Slide out fascia rebuild

GWRam

Looking for guidance from any who have had to rebuild the fascia sub-structure on their slide out.
Pulled into the east Yellowstone park entrance pulled over for lunch ran out the slides and the bunkhouse rear cabinet door knobs caught the rear fascia structure of the door side slide out.

To get everything back together and closed up for the ride through the park to the campground I just tapped the fascia back into place. It's hanging there as limp as a broken branch but it did get us to the campground.

Before I rip it all apart to fix the structure behind the fascia board, the actual trim pieces just came loose, wood not damaged.
When I tapped it back into place I can tell the structure behind the trim that the rubber wrap and seal are attached to is at least ripped loose or damaged.

Anyone know what's behind the fascia and rubber wrap on a slide out? Any idea of the slide out structure? Thanks for your ideas.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You should be able to put it back together with a brad nailer. Probably need to use 2" brads. Put mine together several times after an oooops.

GWRam

Ok,
I'll give it a go. Next town that sells tools I'll get a nailer.
Thanks

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I worry about that all the time with our trailer. When you close the two slides up in the bunk room, you cannot see the back cabinets to check for any doors that might have come open. I ended up taking rope and tie the opposing door handles together. This has worked so far. We also have to check the second bathroom door to make sure it has not come open before we open up the slides.

Hotrodbud

I just had that stuff apart on my Bighorn. What you really need is a screw gun and some #6, 3 inch screws. You can probably take the trim off, remove some of the screws, straighten them, and reinstall them. If you are lucky you wont have to mess with the rubber seal. Its a 1 inch thick plywood strip 6 inches wide, screwed to the aluminum frame. I cant see doing it without a screw gun. Then nail the trim back on. Good luck.

GOTTOYS

I've had to glue one of mine back together. Gorilla glue worked great. I then touched up some of the damage with a colored putty. Not very noticeable now.

GWRam

Thank you for all the replies. Our next stop will be for 3 nights, I wi2ll tear into it then.
We have and were using Velcro wrapped around the two door knobs. The weight of the text books was enough to pop the cabinet doors opens. We also Velcro the 1/2 bath interior door to the towel rack to keep the door from getting sucked open when slides go out.
Tomorrow I'll dig into it.
Thanks

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Caution...never put heavy things in an upper cabinet. That's disaster waiting to happen...same with the glass plate in the M/W. Don't ask.