Truck and hitch questions

WmrWhite

The bride and I are very close to starting our newest life adventure, full time RVing! We have pretty much decided on a Landmark 365 but the model is still up in the air. We will be towing with a 2016 F350 DRW. Is the standard F350 with the 3.73 rear end enough truck for the Landmark or is the 4.30 rear end the way to go? Also, does anyone towing a Landmark 365 use the Andersen Ultimate Hitch? I like the idea of the easy removal of the Andersen and their rated capacity fits. I would just like to know of anyone with firsthand experience using the Andersen with a 5th wheel with a pin weight of 3500+ lbs.
Thanks for any and all feedback!

jimtoo

Hi WmrWhite,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I would definitely stay with the F350 and also make it a dually. Some of our other members that drive and tow the same thing will jump in soon with their opinions for you and also about the hitch.

Enjoy the forum and hope to see you on the road in a Landmark.

Jim M

Also moving thread to better area for you.

Aandaar

I use the Andersen on a BH3970RD. About as close to a Landmark as you get without actually buying one.

I love the hitch and don't regret the change over one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck, Victoria, and Miss Callie

DavidCraker

Your 2016 F-350 DRW/3.73 gearing will tow the trailer just fine. I have the 2015 version of your truck and we pull our Landmark 365 with no issues.

Last edited:

IronJ

I use the B&W companion for the factory pucks....comes apart in 2 pieces so it's pretty easy/lite to easily remove whole setup...

The Anderson does look cool and lite as well...

As for the truck, the 3.73 will tow pretty much anything ...the 4.30 is real nice if you hit a lot of grades.....if it's NOT driver and only used to tow, I would opt for the 4.30 personally...rpm should not be a big deal as most of us tow @65 mph or less...love my 350 tho!!

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

WmrWhite

Thanks for all the input! I have to make the truck decision soon and since it will be my back and forth to work driver for a few more months I will probably get the 3.73 gearing unless I find a sweet deal on a 4.30 geared truck. I like the Companion hitch that IronJ is using and I see there is one that fits the Ford factory pucks! We looked at the the Landmark Madison over the weekend and we're 99.9% sure that's the one for us!

SNOKING

2016 F350 4x4 CC with 3.73 is rated to 23.5K trailer. Or 5500 pounds more than the GVWR of the LM Madison.Chris

IronJ

Thanks for all the input! I have to make the truck decision soon and since it will be my back and forth to work driver for a few more months I will probably get the 3.73 gearing unless I find a sweet deal on a 4.30 geared truck. I like the Companion hitch that IronJ is using and I see there is one that fits the Ford factory pucks! We looked at the the Landmark Madison over the weekend and we're 99.9% sure that's the one for us!
I've used the curt, reese,superglide, and B&W....superglide is hands down best slider made....period!

But it's not needed in a long box ford. All the other brands were fine and performed ok, but the b &w just feels better made, is simple, and solid!..

I will say I had to adjust the handles 2x to get the play out of the cams...but it's simple and quick. Haven't had to mess with em since. Plus it fits under my back flip bed cover, so I can leave it in the truck and it's always covered which is awesome while on the road, as I still have the entire bed to use as a lockable "trunk" for all the junk my wife inevitably buys..lol....the puck system is actually much lighter and easier to install/remove as there are no bolts to torque like on the turnover and all the Handles are right there in the bed I can literally have it out of the truck in 90 seconds flat and not even spill my beer...

As for the truck, as you can tell I like to tow with ford...specifically the 6.7...

I've owned the others and they were fine I just like the "ford" platinum package better (not that I didn't change it even more to my liking)...lol

Good luck and happy camping!! We will need pics!!!

Jeremy

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
When I bought my new truck just under two years ago (Aug. 2014), we still had our 2013 Heartland Trail Runner bumper-pull and we didn't have the need for not only a diesel, but a dually, and chose the 2015 Chevy 2500HD as it was way more truck than we needed.

Since this was to be my daily driver (truck now has over 40,000 miles on it in less than two years), I chose the gas model with the 4.10 rear end as we pull in the Rocky Mountains frequently.

Due to some issues with our Trail Runner, we decided to change out RV's and chose our current 2015 Heartland Prowler to replace the Trail Runner.

Had I known that we would be buying a 5th-wheeler when we did I would have gone with a diesel dually . . .

But when we decided to trade the Trail Runner in, we opted to go with a trailer that fit the weight ratings of the truck we already had versus having to replace not only the trailer, but the truck as well.

EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg

NewTruckTrailerLevel-IMG_20140918_130913251.jpg

Rifle2014-IMG_20140920_173417783.jpg

Truck&CamperAtGasStationSmall.jpg

ProwlerAtArbys2015-P1000174.jpg

ProwleratBlueMesa-P1010116.jpg

ProwlerInSantaFe-IMAG0216.jpg

ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg

I have a Reese 16K Pro slider hitch . . .