Where are you buying your Sailuns

Garypowell

Basic question, where are you buying your Sailun's and are you happy with supplier. Seems like no complains on Sailun's.

Only going to buy 1 to replace the spare. I have been running GY G614's for 3 years now and while still in great shape only bought 4 of them and have had the original spare.

In Elkhart right now, in fact picking up the unit from HL repair shop yet today fixing frame. Sticking around next week to have IS and Disc Brakes put on by Morryde with 3 month trip out west ahead of us.

So thought it might be a good time to replace the spare.....then in a year or two buy 3 more sailun's and pull the spare out and use one of the G614's as the spare.

But it seems the only way to get the Sailun's here is via shipment.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

SNOKING

To match the size of the G614's you will want the ST235/80R16G Sailun S637, the ST235/85R16G Sailun S637 is one inch larger in diameter. Chris

Garypowell

That is an interesting point Snoking. As I shopped I did find simple tire has the best price about $121. But have not pulled the trigger yet.

I saw the size difference but only putting it on the spare to get rid of the blow max that is under the rig. I figured since it was only for emergency use it would be OK to use to drive to the store to replace the 614.....they have warranty.

is my thinking faulty?

the plan as outlined originally was to replace the 614's with 3 new Sailun's and pull the spare Sailune out for use when 614 tires needed replacing and put one of the 614's under as a spare......same size difference but in different direction.

Is is this OK to do or am I asking for troubles?

thanks,

Last edited:

SNOKING

That is an interesting point Snoking. As I shopped I did find simple tire has the best price about $121. But have not pulled the trigger yet.

I saw the size difference but only putting it on the spare to get rid of the blow max that is under the rig. I figured since it was only for emergency use it would be OK to use to drive to the store to replace the 614.....they have warranty.

is my thinking faulty?

the plan as outlined originally was to replace the 614's with 3 new Sailun's and pull the spare Sailune out for use when 614 tires needed replacing and put one of the 614's under as a spare......same size difference but in different direction.

Is is this OK to do or am I asking for troubles?

thanks,

What is the issue with getting the ST235/80R16G the matches the diameter? Most of the time they have to order them in for a warehouse. Sailun was pretty smart coming out with a tire that matched the diameter of the standare ST235/80R16E's and the G614's, why would you not want that size?

Chris

Garypowell

I scratched this all out on a piece of paper that is not with me....and away from RV tonight. So I cannot recreate my thinking. And the numbers tend to jumble this time of night.

But it obviously I need to rethink this......back in touch soon.

Garypowell

Not back at the Rig yet (picking it up this afternoon from Morryde who is installing IS and disc brakes) but have all my paperwork and I think I figured this out. Really appreciate Snoking for pointing out a problem in my thinking.....that's what this place is all about.

First I'll state there are a lot of things I don't know much about like plumbing and tires. All the tire numbers just don't stick with me nor do I fully understand them. So the story goes like this.

Back in early 2013 I knew I had to upgrade to GR614's. Had 2 blow out on two previous rigs and from this forum learned why. Just using the middle number it seemed that the GR614's only came in the "85" size. I did my homework and determined that this 85 size would fit even though slightly larger than the 80's that came standard in my OEM blowmax.

So installed 4 of the LT235/85R16's. But I left the Blowmax spare underneath for cost considerations. Plus with our rig used in our sales business we only ran around the 10 south east state we covered.....lots of help around.

But we are going out to WY, UT and then back through Colorado starting in July. So I thought it might be time to replace the Blowmax underneath due to the long trip and wide open spaces. But with the cost of the Goodyears and the great reports on the Sailuns I thought why not put a Sailun underneath and when it was time to replace the GR614's bring it out and only buy three more. then put a GR614 underneath as a spare.

OK....great plan.

But I thought, well.....I have 85's on there now I better replace them with 85's. I had seen that the Sailun 85's were larger but the problem did not hit me until Snoking made his comment.

Looked at the numbers this morning and the 80 Sailun is roughly the same size as my GR614's (as he pointed out) and they still have a higher weight rating then the GR614's....and the same rating as the Sailun 85's.

So, once again, the forum comes to my rescue and specifically thanks again to Snoking!