Replacing Refer with residential unit (Out with the old, in with the new)

sjandbj

Well the mods and upgrades continue.
I am replacing the old Norcold unit, 18 months old, with a new Whirlpool refrigerator. I have read several posts on this but I am hoping that those that have done this in the past can share any tricks or gotchas that relate to the exchange. From all I can see and measure it is going to be a tight fit with little to no room for error. I realize it is a big job but it cannot be any bigger than installing the solar system. Thanks for all the information and support. This forum has been a life saver.

Regards,
Steve

sjandbj

The end to a long weekend but the end result was well worth the effort. Ice cream frozen at 0 degrees and milk at 34 degrees. it took a
about 3 hours to remove the old Norcold, 6 hours to modify the cabinet and 5 hours to install the new Whirlpool refrigerator. The hardest part was getting the old base out. That piece of wood must have had 300 staples in it.
I did not need to install any inverters since I did that as part of my solar project. More time was spent measuring 15 times before cutting once but the end result sure turned out well. I have attached some photos for all to see.

Steve
DSC_5248.jpg2.jpgDSC_5257.jpg21.jpg4.jpg7.jpg10.jpg11.jpg13.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_5256.jpg
    DSC_5256.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 110

ksucats

I'm just being curious since I've not seen it addressed nor pictures posted -- What are you all doing about the vent holes after you upgrade to residential refrigerators? Although I have a residential refrigerator in our LM, I'm sure others would like to know.

sjandbj

I'm just being curious since I've not seen it addressed nor pictures posted -- What are you all doing about the vent holes after you upgrade to residential refrigerators? Although I have a residential refrigerator in our LM, I'm sure others would like to know.

I am still on the fence regarding this. The upper one I plan to seal up with mesh screen and aluminum tape. The lower one I was thinking about just mesh screen to allow the heat from the compress to vent out. I still do not know the best solution. If i did not have any vents then the hot air would just come in the inside of the rig but since they are already there I am still thinking about it.

Steve

danemayer

Maybe you should line the interior surface and insulate, but retain the ability to remove the panels to gain access.

ksucats

I have the residential in my LM and the DW did notice some heat coming from the refrigerator area. Helped keep the coach warmer this past winter but definitely not sure how that will work this coming July. I like the idea of a vent for the heat but, again in the cold, I have to wonder how to keep that air from infiltrating the coach. In any case, appreciate the responses. I'm sure they will help others as they do mods to their coaches.