Microwave and electrical

RottsNScotts

Hi! I am having a GREAT time in my 2015 Cyclone 4114!

Have run into a little problem. After dry camping for a few weeks, I am now at a 30 amp site. I have been at 30 amp sites previously without a problem.

However, this stop, if I run my microwave, all my power that is not on the batteries shuts off for about 2-3 minutes then turns itself back on.

I even tried turning everything electrical OFF before running the microwave, and it still does it.

I have not tried running the a/c to see what that does; too chicken!

What could it be and what do I need to do?

Thanks and happy 4th to everyone!

wdk450

From your symptoms, it sounds like you have a built-in Progressive Electrical Management System (EMS) which is detecting a low voltage condition when you run the microwave. The microprocessor and the power pass relay work to protect electrical devices in your trailer from electrical conditions that might damage your expensive electrical devices. When the EMS detects that the electrical fault condition is gone, it will restore the power.

The EMS system looks like this: Progressive EMS Photo.jpg . The readout may or may not be present - if it is, it continually displays the voltage, current and frequency of the power passed through it, with 2 possible 50 amp legs. There is a BYPASS switch on the remote readout that will continually energize the power pass relay, bypassing the computerized protection the system offers in nuisance situations. Here is a link to the EMS system info: http://www.progressiveindustries.net/#!ems-hw50c/cjk6

Note: Your campsite wiring may have deficiencies that cause the voltage to sag under momentary high current demand, like starting a microwave or air conditioner. The most common cause of this is a burnt/corroded 30 amp outlet on the campsite pedestal. This will often cause your male 30 amp plug prongs to discolor and melt the plastic. This whole syndrome is caused by RVers connecting and disconnecting their shore power cords with the pedestal circuit breaker ON. This action causes an electrical arc when connecting/disconnectin at the 30 amp male/female plug/socket contacts, which starts a poor contact/electrical resistance heating/metal corrosion syndrome that will eventually result in failure of the 30 amp electrical connection. If you can, have the park inspect your pedestal and change out the 30 amp female connector, or move to another space.

RottsNScotts

Thanks for the great information!

With it being the 4th, there aren't any sites available, so they say (I walked by quite a few when I took the dogs out for their 2 1/2 mile hike but what do I know!) and I leave Tuesday morning.

Will I hurt anything if very occasionally trip it? For example, I know it does not like the microwave but it had handled the coffee maker previously but did not like it tonight!

I can avoid annoying it by "scheduling" higher power times and using my generator if necessary. If I do use my generator for short periods, do I unhook from the 30 amp?

Thanks again for all your help!

I come back here on the 14th; I will be sure they put me in a better site!

SNOKING

Do you have a way to view or measure AC line voltage? Sounds like park is having voltage brown out. Any of your neighbors having ptoblems.

Top right in this picture is my Progressive Industries remote showing 113 V AC. Chris

RottsNScotts

I have a Progressive Industries product that is plugged in between the power source and my electrical cable to the RV. It is currently showing L-2, OA and 123 but I can't tell what it shows when attempting to use the microwave as it is outside and the microwave is inside and there is only me and the hounds (who can't spot for me when I am trying to park either! What kind of awful dog trainer AM I???? LOL)

Haven't spoken much to the neighbors. I have noticed a number of spaces near me have "No Power" signs when I can see a power source in the space.

wdk450

Thanks for the great information!

With it being the 4th, there aren't any sites available, so they say (I walked by quite a few when I took the dogs out for their 2 1/2 mile hike but what do I know!) and I leave Tuesday morning.

Will I hurt anything if very occasionally trip it? For example, I know it does not like the microwave but it had handled the coffee maker previously but did not like it tonight!

Reply: It should not hurt anything to trip the EMS, although many repeated switches of the EMS power relay with a heavy load on it will cause contact arcing on the relay and reduce its effective life. I do everything I can to normally NOT have the EMS switch a high current load including turning my inside master breakers OFF before disconnecting shore power, and turning those same inside breakers ON last thing after connecting shore power when hooking up. This causes the possible large current arc to be on the easily replaceable master breakers instead of the inaccessable and hard part to get EMS power relay.

I can avoid annoying it by "scheduling" higher power times and using my generator if necessary. If I do use my generator for short periods, do I unhook from the 30 amp?

Reply: You can use your generator any time you feel like it and the current path for your generator includes a TRANSFER SWITCH relay (like the big one in the EMS box) that automatically switches the power source supplying your AC breaker box from shore power to generator power when you power up the generator. There is usually a 30 second lag on the transfer relay energizing to assure that the generator power is stable. You may hear the transfer switch relay "CLUNK" as it switches over. Power is switched back to shore power immediately if generator power is lost.

Thanks again for all your help!

Reply: If I were you, I would inspect your 30A shore power plug, especially immediately after running a heavy electrical load. Look for plug blade discoloration and feel the plug blades for heat. A good electrical connection should not get hot. If these tests fail, I would try to get the RV park to replace your pedestal 30 amp electrical supply socket.

I come back here on the 14th; I will be sure they put me in a better site!

Computer didn't like my replies within a quoted text.

danemayer

If you have a meter, take some voltage readings inside the coach, including the microwave outlet. If you have a problem with the neutral connection in the coach, that might be causing the problem. If you read HOT to NEUTRAL and HOT to GROUND, the readings should be very close to the same. If off by more than 0.2 V, you may have a neutral problem.

If you turn off the circuit breaker for the microwave, you might want to pull the outlet away from the wall/cabinet and inspect the wires to see if anything is loose.

Make sure the shore power cord is securely connected to the trailer connector.

RottsNScotts

Picky computer!

I figured it out!

- - - Updated - - -

Have a meter, just have to break it out of its packaging!

It is a nice rainy day out here on the coast so that sounds like a good project for this morning.

Thanks!