Truck for 32 RLTS -

Dreamer7

Hello,

I posted a similar question in another area and had great responses. However, some friends and family keep telling me they doubt I should/can to pull this large of a camper, for a number of reasons, including cost, and I have my own doubts. I'm off for the Summer and need to make decisions or the opportunity will pass. I'm hoping owners w similar sized or exact campers please respond. Hopefully I will hear arguments for and against deisels.

Most important question, what do you use to pull camper (I'd like 4 doors and considering Deisel, always hear great things about them) so what are the best trucks (I won't be buying new).

Thanks for your help.

katy

Gtoli

I personally prefer diesel. Better mileage, more durable over the long haul. At less than 9,00 lbs. you could go with a 3/4 ton gas or diesel. I bought the truck in my signature with the possibility of upgrading from a travel trailer to our current 5th wheel toy hauler.

rhodies1

Hello,

I posted a similar question in another area and had great responses. However, some friends and family keep telling me they doubt I should/can to pull this large of a camper, for a number of reasons, including cost, and I have my own doubts. I'm off for the Summer and need to make decisions or the opportunity will pass. I'm hoping owners w similar sized or exact campers please respond. Hopefully I will hear arguments for and against deisels.

Most important question, what do you use to pull camper (I'd like 4 doors and considering Deisel, always hear great things about them) so what are the best trucks (I won't be buying new).

Thanks for your help.

katy

Go with the diesel ,you won't be disappointed,yes a little more cost to purchase but out last gas and have the torque for towing,don't buy to small a truck and regret your choice,chances are in the future you will look at upgrading your camping unit and will be half way there with the right truck.As people on the forum say,if you can find/ get a dually at the right price, reasonable and don't mind driving the larger truck than go this route and be prepared for the future.

Grey Ghost

I pull a 29' Heartland Greystone with a dry wight of 9400lbs with a F-250 Super Duty Ford gaser and have NO problems at all. Really from nose to toes its 34'. We have pulled Colorado, Utah, California and Arizona with no problems at all. I feel really safe wight he stopping power also. I have a 15k Valley slider hitch and we very seldom pull with much water at all. I had a 8.1 Chevy, yup an 8.1 taser prior to this Ford and found I like the transmission in the Ford as well if not more. Get what ever you feel safest with and you will be okay. Pulling is not as important as the stopping however!!

Dreamer7

Thank you for your response. I'm thinking Deisel is best. :). Happy Trails!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! Yeah, the stopping is my biggest concern! I just want to buy a truck and go, I have the hitch and some weight distribution chains, or whatever they are called. Silly question, how do you get the hitch to match the other part in height?

Thanks,
Katy

p.s. I like your quote at the end...funny!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, thanks a lot. That's the first I've heard mention of a dually. :)

CaptnJohn

Thank you for your response. I'm thinking Deisel is best. :). Happy Trails!

Thanks! Yeah, the stopping is my biggest concern! I just want to buy a truck and go, I have the hitch and some weight distribution chains, or whatever they are called. Silly question, how do you get the hitch to match the other part in height?

Thanks,
Katy

p.s. I like your quote at the end...funny!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, thanks a lot. That's the first I've heard mention of a dually. :)

After 1 dually I'll keep payload under the requirement. Always parking in the back 40 as no parking spaces are large enough, stays out as nothing else fits in the garage with it. 6 tires to replace. The only vehicle I could not wait to be rid of

Dreamer7

Thank you for responding. A lot to consider, and definitely appreciate your experience and opinion. Thanks again!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
A dually diesel is way more truck than you need . . . most especially since you aren't towing around the Rocky Mountains, but the flatlands of Ohio (I'm from Michigan, so am familiar with the area).

As far as I am concerned you'd be wasting a lot of money for nothing if you go that route.

An F250 or 2500HD will be plenty for your needs.

I have a Chevy 2500HD gasser and pull a 5th-wheeler around the mountains with no issues . . . however, I did make sure to get the 4.10 rear end.

Truck&CamperAtGasStationSmall.jpg

ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg

danemayer

When we started shopping RVs, we were looking at mid-sized units and I was thinking of getting a gasser 3/4 Ton (250/2500). One of my friends explained that while diesels are quite a bit more expensive up front, you get the money back at trade-in or resale, and they have a much longer life, along with other benefits. He also explained that for $1-2,000 price difference, a 1 Ton truck is a much better choice for towing. Maybe you don't need it right away, but later, when you decide to get a larger trailer, you'll be really happy you don't also have to get a bigger truck. Same with 4 wheel drive. You might not think you'll ever need it, but one day you'll find yourself on soft ground and will be very happy to have it.

He was right on all counts.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
That is one problem . . . everyone here always assumes that everyone here is going to upgrade to a bigger trailer.

Had it not been for all of the problems we had with our previous trailer . . . we would still have it for many years to come.

Do I wish that we had gone for a bigger truck . . . dually diesel?

Yes, however, having the truck that we do kept us from going way overboard to a much larger trailer that we don't really need.

Dreamer7

Thank you. I am considering both of those, I need to read up on dually vs Deisel. I would like a Deisel bc they get better gas mileage and motors can go forever, but not a dually. I want to get familiar with driving in Ohio but will then plan longer trips. I love the West so would love to go back there. But even if I visit NC (western) or head through Virginia's hills. I know a dually is big time. Hopefully there are smaller versions. I had no idea how complicated trucks can be. What is a 4.1?

Thank you very much, and nice truck!

Last edited by a moderator:

jnbhobe

If your buying a diesel standard gearing is most likely all you need 3.55 to 3.73 gearing is all you need with a SRW diesel truck if using a gasser then you would want 4.10-4.30 gears

rhodies1

It's a reference to gear ratio in the rear end, it is 4 .10 gear ratio, heavy torque less fuel mileage.Also you
can get a diesel dually but as 1 member advised ,they are wider and don't fit most garages,take more space parking,etc.I personally half a Ford F 350 SRW which has s a 1 ton single rear axle,I haul a 39 ft Bighorn with no issues, my truck has 355 gears in the rearend and at 60 mph ,I average between 12 and 13 mpg.

Dreamer7

Ok, thank you very much! :).

Good answer. I actually miss my Passport a little bc it was so lightweight!

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptnJohn

Ford Diesel with a 3.31 is all needed. My F350 has the 3.55 (a $390 option) and the only difference is slightly lower MPG

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I have never owned a gas pickup. I like the diesel for its power and longevity. I do not like it for its expense to repair. I would ask yourself a few questions to help with your decision. The first being how much towing do you actually plan to do and where. If you plan on traveling a lot and pulling mountains a lot get a diesel, if not you can probably get away with a gasser. Mountain decents and diesel engine braking are a wonderful combo. IMO a dually is a comfort thing unless you have some major weight and it requires you to have one. I have never ever heard anyone in our years of camping that tow regularly ever say that they wished they had a pick up with a gas engine. Not once.

Hansel

IMHO, go with a diesel and don't look back. Now, get at least a F-350, Chevy 3500 or a Dodge 3500 you never know what future plan's you might have for a upgraded camper. My truck being a older F-250 and my new Prowler 5th wheel I have a weight issue now, that I have another thread started on, so since you don't have a truck yet, spend the extra money and get one larger than you need, it's the smart purchase IMHO