Possible Converter Problem

larryab

I own a 2006 Bighorn 3200RL and would like to ask about my converter which is not converting. When hooked up to shore power the 110 components run just fine, yet those items that run on the battery still operate on battery when hooked to shore power. This obviously runs the battery down while camping. I installed the battery while preparing the camper for or first camping trip of the season and noticed the cabin lights getting dim then check the battery indicator to see it losing its charge. I tried recyling the circuit breaker for the converter, and then the main breaker switch yet nothing. I also replaced all fuses. Is there a reset on the converter, and where is the converter located on this model. I believe it migh be behind the circuit breaker and fuse box yet don't know how to access it.

Any ideas on this problem and suggestions on how to remedy?

Thanks,

LarryAB

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Sorry I can't help you with the converter problem, but I'm sure some of the guys will be able to do that tomorrow. I just want to welcome you to the forum. I think you'll find that no matter where you are or what time of day you are here, someone will be able to help you find the info you need within a short period of time.
Kristy

Shadowchek

possibly a bad battery or bad connections. I know the 12v stuff won't run without the battery and if it was shorted or had a bad connection the 12v stuff wouldn't work right. Just a thought.

flyfishing48

Been there done that.

Been there done that. You can go to the thread below to follow my issue.
You symptoms are the same as what I had. If you have a VOM and are hooked to shore power the battery voltage should be above 12.5Volts

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?p=39075#post39075

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Not sure if the Bighorn is like this but my 2006 Fleetwood Wilderness has 4 fuses on the converter. A power surge can blow them......

In fact it is in the shop right now for the same problem.... Unfortunatly it was my converter:( .... Good news it was covered under warranty as it was a leftover new 2006 model I bought last year:D

Mechanic at the dealer showed me where they are located when I dropped it off for some warrenty work and to have the antifreeze flushed from the system.

larryab

Possible Converter Problem (2)

I have eliminated the possible bad battery by installing a new one. The fuses on the main panel have been replaced and the circuit breakers checked. Before hauling it to the dealer which is some distance away I would like to locate and access the converter to check for possible fuses on it and what shape they are in. I know the area that it should be in, it's a matter of best access. Again I have a 2006 3200RL Bighorn.

Thanks,

LarryAB

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Converter Location

LarryAB,

On the 2006 Big Horns the converter is on the doorside between the entry door and the cargo door. It can be accessed by removing 4 to 6 screws on the bulkhead panel in cargo bay. The converter will be on the floor, along with other wires, pipes, etc.

Last edited:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I had a converter problem with my previous 5er. The converter went out on me and I had it replaced. About 6 months later the same thing happened so replaced the converter. All this was done under warranty. A few months later I was checking the battery and it was low, so I took it out and put it on a bench charger. I thought it was the converter again and was very upset. Later on I checked the charger and it was still charging the battery. The next day I checked the charger and it was still charging the battery. I disconnected it and checked the voltage and it was about 10.8 volts. Took it to auto parts store and had it checked. Bad cell. It was an Interstate battery. I went to Sams and bought their battery that is a deep charge and like a jell cell. Has a blue top. Expensive but never had a problem since.

Take your battery out and have it checked at Auto Zone or NAPA to see if it might be causing the problem.

When I bought my Bighorn I looked at the battery. Interstate. I had them remove it and install my Sams Gel Cell and I added a second one.

No problems, don't have to worry about filling it with water and such.
Worth the money.

BC

sidney dreyfus

converter problem

I own a 2006 Bighorn 3200RL and would like to ask about my converter which is not converting. When hooked up to shore power the 110 components run just fine, yet those items that run on the battery still operate on battery when hooked to shore power. This obviously runs the battery down while camping. I installed the battery while preparing the camper for or first camping trip of the season and noticed the cabin lights getting dim then check the battery indicator to see it losing its charge. I tried recyling the circuit breaker for the converter, and then the main breaker switch yet nothing. I also replaced all fuses. Is there a reset on the converter, and where is the converter located on this model. I believe it migh be behind the circuit breaker and fuse box yet don't know how to access it.

Any ideas on this problem and suggestions on how to remedy?

When I had a problem with our converter several months ago I eventually found out the electrical outlet the converter was plugged into was not working properly so the converter wasn't getting any juice. It turned out to be that simple. Just one of the posibilities that might be causing your problem.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
When I bought my Bighorn I looked at the battery. Interstate.
BC

I've had my Interstate since I bought my BH 34 months ago and I've had no problems. Hardly ever have to add H2O. Although when it finally fails, I may go with a couple of Trojan golf cart batteries for longer use. I think Interstate makes good batteries.

christianson

My experiance with converter is don't try to charge a dead battery with your converter it gets to hot charge your battery up with conventional charger first then put the battery on converter if converter gose out you can hock conventional charger to battery and get by with it till you get it replaced

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
Converter issue

I once thought I had a converter problem. Everything on 12 volt was getting dim but the 120 lights worked fine when we were hooked up to power. Turned out the converter became unplugged, I think from driving on a rough road. In my 3055 the converter is behind a panel on the left side when you open the door side storage area. I have a vent grill that I looked in and saw the outlet that had my central vac plugged in and the other cord was not plugged in. I removed the vent grill, reached in and plugged up the cord and my converter started to work. Also there are some fuses, 2 I think, that are on the converter itself.