High elevation towing

TanW

1. High elevation travel
  2. Hello fellow Heartland Owners,

My wife and I recently purchased a Heartland 29 BHCK 5th wheel. We've taken a few short trips and plan to travel to Silverton, Colorado the last week of August. My tow vehicle is a 2015 ford F250 diesel 4x4. I do not have any experience towing in higher elevation. Based my tow vehicles specifications, I am confident it can handle towing higher elevations / steeper grades. It's the person behind the wheel (me) that needs the SAFETY information. Any research or "good ole " experience information about this type of RV travel will be much appreciated.

thanks​

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I don't see any issues towing with your TV. It should be just fine. The only thing I would watch is the engine and trans temps on long pull's. Use your exhaust brake and tow/haul on steep down grades. To keep your down hill speeds under control you can apply the trailer brakes only now and then and then use both TV and trailer brakes. Ya just don't want to get the brakes HOT.

danemayer

On descents, you want to go SLOW. Keep your speed down to no more than 35 mph. 30 is better. Engine brake ON. Lower gear if necessary. Flashers ON.

If your speed creeps up to 35, brake for a few seconds to get back down to 30.

The point is that if you let your speed get up to 40 or 45, you'll be doing a lot of braking to get under control for the next curve. And if your brakes aren't in tiptop condition, you may not be able to control your speed at that point.

Going up the mountain, it's easy to get stuck behind a very slow heavy vehicle. Once that happens, you'll usually be trapped because traffic in the other lanes will be moving much faster. So while in the right hand lane, if you're able to keep your speed up with traffic, keep your eye out for slow moving vehicles ahead of you and give yourself plenty of time to change lanes to get around them.

Carleen

I'm a native to Colorado and have been hauling over these passes for years- Here are the tricks I have learned:
Because you have a Diesel, you will not notice any loss of power.
Watch the hill descent signs and hang with the Semi's.
Don't ride your breaks. If you are going too fast, step on your brakes and slow down to 25-30 mpg and let off. Your rig will gradually start speeding up again. Repeat the process... You may think you are impairing traffic behind you, but the experienced will be doing the same thing. If you ride your brakes- you will smoke them.
Use the "Tow-haul" mode at all times.
When climbing or descending a hill and you are doing less than 30 mpg, turn on your flashers (you will notice others doing the same thing).
I have a 2011 F-350 Diesel and thought it did wonderful. The exhaust brake will function automatically without you really knowing it. You should do great!

Tombstonejim

Those of us that live in the high desert think long grades and steep hills are normal.
Most really steep places have truck lanes. Don't get caught up in the I'm gonna be the fastest game. Don't be afraid to pull in behind the trucks going 40 MPH and follow them up and down the hills. Your engine, brakes and fuel gauge will thank you. The worst thing you can do is pull a long grade a 3000 plus RPM and plus 30 PSI of boost and then reach the top of the hill and just back it off and coast down the back side, The temperature change on your turbo and exhaust manifolds will be tremendous. It is the equivalent of taking a manifold that is so hot you can see threw it and pouring a bucket of ice water on it. It may take it a few times but in the long haul things are gonna break.

Some of the roads in Silverton area can be intimidating with few if no guard rails. Don't let the tailgaters push you into dangerous situations. Use the pull offs often to let em by.

I have never had to use one but you might want to think about how and what you would do if you ever need a runaway truck ramp.

Carleen

I have never had to use one but you might want to think about how and what you would do if you ever need a runaway truck ramp.

In my Dad's younger days- he wanted to see if his Jeep could climb a runaway truck ramp. Destroyed the Jeep once all 4 wheels left the pavement. Gravel was in every place it shouldn't have been. He had to call a wrecker to pull him out. Like I said- it was his younger days... he is much smarter now! You can't expect to take one and have your unit survive- they do damage. However, you will be alive. I agree- no need to race. Just take your time, enjoy the scenery and watch your gauges. I have lost a couple transmissions in the past by simply wanting to get there in a hurry. Nonsense really...

wdk450

I would think that the turbocharger in your diesel engine should negate any altitude factors with the compressed air pressure to the engine intake it produces.

SNOKING

Thanks to all for the feedback. I appreciate the shared experience.

Tanw

Make sure you completely understand the exhaust brake operation. Rattle down the hills on it even if you have to manually select a lower gear, to the point that you are not using your service brakes. Then if something happens on the road ahead of you, you will have nice cool service brakes just waiting in the wings! Chris

brianlajoie

I came up US 550 from Santa Fe through Durango two years ago. If you plan on only going over Coal Bank Pass and Molas Pass to get to Silverton, you should have no problem. My truck showed a little heating (about 240 degrees). Pulled over at the top to cool down and allow cars to pass before heading down to Silverton. The road was in good condition and no shear cliffs to look over. Red Mountain Pass is very different. It is just as narrow as the other passes, but there are times you are driving next to shear cliffs, no guard rail and hair pin turns. I made sure I was always mindful of the road and took my time. Watch out for trucks coming up the other side. Beautiful place and drive. Trees start changing about a week after Labor Day.

TanW

Brianlajoie,

I appreciate the feed back. US 550 to Durango to Silverton is the route I was planning to take. I will definitely monitor my trucks performance variables.

Thanks
TanW

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Here is a shot from atop Molas Pass . . . pulled our old Coachman over it six years ago!

MolasPassSummit-IMGP1429.jpg

We'll be heading down that way again next year as the Colorado Heartland Owner's Club will be having a Rally over at Mesa Verde!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
IMG_5582.jpgIMG_1583_1.jpg IMG_1570_1.jpgIMG_5581.jpg
Pictures from a few different trips over 550 from Durango to Silverton. We love that area! (But have not towed that route.)

SNOKING

Darlene says that the T-shirts at Pikes Peak that say 'real women do not need guard rails" lie! Chris

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Several responses here talk about "engine" braking and "exhaust" braking. Are you using them interchangable? I know about tow/haul and engine braking. Use it all the time. But I'm not aware of my F-350 having and exhaust brake. Or is that an add-on I need to consider?

SNOKING

Several responses here talk about "engine" braking and "exhaust" braking. Are you using them interchangable? I know about tow/haul and engine braking. Use it all the time. But I'm not aware of my F-350 having and exhaust brake. Or is that an add-on I need to consider?

Your 2014 F350 is equipped OEM with an exhaust brake function via the VGT turbo's. Read your manual on its use. Or Ford owners will be along to help out with it's function and use. Chris

klindgren

Your 2014 F350 is equipped OEM with an exhaust brake function via the VGT turbo's. Read your manual on its use. Or Ford owners will be along to help out with it's function and use. Chris
Thanks Chris. I'll go dig out the owners manual. So are you saying this exhaust brake function is different than the engine braking, downshifting I get in the tow/haul mode?

SNOKING

Thanks Chris. I'll go dig out the owners manual. So are you saying this exhaust brake function is different than the engine braking, downshifting I get in the tow/haul mode?

The use of tow/haul and the down shifting gets the engine into the higher RPM to make the exhaust brake more effective and keeps the torque converter locked. The higher the RPM the more HP of braking is created. Inversely the exhaust brake function does very little at low RPMs.

"Tow/Haul Mode With Integrated Exhaust Brake(10)
– Automatically increases engine exhaust back pressure when needed to help slow the vehicle and trailer while in Tow/Haul Mode
– A single touch of the brake pedal in Tow/Haul Mode activates the system to improve control with less wear and tear on the transmission."

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/14_superdutypu_sep11.pdf

If you start down a hill and then touch the brake pedal, you should hear a different tone for the engine as the exhaust brake is engaged.

It appears that a separate switch for the exhaust brake was not added until 2015 models.

Chris

klindgren

Thanks Chris. That means I'm already using the exhaust brake because I usually tap the brake at the beginning of the decent. I just didn't realize that was what I was doing. Really appreciate your explaination. Ain't this forum GREAT!!

TedS

As I tow through the mountains I will be in tow/haul mode and deselect 6th and 5th gears leaving 4th as the highest gear for the transmission to shift up to. It gives you more throttle control of speed. Most of the mountain driving will be in 3rd and 4th. 5th and 6th have the chance of gaining too much speed as you start downhill.