Replaced the ODS cargo door.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
So, I finally got around to removing and replacing the warped/swollen ODS cargo door. Using one that I bought from Jon Holbert, last Fall. So I remove the OEM door/frame and find there's absolutely NO caulking behind it, only a thin bead along the perimeter of the frame. There is a groove along the back side of the frame that could be filled with caulk/sealant, but there's nothing there. Another penny savings by Heartland?? Installing the replacement, I filled that groove with outdoor silicone and then used Dicor Non-leveling around the perimeter of the frame. I also applied clear outdoor silicone around the inner and outer frame where it meets the door panel. After removing the OEM door, I made some test cuts and it's full of water, which explains the splitting and cracking seen in the photos from freeze/thaw. Thanks Heartland, your engineering isn't worth what comes out of the black tank. Next up is the large door on the DS.

So, if your older basement doors are swelling and cracking, and you live in the cold north, take a look at how poorly they install the cargo door. I had to add wood shims and longer screws to get the door frame to fit properly, even though it was the same size as the OEM.

Some things never change. Poor workmanship seems to be one of them.

Attachments

• OEM Door 1.jpg
    OEM Door 1.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 99
  • OEM Door 2.jpg
    OEM Door 2.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 102
  • OEM Door 3.jpg
    OEM Door 3.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 92
  • New ODS Door.jpg
    New ODS Door.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

mlpeloquin

Looks good. It appears that the swelling is the door itself. If so, it is not a Heartland assembly problem. The door assemblies and frames are put together and mated at the supplier, Lippert. I know, because I ordered a replacement and installed it. Heartland gets them as a complete assembly. Only the outer frame is installed onto the fifth wheel. If that isn't sealed properly, then it is a Heartland assembly problem. Just reading about ramp doors made by Lippert. Doesn't seem like they seal any door they manufacture. It maybe a good thing that we seal around all our doors ASAP. Heartland should spec that all the doors supplied to them are properly sealed. Still had my old compartment door. Pealed the aluminum from around the outer edge. No sealant at all! New project for me is to run sealant around all compartment doors.

JohnDar

Yes, it was the door panel that swelled. The sealing of the panel frame is another joke. What I didn't photo are the four large screw holes in the wall panel, just barely covered by the door frame. Filled them with silicone and hid them with the Dicor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

Yes, it was the door panel that swelled. The sealing of the panel frame is another joke. What I didn't photo are the four large screw holes in the wall panel, just barely covered by the door frame. Filled them with silicone and hid them with the Dicor.

Yes. The door frame was too easy to remove. A very thin calk line around the outside edge. Must always keep the pointing inspected and in good condition around everything. Doors, windows, trim, roof, and have I missed anything? If it has to be removed again, one hatch door will not just come out with a gentle pull. A safety razor pushed around the edge will break it free though.

JohnDar

Replaced the large DS door today. Went a little faster, due to "experience." Same thing, though, a minimal bead around the edge of the frame. This door wasn't as bad of shape as the other one, but since I had gotten both from Jon, no point in waiting. Glad I thought ahead and brought a few of my WW'ing quick-clamps along.

BTW, the doors are/were made by Elixir Industries in Elkhart. But they don't make them anymore. Initially, I tried to get replacements from them, but their website indicated the Elkhart plant was no longer operating. Heartland and the RV junk yards were no help, either

JohnDar

I'm glad the doors worked out well for you John.

Yes, they did, Jon! If you happen to still have the battery compartment/hydraulic door on hand, I might be interested in that. While replacing the DS one, I noticed that it's starting to swell at the bottom.

This will be the last RV we buy, so maintaining it until we're fed up with it is what I do. The next vacation "investment" will be a cottage on the lake.

JohnDar

A follow-up:

Still getting water behind the ODS cargo door and collecting on the door frame. The door does not close tightly enough to the gasket to prevent water that runs down the wall and into the frame from getting past and running down the back side of the door. Actually had a little on the rubber mat inside.

My next "fix" will be to attach a section of roof gutter trim just above the door frames on both the ODS and DS to divert the run-down from the walls away from the door openings. I've got the gutter sections, putty tape and the vinyl insert to dress it out. Finding the same type of screws that are OEM (white, #2 square drive) is a problem, however. Two RV dealers I tried didn't have them or would order me a 1000 of them. Finally had to resort to eBay to buy a package of 100.

Since we've got rain (had a heavy storm yesterday and today) forecasted, I taped the ODS door with blue painters tape to cover the gaps between the frame and door until I'm ready to mount the gutter.