Need ideas on how to raise my Sundance 3300SK

jlivet

:confused:The new 3300sk we bought a couple of months ago due to the height of truck and close bed rail clearance and the angle of my drive I need to raise the 5r about 1". How should I go about this since axle is allready on the bottom of springs and I see no shackel adjustment? Have allready scraped my new trucks tailgate and very close to draging rear bumper on 5r.

SmokeyBare

Jlivet,

If it's the height of the RV that needs to come up an inch... My Suggestion would be to contact a shop that installs springs.... you should be able to find them in most locations. Talk to them about the problems your facing... see what they offer to you as a FIX... I'd then call Heartland... explaining what you've been told and see if the Company has any issues with the "Fix"

Good Luck !

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ditto On what Jim said. What truck do you have? How much clearance do you have now when on level ground? It won't hurt much to have the trailer an inch or two higher in the nose.

jlivet

:(Pin box is at lowest position, and if I raise it my trailer will be more out of level and rear bumper would drag for sure plus when slider is used, pinbox will get into top edge of tailgate even more. Everyone that has looked at it say I need to raise the whole 5r about 1" to get the clearances I need to keep from tearing thing up.

jlivet

:(The truck is a 2007 1/2 Dodge 2500 Heavy duty, quad cab, short bed, 4x4, CTD, Reese signature series 18K slider hitch and I have the 6000# axles and 16" wheels and tires on my 3300sk and 5" of bedrail clearance. When I bought the trailer the dealer that is 125 miles away said it would be fine because that was my main concern when purchasing the unit now I find it is a problem. High in front and 5" rail clearance is not the way everyone on all the forums say a 5er should sit.

Forrest Fetherolf

jlivt,

Since the springs are mounted on top of the axle, install a 1' or 2" spacer between the spring and axle flange plate that the spring sits on. The u-bolts may need to be replaced with longer u-bolts. The spacer can be a steel or aluminum plate. You will be able to raise the hitch to get proper bed clearance and level the RV.

Forrest

fishn2dmax

I have the 6000# axles and 16" wheels and tires on my 3300sk and 5" of bedrail clearance.

Another inch could be easily obtained with out any physical changes to the suspension. If you have ST tires, upgrading to a taller premium LT tire will gain you about an inch. This should get you to 6" of bed rail clearance and is the is norm for most 5'ers I've looked at. If you have stock china bomb ST tires, you'll be doing yourself a big favor to get rid of them and it maybe solve the back-up drag as well.....something to consider:)

Forrest Fetherolf

Thanks Forest, where do I find these spacers ? Can this kind of fix myself if I can find the spacers.

Frame and alignment shops may have spacers and longer u-bolts or a steel/aluminum supply company can cut the spacers from bar stock. The install is not a difficult job, you need the right wrenches, jack and jack stands. If the spring has a centering pin recessed in the axle flange plate, make sure to drill thru the spacer and extend the centering pin thru the spring and spacer. The centering pin keeps the spacer and spring from sliding about on the axle flange plate. Most trucks and trailers use centering pins, when the centering pin fails, the axle will slide forward or backward causing the vehicle to dog leg (not follow the same track as other axles.
Automotive supply may have what you need...........called 'lift kits".

Forrest