Have you insulated this space

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Heat dump...hot in summer, heat loss in winter
edb85852fb76295a79f27e7b65324e84.jpg

Replacing ceiling fan again. Fiberglass Insulation added first time, will go back in this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westwind

Wow!!! That is an eye opener you never think about that until you have to take everything apart like you did to fix something. What brand of fan did you replace the previous with?? The switch is broken on ours and I have to replace the switch, so I might get ambitious and take the whole thing down and do what you did.

travelin2

I installed a Hunter from Lowes with some modifications to achieve enough height to clear the slides. They didn't have anything quite as small in diameter. Fan blades have to be oriented just so when closing the dinette slide

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
WOW and thanks for sharing. I would have thought there was some kind of insulation but .....

olcoon

When we were looking at our rig thinking about buying it, Heartland's rep was there & he was bragging about having welded aluminum studs, etc. in the outside walls. I jokingly asked him if they got their welders from the local VoTech, I think it insulted him. Kind of looks like the VoTech is sending the kids over there to learn how to weld!!!:rolleyes:

SNOKING

When we were looking at our rig thinking about buying it, Heartland's rep was there & he was bragging about having welded aluminum studs, etc. in the outside walls. I jokingly asked him if they got their welders from the local VoTech, I think it insulted him. Kind of looks like the VoTech is sending the kids over there to learn how to weld!!!:rolleyes:

I kid with a few hours of VoTech training should be able to weld better than that. I took a few quarters of welding at a junior college about 32 years ago so that I could build glass doors/metal frame for an arched fireplace in a new home we purchased. Instructor would have failed that person. The bigger question is what happen to a OC inspection that should have caught that and had it corrected?

Chris

Bones

I was thinking the same thing that everyone is commenting but it would sure be nice to figure out if I have one of those spaces hiding out in my ceiling to install a fan. Even if you add some hard foam boards that should make an improvement. Good job Lyle

travelin2

I'm not defending the work or the welds but the two pieces running the length of the coach are just stringers to make the square. I see no need for a full length weld as this isn't a structural stress joint.
As to the wood's quality, yep light weight scrap material but the same exists in your S&B behind the walls for the same applications.
In addition I'll add this post is going sideways as many on here do...

Bones

I'm not defending the work or the welds but the two pieces running the length of the coach are just stringers to make the square. I see no need for a full length weld as this isn't a structural stress joint.
As to the wood's quality, yep light weight scrap material but the same exists in your S&B behind the walls for the same applications.

I think that happens a lot with the post. You can always reinforce the joins and you are correct in that the stringers are not necessary

danemayer

You all do realize that your windows probably provide 50 times as much surface area for heat transfer. And they're right in the line of fire for direct afternoon sun. And since hot air rises, a little heat over that fan space is probably a very minor concern.

I think you're hunting for mice in the backyard while the elephants are crashing through the front yard.

If there's a concern about heat transfer around the fan, I'd be more concerned about it during the winter.

Bones

You all do realize that your windows probably provide 50 times as much surface area for heat transfer. And they're right in the line of fire for direct afternoon sun. And since hot air rises, a little heat over that fan space is probably a very minor concern.

I think you're hunting for mice in the backyard while the elephants are crashing through the front yard.

If there's a concern about heat transfer around the fan, I'd be more concerned about it during the winter.
Your right. :) They were hot in DC this past weekend.

travelin2

Not hunting anything just pointing out a void that is an intrusion in the "5" of laminated foam" HL so proudly promotes.

wonder63

Yes I had found this also in my Big Horn. I used blue Styrofoam glued it into the space. Made a big difference in cooling this is just a big heat sink if not repaired. Actually it's a shame they don't care about workmanship and disregard for the customer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

SNOKING

It is not the length of the welds , it is the fact that there is no penetration on one side of the beads. Members are NOT really welded together. Chris