Chines bombs and Tryon

azbound

Has anyone had experience with Tyron on their wheels? Does it minimize the tire coming apart and damaging the RV? guess what I am asking is with TYRON can you effectively minimize the damage when the Chines bombs explode?

cjbearden

Visitor
We have had Tyron put on the wheels of our new Landmark (actually switched our Goodyear G614's from our old BH to the new Augusta, which has GY GS tires that were thinner than our tires and have too much roll in them). Saw pictures at K&C RV Sales, our dealer in Longmont, CO, that convinced us adding Tyron can prevent some serious damage and/or accidents if a tire suddenly loses air or blows out while traveling. Prayerfully, we never have to tell a story of how well Tyron works but glad to know we have it. :eek:

Forrest Fetherolf

We have had Tyron put on the wheels of our new Landmark (actually switched our Goodyear G614's from our old BH to the new Augusta, which has GY GS tires that were thinner than our tires and have too much roll in them). Saw pictures at K&C RV Sales, our dealer in Longmont, CO, that convinced us adding Tyron can prevent some serious damage and/or accidents if a tire suddenly loses air or blows out while traveling. Prayerfully, we never have to tell a story of how well Tyron works but glad to know we have it. :eek:

cj,

I am very suspect as to why you were told to use Tyron because the tire sidewall is thinner and too much roll.............the metal band only keeps the lip of the tire from dropping into the recessed wheel area and the wheel from coming in contact with the road until the rubber is ground off. It can't keep the tire from shredding or delaminating which is usually the case with trailer blowouts. The shredding and delamination is what causes all the damage. I have had several blowouts with double axle trailers and never experienced anything more than a boom, vibration. and slight trailer wiggle. I would prefer spending the money for low tire sensors.

Forrest

osims

bsims
cj
I am surprised that you are having to change your tires. We traded in our bighorn for a 09 Landmark when we left the April rally in Houston and it came from the factory with Goodyear G614's. I thought they were standard on all Landmarks now.
Bill

The RV-Ramblers

BigHorn Owners
I have 4 [FONT=&quot]Michelin® XPS RIB LT245/75R16 tires with less than 1,000 miles on them for sale in the 'For Sale' listings.[/FONT]

cjbearden

Visitor
The G614's that were on the Augusta are standard but they are GS, made strictly for manufacturers and are thinner. (One of them even has a "B" on it meaning it has a blemish). Placing our GY next to the ones that were on the Augusta, you can see a definite difference.

We just feel more comfortable with the Goodyear's we bought a few months ago and it was no big deal to swap out the tires between the RVs. Plus we had replaced the old BH steel-wheeled spare with a new aluminum wheel and GY tire that will actually fit the hub of the RV. The spare that came on the BH would not work on the BH's hub!!!!

Cost of the Tyron bands was not that great for us -sorry I cannot quote it as it was a special deal - and will provide a better chance that the tire remains on the rim. Fender guards on the RV are made to tear away and easily replaced. Hopefully, the Tyron bands will prevent blow outs from blowing back under the rig causing other damage.

Like everything on our rigs - what works for one person may not be someone else's 'cup of tea'. C'est la vie!