Pin Weight

RB2012

Can somebody tell me why the pin weights on the landmark are 800 to 1000 lbs heavier than other comparable 5vrs, example rushmore,cedar creek,redwood,lifestyle to name a few.

danemayer

Hi Richard,

If you're comparing specifications on websites or brochures, you first need to compare the GVWR to see if you're apples to apples on the basic trailer offering.

Then consider that the published pin weight and the actual weight can be quite different. Each manufacturer may use different assumptions and methodologies in their specs. For example, one may base their spec on a prototype without any options, including any forced options. Another may base their spec on production models.

So it may be difficult to get an apples to apples comparison.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The best way to figure real world pin weight is to use 20%-25% of the GVWR of the fiver. No matter the brand.

Edit: by real world, I mean loaded pin weight. Dry weight means nothing, you'll never tow it empty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jim.Allison

Interestingly enough, my BC3650RL with generator, solar inverter and 2 T1275 batts and all the hardware to rig those components, Put my pin at 23% (measured) in my case you are dead on.

The best way to figure real world pin weight is to use 20%-25% of the GVWR of the fiver. No matter the brand.

SNOKING

If you figure the percent of dry pin weight to dry trailer weight and extend that to GVWR you will be close on the low side.

Example for our BH3575el

Dry pin 2435 divided by dry weight 12,950 equals 18.8 percent.

GVWR is 16,000 times 18.8 percent 3008 pounds of pin weight at least a full load.

W/D up front, generator, extra batteries all skew this number to a higher percent age. 20 percent puts pin weight at 3200.

I chose this make/model partly based on a lower pin weight for its size.

Chris

asherwin

Interestingly enough, my BC3650RL with generator, solar inverter and 2 T1275 batts and all the hardware to rig those components, Put my pin at 23% (measured) in my case you are dead on.

My BC3650RL similarly equipped came in at 26%. I blame the wife's clothes in the front closet :)

RB2012

Well i guess by these responses you cant assume anything concerning wghts you are on your own seems the rv industry can get away with it

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Well i guess by these responses you cant assume anything concerning wghts you are on your own seems the rv industry can get away with it

There are alot of variables in pin weight. Ours is 3800 on our current Landmark and was 4350 on our previous one. Not even close to the listed one. We had a 40 foot Alfa Gold that weighed 16200 and has a pin weight of 2800 but it had 3 axles.

danemayer

It's not about getting away with something. When dealers place orders, there's a lot of variation in how the rigs are delivered. And manufacturers may make configuration decisions that allow for multiple marketing channels; each with weight differences. So there's a prototype that goes into production and a decision has to be made about what the specification will be. The actual weight going out the door will be different. And then the owner loads it up with a few thousand pounds of gear and the weight changes again. So no matter what number the manufacturer chooses for the specification, your actual weight will differ.

If you want the actual weight, you have to put the rig on a scale. Until then all you can do is get an approximation.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
By "getting away with it", are you saying that a company is making their product appear "more favorable" then others? That's called marketing and advertising. Just like a truck pulling a space shuttle.