunk that are about 4 inches wide. This was fine for the two Honda quads but a problem for the Pioneer.

I called Happijac this morning to see if smaller brackets were available. They are not, but I found out that they are about a month away from a new bracket for the lower bunk that will allow the bunk/seat to be flipped up or down (I don't know which) and stored on the side of the garage. This opens the clearance to 80" from floor to the bottom of the top bunk. Boy am I anxious to get this mod. I also found that I can remove the bunk/seats to load the Pioneer and reinstall after unloading. I don't like that method as much but either keeps me from having to remove the roll cage and drop it for transport.

I will report as the mod progresses.

I tried to edit the photo and could not get it done so I then tried to delete and could not get that done either so it stays sideways.

Attachments

• IMG_0522.JPG
    IMG_0522.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 245

avvidclif

Let us know when the folding brackets come out. I would be interested unless they are higher than a cats back.

Nbomar

Interesting. My pioneer 1000 has at least 5-6" of clearance on the bottom of my bunks on my road warrior. Wouldn't think there is a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

You don't have any info as to what rig you have. I see it is a Warrior but what year? later years Cyclones have a different brace that holds the lower bunk. The roll cage on my Pioneer is 76" at the highest point. If you have two bunks I would be interested in knowing what floor to bottom of the bottom bunk measure at. With the bottom bunk out of the picture I would have 80" to the bottom of the top bunk.

Does your Warrior have double bunks and does the bottom bunk turn into seating for the table that then goes between? Maybe a different design but I would be interested in knowing.

Out of curiosity, I pulled up different Warrior floor plans. Not even close to my Cyclone.

Nbomar

I have a 2014 road warrior RW415. It has the double bunks. If I remember correctly it has 86" to the bottom bunk. The road warriors are basically a cyclone with less options and different colors.

Lynn1130

Not saying you do not. I am saying that yours and mine are not the same floor design and the difference of three years probably makes a difference in garages. I have 74" to the bottom bunk, if the 4" bunk supports were not in the way and they are, so I have 70" of clearance to get a 78" roll cage in. I am sure that Heartland heard from UTV owners and made some adjustments. The clearance I have was fine for my two Honda quads but when UTVs started becoming more popular that clearance was not enough. Also I am guessing that since the number on yours is 415 that it is somewhere near 41 feet long and has a 12 foot garage. I could not find that model listed anywhere to check. I am 35 feet long with a 10 foot garage. Apples and Oranges.

Nbomar

Gotcha. I didn't know your year and model. I thought the difference might be in 700 vs 1000 cage height which would have been more curious to me. Anyways, carry on.

Lynn1130

OK, so long story but after a year of tracking this mod I found that it is still in the works and no future date for happening, however there is another mod that will allow what I am looking for and the parts total about $420 through Happijac. I have been emailing with them and this mod involves changing out parts of the trolley and some new lower brackets for the bottom bunk/bench. My contact has been Gary Scothern at Happijac in Utah but I do have a parts list and cost if someone is interested and wants to PM me.

I tried to load the video of how this works and it will not let me load that large of a file. Basically this allows the lower bunk to fold down against the garage wall. The top bunk does not change.

Attachments

• FullView.pdf
    340 KB · Views: 118

PondSkum

This would be awesome for me! My Ranger cage bumps the support braces of the lower bunk. I would like to lift my ranger but not an option unless I can modify the bunks!

26bb5fefe39b09a683b13f95d72d428e.jpg

Edit:

I have a 2015 Road Warrior RW348 and it's 75" from floor to bottom of the support braces on my lower bunk.

Lynn1130

IMG_0578_LI.jpg
Mine will not even come close to fitting in with the lower bunk on. Right now I have to remove both sides, store them along the side of the garage, and reinstall them after arriving at camp. Then I go through the same routine to get home. That involves either two people to steady one side while removing screws or balancing it on saw horses to remove and reinstall. It is 3-4 hours labor for a shop to do the install but it will be worth it to me since it involves removing both sides of the trolley to install the new "slot trolley" lifts. Just trying to remove the upper bunk to do that would be a major PIA so I will pay to have it done. Plus I have no desire to do this work in 105 temps with 40% humidity.

PondSkum

The upper bunk appears really easy to remove if you have a helping hand. It's just 4 quick pins and it should lift up and off the support brackets.

Lynn1130

Mine bunk is not the slotted trolley so it has to be unscrewed and taken out. You might check yours because if the middle/bottom trolley is the slotted system you may not have to do any more than purchase the bunk brackets and locks. With mine I have to remove the entire system to get to the trolleys from the bottom and replace them with slotted. PM me an email and I will send you the info that I have.

PondSkum

Can't zoom in too far, but on mine, where I've circled in your pic, there are little quick release pins. Then the bunk will lift off of those brackets for removal. Now to remove the brackets from the rail, that's another story!
5f2e0ec36ab9ee119eb66868cfc31819.jpg

Lynn1130

Yeah, probably so. I had not looked at it that close. But my big issue is doing this job in July in Phoenix. Not going to happen, by me anyway.

The brackets do not need to come off since the top bunk attachment remains the same but the rails need to come off of the wall so that you can get to the bottom of the trolley to make the changes. It probably can be done without but the instructions say it is easier by removing them.

PondSkum

Yeah, probably so. I had not looked at it that close. But my big issue is doing this job in July in Phoenix. Not going to happen, by me anyway.

The brackets do not need to come off since the top bunk attachment remains the same but the rails need to come off of the wall so that you can get to the bottom of the trolley to make the changes. It probably can be done without but the instructions say it is easier by removing them.

oh yeah, the heat is too much in July... even here in TX.. the humidity is killer.