Blown out window

colorocky

Has anyone else experienced this? This was our third outing in our new rig. Travelling from one campground to another, stopped on the way for groceries and supplies. We discovered the slide window in our 26RKS had broken. Fortunately, if one can call it that, it was the sliding portion so the screen kept all but the almost miscroscopic pieces of glass from falling into the rig. We have no idea what happened, but the window had been difficult to slide open.

Our dealer is not encouraging about a warranty repair, so we will pursue with our insurance companies. How to repair? We lost the part of the decal on the glass and made temporary repairs with clear plastic and duct tape - not very attractive but it works. Dealer indicated entire window unit would need to be taken out and replaced, with at least 4 week wait for replacement, and would not order until it was determined who would pay for the window. With our very short Colorado camping season, we'll continue on with our temporary repair and keep an eye on it for leaks.

We've had 5 RVs, but this is a first, and we weren't traveling gravel roads!

Forrest Fetherolf

I suggest you not waste time with the dealer, total window replacement may not be necessary. The sliding portion of most windows is removable from the frame and the glass can be replaced in the sliding frame by a glass shop. If you can remove the sliding window from the window frame, take it to a glass shop for advice and hopefully repair.

Forrest

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
I think Forrest gave excellent advice. I would add, I would still contact Heartland myself to see if there was anything they could do to help, they are a really fantastic company,,, Lizzy

colorocky

Thanks for the advice

Thanks for all your good advice.

We hesitate to make any repairs while under warranty for fear this might void the warranty? Will wait a reasonable time to hear from Heartland before we do anything, perhaps get a clarification from them if we have repair done by a local glass shop regarding warranty. Our Heartland dealer is over 2 hours away. We had a golf ball come through a small window on a motor home that we had repaired with Lexan - strong stuff, but it probably wouldn't match the light tint in the rest of the window.

Thanks again, all.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
I have some news that might be bad news for you. We had the seal between the dual panes go out on the sliding part of one of our tall narrow windows. They had to replace the whole window and reapply the decal. We had our dealer do it and Heartland covered it, actually the window maker covered it, but they did replace the whole window and it did take about three weeks to get the window in stock.

Maybe there is another way to do it for you. I don't know what a window would cost, but the labor could really add to it along with the decal.

Kristy

colorocky

Finally got the window repaired and you were right, Forrest. No warranty repair, but was able to remove broken slider and have replacement plexiglass installed. Cost was $50, versus over $300 and several weeks for full window replacement. With the screen in place, the slight tint difference is not noticeable.

Thanks, again, all for your help.