Bighorn - Blind Removal

Corkey

I have a 2012 3670RL Big Horn trying to remove the small blind in dining room slide out can not find any clip that holds it in place. Need to restring but can't find the way it is attached. Any help would be appreciated.

Corkey

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
They are probably just screwed to the wall. You will first need to remove the valance and lambricans.

Peace
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

pegmikef

Also try looking on the bottom of the top rail for a couple of screws as they are probably screwed into the top of the valance. I seem to remember that the screws were on the back side of the shade.

dlw930

Just removed one of our shades for restringing. Cookie is correct, you need to remove the valance, probably fastened to wall on sides and ceiling or bottom of storage cabinet at top. Then you should see (if you hunt for them) a screw near each end of top shade rail, fastening the blind to the wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Get rid of those crappy blinds altogether and replace them with Levolor vertical blinds. I did all of the main area, except the computer desk, and the hall. Way better than Day/Night.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Get rid of those crappy blinds altogether and replace them with Levolor vertical blinds. I did all of the main area, except the computer desk, and the hall. Way better than Day/Night.

Yup!

We had our rear window shade replaced under warranty (this is the original and was like this already when we pulled it off of the dealer's lot):

ProwlerDefectsRearWindowShade-P1000776.jpg

The new one, after only three campouts, is worse than the original!

I think I am going to go to Lowe's or Home Depot and have a custom shade made to fit that window as these just can't handle that big of a window.

I think it is time that Heartland look for a different alternative to this kind of shade for the big rear windows as they just don't work!

BusManRG

I have a 2012 3670RL Big Horn trying to remove the small blind in dining room slide out can not find any clip that holds it in place. Need to restring but can't find the way it is attached. Any help would be appreciated.

Corkey

Once you remove them, run, don't walk to your nearest home improvement store and replace it with a decent blind. We were constantly working on the day/night shades in our Class C. If we wouldn't have ordered the Big Horn, which comes with the MCD roller shades, we were ready to order new blinds for the unit. So happy to be getting the MCD shades!!
Sandy

9-larry

the screws are in the top of the blind. you don't have to take the valance off, there are two or three screws holding blind . when you look up under valance you should see them, you might have to feel for them. I just removed five of them and replaced with 2'' blonds.

pegmikef

Make an appointment at the MCD factory in McKinney, TX. Fill your fresh water tank and make sure holding tanks are empty. Arrive there Sunday and set up in the RV slot they assigned you (50 Amp only power). Watch the techs measure your windows and advise you on your options. Sight see for a day or two while they make the shades you selected. Tour the factory and on Wednesday or Thursday watch the techs remove the barely functional accordion shades and install your new real day and night shades that actually let light in (day shades) or block all light (night shades). Deposit your old accordion shades in the conveniently located dumpsters, give the office a couple of handfuls of money, and go on your way enjoying your really nice and functional new shades. I did and it is by far the best improvement we made. I even had the large rear window shade motorized so I can open and close it with a remote. You will never string another shade!

Birchwood

I have replaced the cords in all 9 of the blinds in our Landmark at least once.We purchase the cord at Fabricville .Once you do one its easy
and after 7 years the blinds are still like new.

9-larry

the screws are in the top of the blind. you don't have to take the valance off, there are two or three screws holding blind . when you look up under valance you should see them, you might have to feel for them. I just removed five of them and replaced with 2'' blonds.
I removed ours because two of them were a pain in the but to open and close

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I removed ours because two of them were a pain in the butt to open and close

Yup!

They only go up a few inches or so . . . then they start crumpling!

I'll take some shots tomorrow of the newly replaced under warranty shade that is worse than the original and post them!

I think that any RV manufacturer still installing these in their rigs should be more ashamed than any manufacturer still installing BlowMax tires from the factory!

These shades are that bad . . .

Attachments

• ProwlerDefectsWindowShade-P1000305.jpg
    ProwlerDefectsWindowShade-P1000305.jpg
    630.2 KB · Views: 40

Donszarko

I am having a similar problem with one of my plantation blinds which will not release on the down pull. If I can easily remove the blnd think I can release the stuck cords.

Most blinds have a metal header that slips between two ends. One end has a latch that un snaps or lifts and rotates to allow you to simply lift the blind up and out.

Such is my case but because my windows all are covered with a wood covered valance I am wondering if I must first unscrew the balance from the wall?? Otherwise I can't see how I can handle access to remove only the blnd??

Don

Donszarko

Thanks. Was hoping for an easier solution but it appears the balance has to come down. Otherwise I can't get at the blind.