SOLVED - Interior Panel bowing out

Domi

I noticed about a month ago that the interior panel just forward of the slide that covers the forward cabinet had started to bow. Since that time the bow has gotten worse and has popped off a piece of molding. I have seen there is a 1X2 back between this panel and the cabinet that I could attach to but I am not sure what to use to attach it with (brads, nail, screw, glue). There is nothing now holding it except for the molding.

I have attached pictures. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John

Attachments

• DSC_2900.jpg
    DSC_2900.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC_2904.jpg
    DSC_2904.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC_2905.jpg
    DSC_2905.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC_2906.jpg
    DSC_2906.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 111

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Re: Interior Panel bowing out

John,

I had some trim doing the same thing. I used Power Grab adhesive and some small finish nails to hold it in place until the adhesive set.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

I also had a similar problem with the panel on a slide wall near the trim. Used construction adhesive and clamps to set it. In your case, using a tube of construction adhesive with a caulking gun to "squirt" in behind the panel and then tacking it back down with narrow crown staples should do the trick. You could try brads (air nailer type), but since that panel is so thin, getting the pressure right to not shoot clean through it might be problematic.

But, does the panel seem to lay flat when you press it back or does it want to flex and stay warped? That could present a different problem.

mlpeloquin

Adhesive and finish nails. Put the finish nails in at an angle down and up. This will help them stay in with all the movement the RV does going down the road.

JohnDar

A good adhesive is PL-400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Domi

I also had a similar problem with the panel on a slide wall near the trim. Used construction adhesive and clamps to set it. In your case, using a tube of construction adhesive with a caulking gun to "squirt" in behind the panel and then tacking it back down with narrow crown staples should do the trick. You could try brads (air nailer type), but since that panel is so thin, getting the pressure right to not shoot clean through it might be problematic.

But, does the panel seem to lay flat when you press it back or does it want to flex and stay warped? That could present a different problem.

That is an interesting question that I investigated tonight. It tries to stay warped. It looks like there is an S in the panel with it bowing in at the bottom, then bowing out where it has popped the molding (see new pictures). I tried to push it in where the board goes across and it goes in but the bowing is still out and in below that. When I push that in to the bow now moves above the board in the wall. It is like the panel is to long for the spot or got swollen or something.

Any further suggestions with this new information?

Thanks,

John

Attachments

• DSC_2920.jpg
    DSC_2920.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_2913.jpg
    DSC_2913.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_2918.jpg
    DSC_2918.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 74

Bones

That is an interesting question that I investigated tonight. It tries to stay warped. It looks like there is an S in the panel with it bowing in at the bottom, then bowing out where it has popped the molding (see new pictures). I tried to push it in where the board goes across and it goes in but the bowing is still out and in below that. When I push that in to the bow now moves above the board in the wall. It is like the panel is to long for the spot or got swollen or something.

Any further suggestions with this new information?

Thanks,

John

Can you pull the panel off and trim it?

JohnDar

Removing it and trimming it would be an option if you can get to all the staples, if it was just cut too long. Did any water come in contact with it? That panel is a thin sheet of pressed board (MDF) sandwiched between two thin veneers. Interior grade MDF does not like moisture. It's also hard to make it fit a space too small for it.

mlpeloquin

You might want this looked into further. The wall was not warped when new and the trim fit. Is the floor or the roof now putting pressure on the wall? You might want to make sure that you don't have a structure problem.

JohnDar

From the looks of it, the bowing is across the width of that panel, like it's being compressed from above or below. Unfortunately, trying to diagnose it over the Internet is difficult at best. If you can, get it to your dealer if still under warranty.

Sorry for the long response delay. Working a 16 hour FD shift since 0800 and it's been a little busy.

Domi

Sorry for not looking at this thread sooner I have been busy my self.

We did have a water intrusion event when we were on vacation last month. I think when we pulled out of Gig Harbor the slide had water on it and we got a bunch of water inside. Enough that two throw rugs were wet ,not water pouring out but wet to touch. We dried out all the throw rugs and the floor was dry when I saw it that evening but I know there was water in the area. We have not seen it since and I am trying to figuar out how we got water inside. The top of the slide is the only thing I can think of. It was bowed before this event but it is worse now. I do not think we had any other time since we have had the trailer that there was water intrusion. I am now checking the top of the slide before we move the trailer to make sure we are not getting water there.

I cannot get the panel out, the slide covers at least a foot of it even when fully extended (or at least I do not see how to do it). I am thinking of taking a Dremal tool and shaving a 1/4 inch or so off the bottom if I can figuar out how to get all the way to the back wall.

We are second owners so there would be no warranty, but a thought if it was newer.

Thanks for all the help. It might be a couple of weeks until I get to this but I will post the resolution when I do.

John

whp4262

I had a panel in my Cyclone that bowed out. I used a yard stick on the floor at the base of the panel as a gauge to run the blade on and a Dremel multi tool to trim the bottom of the panel.

JohnDar

Water intrusion from the top of the slide indicates that the seals may not be deploying properly (or they are damaged). When you can, take a look at the top of the slide and see if the rubber seal is deployed outwards from the wall or if it's twisted and folded. Same for the seals along the sides. That can create a channel for water.

A slide topper will help prevent water getting in on the top, even if the seal isn't sitting properly, but not the sides. Even with toppers on my slides, I get up there and flex any areas into proper position when I set up (we're set up for the season).

Domi

SOLVED - Re: Interior Panel bowing out

Problem fixed:

Used a dremal tool and a miter saw to cut a bit off the bottom of the panel. As soon as I get the last chunks out the bow went away. I think the miter saw might have been the better choice to start with and if I have to do it again that is what I will use.

Picture attached, blue tape is where the bow was.

Thanks for all the help.

John

Attachments

• DSC_2923.jpg
    DSC_2923.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 76

Westwind

Re: SOLVED - Re: Interior Panel bowing out

looks great! Definitely did a good job on it. I always feel the owner does a better job on interior cabinet repairs then a dealership, they are always under the stopwatch and taking their time to figure out how to do a good job isn't in their manual.