Toilet Issues

dannyjo83

This Tuesday July 5th I will be taking our 2015 Heartland Bighorn in for work. One issue is the master toilet is broken. The handle showed resistance for a while and then upon flushing I heard a popping sound and the seal no longer opened or closed. Now the half bath toilet is showing some resistance and I worry it will break as well. Our rig is only one year old. Is this normal for the toilets? Any suggestions?

gasman

Camp Socializer
This is not normal for either Dometic or Thetford. The most common issues with toilets are ball seal replacement and water valve replacement. Have your dealer check it out to determine the problem.

wdk450

I had this happen to me. The plastic shaft on the ball valve has probably snapped. The replacement part I bought at the local trailer supply in Newport, Oregon was made of BRASS.

I don't know if this is the correct part for your toilet, but it illustrates the replacement BRASS shaft for the original plastic shaft: https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-3853...=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=dometic+toilet+ball+valve

You might also need a pedal.

There are manuals available on any forum page under "Tools" then "Manuals" and through the submenus. Here is a direct link to the toilets manuals: https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/?man=Plumbing/Toilet

boristd

Hi. Just a couple of questions from the other side of the world! I have A Dometic 310 model toilet in my BC3250. It has the pedal snapped off when I purchased it and thought it would be a little issue to resolve. It appears not to be an easy fix as the shaft has broken on the ball valve assy and some of the bits are missing as well. Bill pointed to a part on Amazon. My one is doesn't look like this (Well I haven't fully disassembled mine yet) but looking from the top it looks a little different. Is the brass shaft shown a modification / enhancement as I would expect the plastic shaft to be a weak point. The Dometic agents in NZ have been very vague on this and passed me to Sealand agents who again aren't much help either!
Questions, 1- If I order the Ball and shaft kit do it need to order a pedal as well. 2 - Also are they specifically handed to either side , ie left or right and any other information would be helpful. Thanks in advance. Alan

boristd

Yes the Sealand model is $NZ795. I see the Dometic 320 at $US135 on Amazon but the postage is something like $US300. Free in the USA lol! The joys of being a little out of the way. It may end up with me disassembling the whole thing and manufacturing / reworking the original ball myself if the costs start getting up there. Thanks Alan

mlpeloquin

Are you using a tank treatment that also cleans the toilet and lubricates the valve? So far I have not had any problems with my Thetford toilets using Happy Camper treatment. People have been changing the Thetford for Dometic do to valve problems, but I so far have not had any problems.

boristd

Well after a bit of research and response from Dometic that they do not supply replacement parts (well the bits I needed. Foot pedal and butterfly valve assy) but they could supply a whole assy for NZ$595 grrr I decided to have a go fixing it myself.
A little disassembly required and I had to take to it with a hacksaw to separate the pedestal from the ceramic bowl as the screws had rusted, I got it apart. A nice 12mm x 80mm Stainless Steel coach bolt, a couple of nuts and a long grub screw thru the butterfly valve and out to the foot pedal I now have a fully functioning unit. Had to replace a couple of the base to ceramic securing bolts with dry wall expanding screws when reassembling it together. If anyone wants any advise I am pretty clued up on the whole unit. Thanks for the help and advise. Alan