Front end vibration

Dylan

Pulling a 3670RL, with a 2010 F350, Diesel. At slow speeds taking turns, I'm getting an awful shutter, vibration, in the front end, felt in the steering wheel, definitely front end related. Brand new tires, new brakes all around. It's much more drastic when towing, but still a little noticeable when not in tow. Anyone have similar issues??.....bringing the truck in on wed, to be looked at, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

jimtoo

Is the truck a 4 wheel drive? If so you might check the u-joints at the front wheels. Or there is the possibility of a front wheel bearing. Did this start right after the new brakes and tires?

Dylan

It is a 4x4. The problem was there before new brakes and new tires. My gut tells me it's bearings of some kind, something to do with steering....but I don't know all that much when it comes to trucks.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Besides a U joint issue, its possible you have a pitman arm or idler arm issue/loosness. I would have all the front suspension inspected for any worn/loose parts. One thing you should know....a 5er when hooked up transfers weight to the front axle. That will aggravate any issues you had before. How is the front end alignment?? Too much tow-in/out will cause this as the tires are scuffing in a turn. JMHO

mlburst1

My guess would be the steering damper - common Ford repair - had the same symptoms last winter - $142 later it was fixed - OE part #BC3Z3E651R.

rhodies1

Pulling a 3670RL, with a 2010 F350, Diesel. At slow speeds taking turns, I'm getting an awful shutter, vibration, in the front end, felt in the steering wheel, definitely front end related. Brand new tires, new brakes all around. It's much more drastic when towing, but still a little noticeable when not in tow. Anyone have similar issues??.....bringing the truck in on wed, to be looked at, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

It could be a front wheel bearing,Ford has a problem with these,I have a 2012 and have had 1 replaced,not a cheap part,could be a grand time yor finished with part and labour. Also could be a front u joint causing the vibration in the steering wheel,it would be worse when towing due to the torque of hauling,this is a cheaper fix.hopefully the u joint is your issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by a moderator:

Dylan

alignment was just checked, since I had new tires put on the truck. On the highway, everything is very smooth. It only happens at very slow speeds, when turning. I don't think the so-called Death Wobble applies. Either way, I'm sure you're correct when you say that the weight transfers to the front, which is why is so much more evident when in tow. Appreciate the reply, and hook or crook, I'm getting this fixed. The extended warranty we purchased has come in handy, unfortunately. This is not the only issue we've had with the truck.

danemayer

I had similar symptoms on our 2011 GMC. Just before taking it in for service, I discovered that I had bumped the 4WD shift knob into High 4WD.

Dylan

My guess would be the steering damper - common Ford repair - had the same symptoms last winter - $142 later it was fixed - OE part #BC3Z3E651R.

Appreciate the reply. Did your symptoms only happen at slow speeds, when turning? Especially when towing?....

Mattman

I had a service guy tell me to drive it backwards with the wheel cranked over. Vibrations and noisies showed up more in reverse caused by U joints he told me. True or not I don't know. Tried it a few times and never had it happen. But as far as I know don't have a bad U joint either on my vehicles.

RGVan

I am having a similar problem I have a 2011 F350 Super duty and I am getting the vibration Had the front end check and found nothing wrong suggested I replaced the steering stabilizer but not with the OEM parts because I am pulling a 2017 Landmark 365 and it is heavy Any recommendations as to what would be a stronger than Original stabilizer? Thanks

Dylan

Ford Dealership inspected my truck, and couldn't find anything. Someone's going to drive it since I don't need it for a little while, but it's unlikely they'll get it to do anything, without the trailer hooked up. I know our Bighorn has some weight to it, better part of 15 to 16k pounds, but the truck did not have this issue for the first couple years we were pulling it. The vehicle has a tow capacity of 15,800 pounds. Frustrating....

IronJ

I am having a similar problem I have a 2011 F350 Super duty and I am getting the vibration Had the front end check and found nothing wrong suggested I replaced the steering stabilizer but not with the OEM parts because I am pulling a 2017 Landmark 365 and it is heavy Any recommendations as to what would be a stronger than Original stabilizer? Thanks
That front steering stabilizer is way too small from the get go imho.....towing or not...

I have a bds dual fox2.0 setup now on mine...even with the Huge heavy tires it rides great..

Several companies make them...not real expensive to just replace the shock with a better one either...

But I've never had the issue with any of my trucks....

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish