looking at the Mallard M28

we have looked at almost every camper out there. its not our first rodeo we just want to upgrade with a slide. looked at 5th wheels also. were considering a Dutchmen aerolite. but saw the mallard m28 with basically the same floorplan and options. but don't know much about heartland.

jimtoo

Hi grapeachy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Heartland has proven to be a great company to support their customers. Quality of construction is really good, but maybe cleanup needs a little help after construction. But they are working on it.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Enjoy the forum and hope to see you at a rally in a Heartland.

Jim M

Hello gapeachy24, we have a 2015 Mallard M28 and we love it. It's my understanding this was the first year or two of the Mallard built by Heartland and you will notice some significant changes between ours and the new 2016 units. It's basically identical to the North Trail, only branded as a Mallard to be sold at Camping World. They have added a full front cap to the 2016 trailers and also the sides look to be gel coat instead of the filon we have. I expect ours to last just as long as the gel coat will since I take very good care of my trailer as far as cleaning and waxing is concerned. I think they added the awning tube LEDs like most new campers have (ours only has the outside porch light). Our Camping World salesman said he was almost sure it had the LEDs, but they could not roll out the awning to check since the units were packed in so tight on the lot (Chattanooga). I was disappointed to find it did NOT have them, but that was not a deal breaker. They have added the electric stabilizer feet instead of the scissor style we have. I like ours better because I've been in some with the electrics and they seem to allow more bounce inside the camper. At least that is the case with our friends Forest River camper. I think the front cap also has LED lights in it, but I'm not sure about that. Like jimtoo mentioned, there are some areas of cleanup to do when you purchase a new trailer. There will be areas where a lot of construction dust is left, for instance above the medicine cabinet in the bathroom. Some closets and storage areas may have construction dust that wasn't cleaned up, etc. I also had to clean up around the on board water pump filter. Somebody went nuts with the spray foam when they were building it and the cap on the pump filter housing was loose. The first time we used our fresh tank we had water coming out from under the island. I cut away a big chunk of the foam and found the loose lid. It was an easy fix, it just should not have been needed if they paid closer attention at the factory. Again, we love our camper and are very satisfied overall. I have closely looked at ours top to bottom and I would put the overall fit and finish against anything else in it's price range. This is our third trailer also, so I'm not a newbie to the travel trailer world. We started with a 14 foot, then a 19 foot, then our current 28 foot Mallard. We plan to keep it a LONG time. I would not hesitate to recommend a Mallard.