Wheelchair access

MTPockets

We are Big Horn owners but considering the Torque travel trailer to accommodate our new need for wheelchair access. The Big Horn is listed on the for sale forum. Using the ramp to drive electric wheelchair into rig then transfer to manual chair for inside use seems to make sense. Does anyone have experience with wheelchair access inside? Primarily door widths for entry from garage, bathroom doorway and bedside access... We have not seen one of these trailers but plan to do so in the near future. Better yet, does Heartland have any plans in the works for an ADA trailer?

danemayer

Terry,

Our neighbor at home recently bought an old Cyclone Travel Trailer and set it up for wheelchair access. He had to widen the doorway between garage and living area, but didn't have too much difficulty with that. I think he added a piece of steel over the doorway. And I think he added some type of cable assist as a backup to get up and down the ramp in case it was slippery.

MTPockets

Terry,

Our neighbor at home recently bought an old Cyclone Travel Trailer and set it up for wheelchair access. He had to widen the doorway between garage and living area, but didn't have too much difficulty with that. I think he added a piece of steel over the doorway. And I think he added some type of cable assist as a backup to get up and down the ramp in case it was slippery.
That's an option as well. Our thinking with the travel trailer is eliminating the inside steps up to bedroom. Making the doorways wider, if structure will allow, is an option too. Doing so at the factory would be ideal; hence my thinking out loud about Heartland making an ADA accessible trailer. I know there is one company in Elkhart that does build one, but I wanna stay with Heartland.