Cyclone Rear Ramp Door springs

Roc

Picked up a used cyclone and I have a question about the operation of the ramp door. All the springs on my unit are broken, so they are of no help lowering/raising the door. I purchased some new springs and upon looking at the original configuration, it appears to me that the manufacturer put the springs on the wrong side of the hinge, which is why they all broke!!! The original springs are mounted so that when the door is lowered, the springs are winding tighter (coiling in). Seems the proper configuration would be to have the springs on the other side of the hinge so that when the door is lowered, the springs would coiling out, thereby, given the needed resistance to lighten the load. Am I missing something here?

Last edited:

SNOKING

Re: Cyclone Rear Ramp Door Springs Broken

Picked up a used cyclone and I have a question about the operation of the ramp door. All the springs on my unit are broken, so they are of no help lowering/raising the door. I purchased some new springs and upon looking at the original configuration, it appears to me that the manufacturer put the springs on the wrong side of the hinge, which is why they all broke!!! The original springs are mounted so that when the door is lowered, the springs are winding tighter (coiling in). Seems the proper configuration would be to have the springs on the other side of the hinge so that when the door is lowered, the springs would coiling out, thereby, given the needed resistance to lighten the load. Am I missing something here?

Garage door work the way your springs were install. I do not think a spring is intended to be used "your" way. Chris

Lou_and_Bette

Re: Cyclone Rear Ramp oor springs

Springs in the same configuration when we had our Road Warrior, keep door from free falling and assist with closing. Not sure why all are broken but would suspect abuse by previous owner.

Dennyha

This is how the springs are installed on my Cyclone door, and they work fine.
image.jpg

Dennyha

And it makes sense if you think about it. It will take the most force to close the door when it is horizontal, and the least amount of force to close it when it is close to vertical. The spring will "help" more as you lower the door, and less the closer you get the door to vertical.

SNOKING

Last time I had the garage door guy here, he oiled the new spring on one side and the old one on the other side. He said that the springs should have light oil applied once in a while. Maybe these springs need a light oil also! Chris

porthole

Retired

Last time I had the garage door guy here, he oiled the new spring on one side and the old one on the other side. He said that the springs should have light oil applied once in a while. Maybe these springs need a light oil also! Chris

First I've heard of anything like that.

Won't be oiling mine though.

Lou_and_Bette

First I've heard of anything like that.

Won't be oiling mine though.

I'm shocked Duane, I thought if it moved you were lubricating it! No ramp door springs on a new Landmark LOL
Lou

- - - Updated - - -

Two of mine are broken, and I did NOT abuse them. Let's call it crappy steel.

Sorry Oscar, didn't intend to suggest all broken springs were due to abuse, but OP did indicate it was a used unit.