Switch Functions 2007 Trail Runner

Just purchased a used 2007 Trail Runner 3200 with a bunk house in the back. There are a series of switches on a panel on the left as you enter the camper just above the cabinet doors under the back of the sink. There are two 110V switches that I can not identify. One has a red LED switch that glows red when it is on and the other is a regular light switch. There are two separate 110 GFI outlets in this same row as well as the slide-out switch, water heater, and water pump. Any help or info would be appreciated. (tried to add a pic but could not figure out how to do that.) Thanks! David

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
David, welcome to this great forum.
The red switch is likely for the 120 volt side of the water heater. Do not turn it on when the water heater is empty. There is a risk for damaging the electric element.
If you have a receptacle outside under the awning the other switch may control that. Handy for outdoor lights.

Peace
Dave

I have a separate switch for the water heater. At home I have the trailer connected to a 20 amp circuit to run the A/C. Have not tried the hot water but could turn off the AC and try the hot water. Could the red switch be for the power inverter? I will check the other switch for the outlets under the awning. Thanks for helping me. There is a lot to learn. I'm an electrical engineer so understand power mgmt. when not connected to a 30 amp circuit. We had a 220 volt circuit installed when we built the house but this trailer is 120 V. Again, thanks for your help Dave.

trying to add a picture -

danemayer

David,

The forum software won't let you post pictures until you get a few more posts.

Most of our water heaters have a small rocker switch for the propane operation and a lighted wall switch for the electric.

We have a collection of owner-written user guides that you may find helpful, including one on Water Heaters. Here's a link. You can also get there by clicking on the TOOLS tab at top of page and selecting HUG - Heartland User Guides.

The Power Converter in your trailer (converts 120V AC to 12V DC) is not on a switch. If you have an inverter (12V DC to 120V AC), it would have been installed by a previous owner and could be switched depending on what was installed. But unless you have a specific reason to think that an inverter was added to your trailer, I wouldn't assume you have one.

Dave - thanks - the regular light switch is definitely for the electrical outlet on the outside of the trailer just under the awning. Definitely convenient if we every hang Christmas or partly lights around the awning.

Dan - thanks!! - that would make a lot of sense. If the AC is on and I flip the light switch with the red LED (not the rocker switch) I can hear the AC "bog" down a bit so I know current is going somewhere! Much appreciated.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The home type wall switch that has the RED off/on knob is the 120V water heater switch. Never turn it on unless the H/W tank is full. You can use both the 120V and propane switches together for faster hot water recovery. Yes the 120V element does draw lots of AMP's when on.

Your A/c is probably drawing close to 15 Amp and the 120V H/W element could be drawing more than 5 Amp's. So do the math....you trying to use more AMP's than your 20 AMP service can supply. Make sure you are using a heavy duty extension cord so you don't let all the smoke out of it.