Landmark - Clothes Washer Standpipe P trap

AZBarry

Can you tell me if the clothes washer standpipe has a "P" trap installed somewhere in the wall or underbelly? It seems that occasionally I am getting a sewer smell coming from the W/D closet drain that might be coming from the RV park sewer system.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

It does have a pee trap but it would be dry if you don't have a washer. Your question just got me thinking about mine. I think there might be a plug in the end. If not there will be soon.
32b2e8031eca9142a59e1ba7e0c53e95.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
In our ElkRidge we used to get grey tank smell in the closet where the w/d hookups where, back before we had a w/d.

Somewhere in that drain line is also a clean out access that should be capped. (Ours was behind the dresser drawers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Most likely the P-trap is located in the wall behind an access panel behind the washer (or in the spot where it would go). If no machine installed, there should be a plug that screws into the fitting for the washer drain hose by the water spigots. The photo shows mine in the front closet while I was installing the drain pan.

Attachments

• Washer Plumbing Access.jpg
    Washer Plumbing Access.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 64

AZBarry

Jess and to the others who replied, thanks. Here is some additional information. There is a washer and dryer installed and my wife has used the washer several times and just recently. We purchased this Newport used and this is our first summer using it. The smell just started this week. Tomorrow I'll check behind the access panel in the basement storage. The upstairs standpipe access panel is in the W/D closet next to the washer and is not accessible without removing the W and D. The only other option is to cut a new access hole in the clothes closet wall next to the W/D closet. Any other thoughts will be appreciated.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you've been using it, the P-trap should not be dried out. Look for a leak or smell migrating from somewhere else. If you're leaving your gray tanks open to the sewer, you risk getting the stink coming back from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garypowell

I think by code you'll find the P trap in the wall behind the washer dryer. Don't know your rig or set up but when I installed our W/D the hose bib to attach to had a protrusion on it that kept the hose from fully seating.

Could be be there has been a drip back there that is finally starting to smell.

Point here is to check around the base for any dampness and in basement too.

SNOKING

I use board to create a Pee-trap in the sewer hose when I have the grey water tanks open.

Here is the routine I have developed over the Arizona winters.

1. Get a clear sight adapter and put it between the trailer and the sewer hose.
2. I leave the black tank closed for a week at a time. Grey tanks open.
3. I form a pee trap in the sewer hose with a couple boards, one 2x and a 4x4.
4. To dump and flush, I remove the pee trap boards.
5. Close the grey water tanks.
6. Open the black water tank and turn on the hose to the built in flush system.
7. Watch the sight tube until I am down to just hose water coming out.
8. Go inside and do two full bowl super flushes. "Bomb the Pile!" Note: Full bowl means filling the bowl to the bottom of the upper rim.
9. Go back outside and view discharge.
10. Close the black water tank and run the flush water in for four(4) minutes. Do not let anyone distract you at this point.
11. Open and drain and repeat 10 again.
12. Flush a bit and verify that you have nice clear water coming out of the tank. If not go back to step 8 and start again.
13. When you have nice clear discharge, put the pee trap boards back the sewer line and fill the pee trap.
14. Close the black water tank and add about a minute worth of water to the tank with the flush hose.
15. Secure the flush hose. I have a little inline valve adapter at the side of the trailer and the other end get turned off.
16. Open the grey water tanks and go add your chemical to the tank.

I have had the burping a couple of times, however the super flushes seem to have fixed that issue.

Having piles in not good!!

Chris

aRAYwego

I dont have a w/d and was getting a horrible grey tank smell in the w/d closet as well. For quite a while, I would uncap the washer drain line and pour water to fill the p-trap. After several unsuccessful attempts at stopping the horrible smell, I was banging my head on the door frame (literally) and noticed a tapping noise after I hit the jamb. Looked behind the little board and found the grey tank vent pipe going from the drain line to the roof. As soon as I touched the vent pipe, it came loose from the y-pipe!!! It wasn't glued. Climbed on the roof and the pipe was not long enough to clear the roof line either. I purchased a short piece of pipe and coupler and made the repair ensuring 1/4" sticking out the roof. With temps between 115* and 118* this week, I think I have finally ended the stinky closet issue.