Selling an RV and/or trade in

DirtyMax88

Good Morning everyone. As some may have seen, we recently posted our '16 Landmark Newport for sale on here. I am hoping to get some opinions and or words of advice on selling or trading in and RV. As I have mentioned before this was our first substantial RV purchase. Pop ups are easy to sell and most can be done on CL. We want to switch to a Cyclone. Has anyone had success selling a high-end Landmark at all, or is it just worth the hit to trade it in on the Cyclone, and hope they give you enough to be semi-content. I know there are millions of 5'ers out there so trying to find that small percentage that want a Landmark is probably going to be tough? What can we expect if we can't sell it ourselves and decide to trade it in? It doesn't seem easy to find out what our Landmark is really worth. I might have it listed to high, but in my opinion, it's still like new condition.

Thank you all in advance! And have a good one!//heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon6.png

-Will

SNOKING

Good Morning everyone. As some may have seen, we recently posted our '16 Landmark Newport for sale on here. I am hoping to get some opinions and or words of advice on selling or trading in and RV. As I have mentioned before this was our first substantial RV purchase. Pop ups are easy to sell and most can be done on CL. We want to switch to a Cyclone. Has anyone had success selling a high-end Landmark at all, or is it just worth the hit to trade it in on the Cyclone, and hope they give you enough to be semi-content. I know there are millions of 5'ers out there so trying to find that small percentage that want a Landmark is probably going to be tough? What can we expect if we can't sell it ourselves and decide to trade it in? It doesn't seem easy to find out what our Landmark is really worth. I might have it listed to high, but in my opinion, it's still like new condition.

Thank you all in advance! And have a good one!//heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon6.png

-Will

Anyway you cut it you are going to take a hit. Does your state have sales tax on such vehicles/trailers and is there an offset on trading it in on a new trailer. Sometimes you can come close with the sales tax offset being thousand of dollars.

I do not know what you want to haul in the TH'r, but it might be cheaper to two it with a second vehicle for the next few years.

This is also a lesson to all to be sure that what you are purchasing is what you REALLY want and will keep for quite a few years. Or that you are in a financial position to absorb a lost.

Chris

DirtyMax88

Anyway you cut it you are going to take a hit. Does your state have sales tax on such vehicles/trailers and is there an offset on trading it in on a new trailer. Sometimes you can come close with the sales tax offset being thousand of dollars.

I do not know what you want to haul in the TH'r, but it might be cheaper to two it with a second vehicle for the next few years.

This is also a lesson to all to be sure that what you are purchasing is what you REALLY want and will keep for quite a few years. Or that you are in a financial position to absorb a lost.

Chris

We are located in Md, we have a 6% sales tax (which we paid when we applied for tags, since we purchased it in the state of Va). As far as an offset on a new trailer, I'm not sure and haven't heard of that. Please explain a bit.

Yes, this is definitely a good lesson, and we are kind of kicking ourselves, because we did look at a Road Warrior or two, and decided we weren't going to take our toys (m/c's or atvs) with us. But have since changed our mind, as well as having a 90lb Lab that just loves to run-a-muck! As well as the convenience of having an area to come in from the rain or nasty weather, and not track all of it through the trailer. We thought we would have the LM Newport forever honestly! But have since changed our mind. I guess taking a few grand hit isn't a huge deal, but 10k or more isn't something we would be happy about. We did put a decent amount down on the LM, and were hoping to get some back to put towards the Cyclone.

Thanks Chris!

SNOKING

In Washington, they figure the sales tax on such items, as price of new item minus the trade in value and you are taxed only the difference between them.

So if you sell the item yourself the new item takes the full new tax hit! Trade it in and you save quite a few thousand on the tax on the new one.

Works out well at times.

Also how hard you worked to get the best deal on the existing trailer effects the out come.

We ended up selling our previous trailer for 16.5 and they had offered 11 trade in, so that worked out better for us, even with a 8.2% tax rate.

Chris

DirtyMax88

In Washington, they figure the sales tax on such items, as price of new item minus the trade in value and you are taxed only the difference between them.

So if you sell the item yourself the new item takes the full new tax hit! Trade it in and you save quite a few thousand on the tax on the new one.

Works out well at times.

Also how hard you worked to get the best deal on the existing trailer effects the out come.

We ended up selling our previous trailer for 16.5 and they had offered 11 trade in, so that worked out better for us, even with a 8.2% tax rate.

Chris

That is good to know, thank you! I will dicsuss with the dealership. They are supposed to get back to me today with some numbers on the new unit and trade in!

Garypowell

We have always traded in because FL is one of those differential tax states. And I don't want the problem of trying to sell a rig.

Just keep in mind to watch the numbers so you know what the trade in actually is.

Lynn1130

Not knowing your state's tax laws it is difficult to say but in Arizona we do not pay tax on private sales so what I look at is the difference in what they will give me in trade as opposed to what price I expect to sell it. I then figure the difference in private sale rather than trade. If I can sell it for more than the difference in sales tax, with trade I sell it. Generally you will get wholesale minus some figure for a trade and can sell it for mid-book or better.

pegmikef

I know some folks that have done pretty good selling them. Some folks have to sell if they are buying from an on-line dealer that doesn't take trades or really low balls the trade value.

On both my trades, I have done quite well as well as negotiating a good discounted price on the one I am buying. I usually shoot for 30 - 35 percent off the MSRP for the trailer and each of the options. On my North Trail I managed to get about 32 percent off, but it came of the lot and it was the end of the year. . . but on my BH, which I ordered with a lot of options, the best I could do was 28 percent. I would try both. Advertise it on Craig's and any other available media and make sure your asking price is in the ad. At the same time try negotiating with the dealer regarding their trade value. Good Luck.

DirtyMax88

I know some folks that have done pretty good selling them. Some folks have to sell if they are buying from an on-line dealer that doesn't take trades or really low balls the trade value.

On both my trades, I have done quite well as well as negotiating a good discounted price on the one I am buying. I usually shoot for 30 - 35 percent off the MSRP for the trailer and each of the options. On my North Trail I managed to get about 32 percent off, but it came of the lot and it was the end of the year. . . but on my BH, which I ordered with a lot of options, the best I could do was 28 percent. I would try both. Advertise it on Craig's and any other available media and make sure your asking price is in the ad. At the same time try negotiating with the dealer regarding their trade value. Good Luck.

Thanks for the info!

osims

bsims
I saw your for sale post on here, keep in mind if you advertise on Craig's list or something else the warranty only covers the original owner.

DirtyMax88

I saw your for sale post on here, keep in mind if you advertise on Craig's list or something else the warranty only covers the original owner.

Yes, Dan mentioned that in his comment. I will make sure I take that out of my other ads. Thank you!

Gaffer

You should be able to get 30% off the MSRP on your toy hauler. But you will only get low book on your trade. Don't spend a lot of time making it pristine. It won't make a difference in the price. If you can't get this deal or better shop elsewhere.

RVFun4Us

-Will

Will, good luck on selling your Landmark. I believe the forum rules disallow posting rigs for sale on here. Have seen two in the last few days (maybe you were one of them) where the ad was pulled for not following forum rules. So you might check and see if your ad is still there.

danemayer

I believe the forum rules disallow posting rigs for sale on here. Have seen two in the last few days (maybe you were one of them) where the ad was pulled for not following forum rules. So you might check and see if your ad is still there.
Forum Rules allow posts to sell your Heartland RV or other gear by creating a new thread in the ITEMS FOR SALE subforum. Moderators close the thread so that questions are kept between prospective buyer and the seller.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our area is plastered with RV's for sale . . . and most of them have been there for a long time (2-3 years or longer).

We opted to trade our two year old TT in last year as we just didn't want to not only have that trailer sitting around like the rest of them, not to mention that we really can't afford two trailer payments at the same time.

It was nice to just get it done and move on with our new trailer.

DirtyMax88

Our area is plastered with RV's for sale . . . and most of them have been there for a long time (2-3 years or longer).

We opted to trade our two year old TT in last year as we just didn't want to not only have that trailer sitting around like the rest of them, not to mention that we really can't afford two trailer payments at the same time.

It was nice to just get it done and move on with our new trailer.

We appreciate everyone's thoughts and input. After talking to a few dealers, some wholesale people and reading this forum alot, we think we are going to just try and trade it in. Our closest dealer offered us an OK trade in value, so hopefully we can negotiate a heck of a deal the new Cyclone. We will most likely wait till later on in the year, or January of next year, so we can do it all "off season" so to speak. We aren't full timers so we will winterize late November or early December until about March, so that's a perfect time to trade in and order a new Cyclone. If we can sell it before then, that's awesome. Thanks again everyone! Y'all have a good one! If any of you all ever make it to the east coast (MD, VA, NC area), maybe we will run into each other!

avvidclif

Probably about the same time as your trade-in value will drop as not as many people are buying in the winter. My 2 cents.