Enough truck?

wrehfield

Good Morning,
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel, automatic tranny. I am
acquiring a 2009 Big Horn 3580RL 38 foot fifth wheel. Is this
enough truck for this heavy fifth wheel? Am I looking at a dually?
Thanks, all.
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

MTPockets

My guess is your truck payload rating will be lower than your trailer loaded pin weight. Your pulling power is good. Many do pull these with SRW trucks while technically overloaded. My advice would be DRW for that rig. The only way to confirm is to check your door sticker for maximum payload (if they did that in 2003), (today it's a requirement) then weigh your loaded rig to get pin weight.

SNOKING

Good Morning,
Thanks, all.
Bill

If it is a SRW, then will have pin weight issues, as the 17" tires have a low rating. If it is a DRW pin weight is not an issue for you. In either case you are looking at the issue of descending our NW mountain passes with a lot trailer and no exhaust brake. The Cummins and auto tranny in 2003 provided just about zero hold back coming down a mountain pass, so you are completely relying on the service and trailer brakes.

Dry pin weight of 2200 could easily be 3000 to 3200 pounds, which by the time you add a hitch to the truck will put you over the rear tires of a SRW truck of that vintage. Chris

Here are some spec's I found:

2009 3580RL Specifications
Sleeps4
Slides3
Ext Width8 ft
Ext Height12 ft 11 in
Hitch Weight2200 lbs
Gross Weight16000 lbs
Dry Weight11930 lbs
Fresh Water Capacity75 gals
Grey Water Capacity90 gals
Black Water Capacity45 gals
Tire SizeLT235/85R16G
Furnace BTU40000 btu
VINE012707

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Goto www.fifthwheelst.com to learn how to figure your safe towing ability. Please don't use public opinion to determine your safety on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNOKING

Good Morning,
Thanks, all.
Bill

I just notice the last statement. "Am I looking at a dually?" The newest generation SRW trucks for all three will handle it if you are careful with your loading and weights. The fact that you are open to a dually is good.

As I noted earlier, you want a TV with a good exhaust brake. The NW is full of mountain passes, so that requirement should be right up there with the ability to handle the pin weight. Your present 2003 RAM SRW is not a good match to this trailer. The 17" tires on 3rd gen RAM have low weight rating that gave those trucks a low 6K(I believe) Rear GAWR.

Dually time! Go drive a new RAM 3500 dually with rear air suspension and Aisin transmission with 3.73 or 4.10 gears. Take the 2003 vehicle title along. Dennis Dillon in Boise has the best prices in the NW.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired

SNOKING

X2. Dave has set up a site that makes it easy to KNOW what is within legal limits and what's not.

Or ours.

The term "legal limits" gets used a lot on RV sites. In reality the Federal Bridge Weight Laws are what are enforced at weigh stations you are told to bypass along our highways. No pickup truck and/or TV with RV trailer is going to exceed those weight laws.

A pickup's GVWR and GCWR are manufacturers numbers. States like Washington State license tonnage and collect fees for it. Our 2001 RAM with a 8800 manufacturers GVWR was licensed for 12,000 according to the state formula, and was legal in all states up to tht weight.

GAWR and tire ratings are the only two numbers that an aggressive LEO weight officer might stick his nose into, along with the correct amount of tonnage in states that license it.. The average patrol office has little or no interest in RV weights.

It is to bad that more states do not require higher class drivers license and the associated knowledge required to pass the exam for operating a RV combination.

Chris

Lynn1130

Goto www.fifthwheelst.com to learn how to figure your safe towing ability. Please don't use public opinion to determine your safety on the road.

X3
This loaded question is another that gets asked here at least one a month and maybe more. No offense to those trying to help but the above comment is the best advice. Would you buy a tow vehicle because a salesman said it will be ok? Would you buy a tow vehicle because someone you never met on a forum on the Internet said it will be ok? Would you buy a bridge I have for sale in NY City?

SNOKING

X3
This loaded question is another that gets asked here at least one a month and maybe more. No offense to those trying to help but the above comment is the best advice. Would you buy a tow vehicle because a salesman said it will be ok? Would you buy a tow vehicle because someone you never met on a forum on the Internet said it will be ok? Would you buy a bridge I have for sale in NY City?

You do know the hotshot haulers laugh at RVers and their weight police?

Chris

I tow with my 2003 3500 DRW 4x4 Cummins HO 6sp. When I drove my Cyclone 3110 off the lot I immediately realized I needed more power. Luckily for us it is easy to add power. Not sure how your auto tranny will hold up but so far even with mods my clutch is holding up just fine. Here are some mods I added and I am happy now with the performance as a result.

Smarty Jr. set on tow mode adds around 70 hp.
Make sure you have an exhaust temp gauge.
Cold air intake.
4 or 5" exhaust with a very large free flowing muffler to keep the noise down help cool exhaust temps and a tip that directs the exhaust downward.
Intake manifold although I am not sure this did much for me.
Exhaust brake.
Air bags
Adjustable shocks
Gear Vendor over/under drive is nice to have although I might research other options if I did this again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
X3
This loaded question is another that gets asked here at least one a month and maybe more. No offense to those trying to help but the above comment is the best advice. Would you buy a tow vehicle because a salesman said it will be ok? Would you buy a tow vehicle because someone you never met on a forum on the Internet said it will be ok?

I thought free advice was worth every penny spent! :eek:

Would you buy a bridge I have for sale in NY City?

Maybe . . . what bridge are you talking about????? :p :rolleyes: :confused: :cool:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Something I ponder.... The safety of our loved ones at stake as we travel. Which is better? More than enough truck, or "assumed" it's OK.

padre44

You'll get a ton of advice and opinions. Read the owner's manual of the truck yourself and the specs of the trailer and make your decision on that.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Something I ponder.... The safety of our loved ones at stake as we travel. Which is better? More than enough truck, or "assumed" it's OK.

That is why I always say . . .

"It's not what it can pull . . . but what can it STOP!?"

MTPockets

. Safety #1... Stroll thru any campground and it appears that 1) not so much consideration given to that, or 2) folks are just not aware of their weights and capacities.

SNOKING

. Safety #1... Stroll thru any campground and it appears that 1) not so much consideration given to that, or 2) folks are just not aware of their weights and capacities.

I see no one telling the OP that his 2003 RAM is the correct vehicle for the trailer noted?

I provided some real world numbers that show that it is the wrong truck weight wise, and does not have an exhaust brake. Chris

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I see no one telling the OP that his 2003 RAM is the correct vehicle for the trailer noted?

I provided some real world numbers that show that it is the wrong truck weight wise, and does not have an exhaust brake. Chris

Good Morning,
Thanks, all.
Bill

That simply isn't true. The OP wanted learn about a tow vehicle for a trailer he is buying and a link to 5th wheel street was provided. Everything anybody wanted to learn about towing safely can be learned there. Thanks again to David Gray for all the leg work putting it together.