Basement "Hatch" Modification for Plumbing/Utility Access

Carleen

After purchasing our 2011 BH last week, I was tasked with accessing behind the walls of the basement to track down a water leak. It turned out to be the vacuum breaker valve for the black tank flush. Once that was fixed via the port hole in the shower, it didn't make sense to just re-screw the walls back in place where they were before (I am positive this won't be the last time I am digging around in the mess of pipes, cables, ducting and electrical chaos that is at the heart of functionality- and failure for these rigs). I didn't think it was a sturdy design to begin with. The walls were set at an odd 30 deg angle and weren't easy to re-attach. The screws had stripped out in a few places and it just looked sloppy. Needless to say- it was driving me nuts.

I went to Home Depot and purchased two simple 12" hinge sets. I attached the hinges at the junction of the angled wall and straight wall to allow for pivoting of the angled wall for access behind the UDC and other utilities. Then I used two hook door latches to secure the hatch shut. Because of the angle attaching the hatch to the UDC, it was best to use this style latch.

Now, I have easy access to the mess back there. Even just to check if everything is dry. If need be, I can open it up and crawl to the mess for repair. Simple as that!

(See pictures below)

Carleen

22b13c3ad64124562990925b39bffa37.jpg

fc41c53e9acb1f83d4283eeac0ee519f.jpg

529e4841e10d170885a71037a2a8153a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carleen

Thanks!! I wonder why the factory doesn't do this already- it would be appropriate given how many connections are accessible through there including the water shut-off for the ice maker in the refrigerator. Has anyone else modified this area?

danemayer

Lots of us have modified the panel in various ways. I have a piano hinge on the bottom edge. Others have cut and framed windows they can reach through, others have set it up so the panel can be lifted up and out.

avvidclif

Thanks!! I wonder why the factory doesn't do this already- it would be appropriate given how many connections are accessible through there including the water shut-off for the ice maker in the refrigerator. Has anyone else modified this area?

That's easy. They didn't want you opening the door during PDI

Carleen

Sliding doors would have been great so both sides can open! Ours has that goofy angle so I don't know if that would work :(

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Sliding doors would have been great so both sides can open! Ours has that goofy angle so I don't know if that would work :(

Yes, it worked well because we didn't have the angle. Our new Big Country has the angle, we haven't created an access solution yet. I like your idea.

Geodude

A good, straightforward approach. I find myself having to into that space on a somewhat regular basis as well, so I may just do the same mod.

Garypowell

I don't have any pictures but right after getting our Bighorn 3010 I took most of the pressboard down moved the vacuum back and then put up a simple 2 by 2 frame and attached white coroplast with Velcro.

When I need access I just pull the sheet off and toss it out on the ground.

Gained about a foot of extra basement room most way across the basement.