Bones Gateway 3650BH

Bones

Every now and then I have a mod I like to share with the group So I'll post them here. Over time I will add the mods that I have already done. Ciao :cool:

jbeletti

Looking forward to seeing your mods in this thread. Detailing mod with pictures serves to inspire others that they too can tackle some of these. Thanks in advance for sharing.

Bones

1st one. This is a mod I am currently working on. I saw this on an older post by Jim B early on. I found myself constantly wondering about our fridge and knowing if it is still running so I would always open the door to the camper to see if the light was on or have my ear pressed against the slide to hear if the fridge was running every time we came to a pit stop area.

I found a small power transformer. Its former life was as a desktop speaker power supply. I checked the voltage and to my luck it pumped out 12 volts DC. The amperage was very low so I was not sure if it would work but figured what the heck lets try it.

0627161614_HDR.jpg0627161614a_HDR.jpg

I ordered a indicator light from amazon. I ordered it in green to mean all good. The theory is simple if the inverter is on it supplies power to the fridge and the light. If the light is on fridge is on.

indicator light.JPG
Here is the light I used

Below I tested the light to see if it works and as you can see it does.
0627161614b_HDR.jpg0627161614c_HDR.jpg

The next step will be to find a good location where I can see the light from my side view mirror which may be a little difficult. I can't really see anything out my rear view mirror because I usually have kids and a dog in the back seats and they block a good bit of the view.

I'll post more as I continue the project.

Update:

I had some time to finish up the install before I took the camper back to storage. I'm slightly disappointed in the light output. I thought it would be brighter.

0705161638.jpg
I chose this spot because I could get to it and easily see the light in the side view mirror. I used the tape to give me an idea of the placement and to let me know if I would be able to see it driving.

0705161638a.jpg0705161646b.jpg0705161735a.jpg
You can see the hole here and the frame support to the right.

0705161734_HDR.jpg
I moved the refrigerator cord so I could put the power supply in place. Later I taped it there so it would not come out

0705161735.jpg
Light off
0705161726a.jpg
Light on
0705161726.jpg
Here is what it looks like from a distance. It was sunny but I'm not impressed by the brightness. I had hoped it would be brighter. Perhaps I made a mistake. We will see how well it works in a couple weeks when I am on my way to the eastern rally.

Last edited:

Bones

Update to the refrigerator indicator light mod in post #3 of this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

GWRam

I installed a small light like yours just placed it over by the battery vent. Ours worked great for the first 15 days. Then noticed the frig wasn't running from the invertor, only on AC(external) power. I haven't trouble shot to find out why but found that the light burnt out and tripped the GFI on the inverter. Reset the GFI with the light unplugged and no more frig problem. I Need to order a new light. It was great to just look in the mirror and know the frig has power.

Bones

I installed a small light like yours just placed it over by the battery vent. Ours worked great for the first 15 days. Then noticed the frig wasn't running from the invertor, only on AC(external) power. I haven't trouble shot to find out why but found that the light burnt out and tripped the GFI on the inverter. Reset the GFI with the light unplugged and no more frig problem. I Need to order a new light. It was great to just look in the mirror and know the frig has power.

Was yours bright? I drove to the rally and there were times I couldn't see the light but that could have just been me trying to see if I could tell. Most of the time I could see it.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Nice job Dave :) It's about time you started a tread and shared it with us. Looks real good. With all of our trips, that light has saved us several times already.

Bones

Nice job Dave :) It's about time you started a tread and shared it with us. Looks real good. With all of our trips, that light has saved us several times already.
Thanks Jerrod. When I have more time I'll put up what I have already done and track so.e new stuff.

GWRam

Was yours bright? I drove to the rally and there were times I couldn't see the light but that could have just been me trying to see if I could tell. Most of the time I could see it.

IMG_8825.JPG
Ours is not very bright, but is directly inline with the passenger side rear view mirror. With that mirror it is easy to tell its on.

Bones

We recently purchased one of those screened in tents called the clam and this prompted me to do a mod to the basement storage area. I have been running into this issue with some of my longer items and trying to find a home for them. They are usually awkward and not always big but long. When I remove stuff I usually have to take them out first to get to what I want. I thought a shelf would best serve my purpose. I made it just high enough to get the tents in and drying rack and some beach umbrellas. It should leave me plenty of room to put my storage bins on top. Enjoy. That drop frame sure would be nice right about now. :)

0911160723.jpg
The boards are cut to size for width. I chose 33 inches wide and the uprights to be 9 inches high. All the board is 3/4. Heavy stuff. :)

0911161127a.jpg
I took a trip to the camper this am to get a good feel for my length and what I thought would work best. I chose 78 inches which would give me some over hang on one side of the basement. You'll see in a later picture.

0911161127b.jpg
I'm starting the shelf and cutting the pieces down to the correct length. While I was at the camper I changed my mind and decided that I would notch the shelf to slide in-between the drain pipes. It would have been soooo much easier to not notch the boards.

0911161417.jpg
Here I'm showing the notches in the shelf on the one side.

0911161417c.jpg 0911161436a.jpg

0911161440a.jpg
A couple views of the project.

0911161640.jpg 0911161640a.jpg
While I was staring at my shelf and thinking if I was going to be sliding things underneath that I might hit the drain pipes and I could eventually damage them so I built some protection around the pipe and will also serve as extra support and strength when I moved the shelf around.

0911161720.jpg
Sometimes that hitch really gets in the way.

0911161720b.jpg
A view of my basement before the shelf.

0911161726.jpg 0911161726a.jpg

0911161727b.jpg 0911161727c.jpg
Here I am dry fitting the shelf in the basement to make sure everything looks good before I cover everything.

0911161833.jpg 0911161925.jpg

0911161925a.jpg
Starting the felt lining process. Boy that glue stinks.

0911162031.jpg
The final product. Sorry no more pictures as I lost daylight and was trying to finish. I'll post a picture later when I have the shelf installed and what it looks like.

I might add that I weight tested the shelf and all is good. I don't think my storage bins will be too much.

Update:
I had some time to fit the final shelf into the camper.

0914161825.jpg
0914161826.jpg
0914161826a.jpg

Last edited:

TikiDawg

Bones,
Excellent Job!
Question: What did you use for the "cover" material? Where did you get it from?

Bones

Bones,
Excellent Job!
Question: What did you use for the "cover" material? Where did you get it from?
I used Craft Felt from JoAnn's. To cover the top and sides the cost was $7. It is typically for sale at 6 bucks a yard. I buy the cheaper stuff. They have premium felt there for 8 bucks a yard but the cheaper stuff works just fine. I use contact cement to glue the fabric to the wood. This time I used a router to soften the edges on the top board. When you get the fabric. It will usually be on a bolt and folded in half and is 72 inches wide, add three feet to that and you'll have a fabric yard. This project required a bit more than that.

Bones

In an effort to equalize my tires I bought the Corssfire system and installed them. As of now I have a vibration issue above 60 MPH. I'm not sure if it is them causing it but I suspect them as being the cause. I have moved them inward a little but not much and some vibration has gone away but not all.

1028161622.jpg1028161652.jpg

After I moved them inward a bit.

1102161157a.jpg1102161156a.jpg

I'm not quite sure what to try next. The brackets are heavy so That could be it or it could be the units themselves. I haven't be able to find too much about this issue online. I may unfortunately have to mount them to my axle bolts but was hoping to not have to do that.