Still Chucking

Club91

Help!! We have tried everything Camping World has suggested and nothing is working. 2016 GMC dually, Moryde pin box, Reese elite hitch, airbags...you name it, we have tried it. Still chucking...anyone have any ideas?

jhardin

I bought a BD3 Trailer Saver hitch. Seemed to help (90%) of the chucking on mine. I also have the air bags on truck. I have the standard pin box though, and have heard (stressing HEARD, I don't know) the trailer saver with the trailer air pin box or Moyride practically stopped the chucking. The Trailer Saver hitch did help on mine though. Good luck!

http://www.trailersaver.com/product/bd3-air-ride-5th-wheel-hitch/

jbeletti

I bought a BD3 Trailer Saver hitch. Seemed to help (90%) of the chucking on mine. I also have the air bags on truck. I have the standard pin box though, and have heard (stressing HEARD, I don't know) the trailer saver with the trailer air pin box or Moyride practically stopped the chucking. The Trailer Saver hitch did help on mine though. Good luck!

http://www.trailersaver.com/product/bd3-air-ride-5th-wheel-hitch/

I have the Trailersaver TS3 hitch and the MORryde pinbox and experience *very little chucking.

* The footnote to that statement is that certain road conditions will always exist that conspire with your setup (truck length/RV/hitch etc) to induce chucking. What I mean by this is that it's impossible to eliminate chucking in all cases, but many of the steps we've all taken, all have a role to play in reducing chucking.

For what it's worth, I define chucking as that push-pull or porpoising action you get at times on certain stretches of road. I find this most often occurs on concrete sections of highway where the expansion joints (cuts) are just the right interval. Also on concrete sections of highway, where the concrete pour was such that waves were introduced in the pour or grooming. While less often, I've also had chucking on some stretches of asphalt highway.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
AirLift 5000 bags in the truck.
Standard Reese 16k hitch
FlexAir pin box

Very little chucking. And the up and down motion has been dampened tremendously.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Do you have a lot of weight loaded behind the rear axle of the trailer ?
Do you have bike rack on the back ?
Try moving more weight forward in front of the axle pivot point, just to see if it makes a difference.
Try running with the bathroom gray tank full, again just to see if it makes a difference.
I think that rig is already front end heavy but maybe more will help.
Just my 2 cents

Bones

My suggestion is to get someone who has been driving for a while to go with you and tell you if everything is good or it needs help. You will never get everything to go away. Just the nature of the roads

MTPockets

Help!! We have tried everything Camping World has suggested and nothing is working. 2016 GMC dually, Moryde pin box, Reese elite hitch, airbags...you name it, we have tried it. Still chucking...anyone have any ideas?
. Is the trailer level? Should not be nose high. Are the MorRyde torsion bolts at correct torque? Load heavy items forward of trailer axles.

MCTalley

From previously having the same pinbox and hitch combination, I can almost tell you that the continued chucking may be caused by the fact that both the pinbox and the hitch both have a lot of horizontal movement due to both having rubber or urethane bushings meant to allow and dampen such movement.

We more recently changed to a B&W Companion hitch which has less horizontal movement that helped quite a bit. We just changed pinboxes to a TrailAir FlexAir pinbox and it reduced it even more.

hoefler

You did not mention your truck set up. Short bed or long bed? If you have a short bed, you might need to move your hitch forward. With hitch mounted center of axle or behind, you will get a chucking/porpoising affect.

OEFVET

You did not mention your truck set up. Short bed or long bed? If you have a short bed, you might need to move your hitch forward. With hitch mounted center of axle or behind, you will get a chucking/porpoising affect.

GMC dully=8' bed

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Get very little chucking with the Air Lift 5000 and a Mor/Ryde pinbox. See (sig) for TV.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We have the same truck, except it's 2015, Mor Ryde pinbox with a Curt 24Q...no chucking at all...

Club91

is your hitch directly over the axle? we have tried to get the hitch 2-3 inches toward the cab. Haven't succeeded in doing that yet.

rxbristol

I installed a Flex Air pin box and we've changed the name of our 5th wheel from "Bucky" to "La Casa Rodante".

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

On my 2008 GMC 3500 Duramax, I did lowered the back 2" with longer rear shackles. Then I twisted the over load spring stops down in the front still using 3 of the 4 bolt holes. Now it sits better when I'm not towing. When I am towing I run my air bags at about 60psi to keep it off the overload spring stops. Right now I have a small intermittent air leak and as soon as I loose about 5 or 7 lbs is goes down and starts hitting the overload stops, and you can insanity feel it start chucking and beating us up. I can start feeling it in my back. Then I'll reach down and air up the bags back to 60 lbs and it all smooths out again.
Just have to find that sweet spot

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ramdually4100king

If it happens during times of acceleration it's probably axel wrap. I had that problem until I added two leaf springs per side. It makes for a stiff ride while empty but with the 4500lbs of hitch weight it's a smooth ride with no chucking (axel wrap).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Unless you have a "puck" setup. The bolts that hold the hitch rails in place to the frame mounts only go in one way.

Crumgater

We had some chucking that was coming from the hitch-to-truck-rails connection... we put squares of foam shelf liner between the hitch and the rails, and that took it out.

Of course, that also insulated the hitch from the truck's ground, so we ran into an electrical issue (the ground wire on the Ford plug is not sufficient for the current loading, so the hitch connection itself provides an extra ground to complete the circuit)... but we fixed that by connecting the trailer to the truck frame with some jumper cables.