Your opinion on the need for Surge Protection?

Sierra66

I pretty much know the answer:

Is a surge protector necessary?

I know I know yes. Especially on our 2016 Prowler. But what kind? Should I go hard wired?

Thanks,

Jon

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Re: Your opinion?

I have one that I plug into the power post.

This way even the power cord is protected.

I am really surprised that a built-in surge protector doesn't come as standard equipment in all RV's.

BusManRG

I have one that I plug into the power post.

This way even the power cord is protected.

I am really surprised that a built-in surge protector doesn't come as standard equipment in all RV's.

We were leaning toward hard wired on our new unit (previous unit was portable), but you make a good point about protecting the power cord. Hmmm. Need to rethink this.

SNOKING

We were leaning toward hard wired on our new unit (previous unit was portable), but you make a good point about protecting the power cord. Hmmm. Need to rethink this.

Protecting the power cord? From what? The biggest concern is with 50AMP service, if you loose neutral you burn up a bunch of your electrical devices. So the closer it is the the power panel in the trailer the better it protects the systems. At the post it will not catch a power cord reel lost neutral. Built in ones do not grow legs either, and have the option of a remote display.

Upper Right is Progressive Industries remote display. Chris

JohnD

Of course, the ultimate protection would be to have a built-in surge protector and one out on the power post as well.

Bones

The power cord is only a transmission device and actually the highest potential point of failure due to use. If the cord fail's after the surge protector, the surge protector will do absolutely nothing to protect your expensive investment. At least with the hard wired unit you have a good chance of catching a cord failure as well as being able to see your power state and use.

Power247

It is highly unlikely that a high enough power spike would come through post socket to damage a uncompromised RV power cable. If there was, a surge protector would not be able to stop it anyway.

A voltage depression or open neutral are much more likely to occur. Whatever you buy make sure it handles both those situations.

Greg
2012 | 2500 | CCSB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

Garypowell

I can't believe we had zero problems from 1996 (when we started full time) to early 2013 (back to 50/50) that we bought our BH 3010. Joined this group and first heard of the problem. Installed the progressive. Second trip out that year had a storm go over while in Atlanta. Everyone around us list something.....several TV's and microranges but we lost nothing.

Jim.Allison

Opted for a built in model after reading on this site that the external models tended to walk off.

danemayer

Opted for a built in model after reading on this site that the external models tended to walk off.

I must have missed the posts about people having their external EMS units stolen. It's possible, especially if not locked up, but I don't recall anyone saying they've lost one.

Bones

I must have missed the posts about people having their external EMS units stolen. It's possible, especially if not locked up, but I don't recall anyone saying they've lost one.
I had one and it was under lock and key. I think all you are trying to do is deter them. If they really want the surge protector they can just take the whole cable with them.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Several weeks ago we moved to a different site in the CG. Low and behold the person that left that site had left Progressive Dynamics surge protector still plugged into the pedestal. Being the nice guy I am, I tuned it in to the office so they could notify the owner.

JohnD

Most of the power poles have a padlock loop to lock the door closed.

I also wrap a cable lock around the post and the surge protector.

I think that these two things are more than enough 'hassle' for the would be thieves to go on to the next guy who hasn't locked down their surge protector.

SNOKING

It was me, guilty as charged! Chris

MTPockets

We plug ours in at the pole, although the hard wired would be more handy. We were in a campground in Utah a couple years ago and the pole had a problem which caused our generator transfer switch to go bad. Our surge protector had gone bad just one week earlier, so we were without it at the time... Our bad luck. We now have the Power Dynamics with s lifetime warranty. The failed protector came from Camping world and was out of warranty.

avvidclif

We plug ours in at the pole, although the hard wired would be more handy. We were in a campground in Utah a couple years ago and the pole had a problem which caused our generator transfer switch to go bad. Our surge protector had gone bad just one week earlier, so we were without it at the time... Our bad luck. We now have the Power Dynamics with s lifetime warranty. The failed protector came from Camping world and was out of warranty.

Never heard of that brand???

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
My VOTE is YES....I had the hard wired in my North Trail and it saved me in Chuckwater WY....
I will put a hard wired EMS in my new Sundance soon.....
By the way, I do not cut the shore cord as the instruction state but add an additional extension from the Fuse box to the EMS box....that way if I sell the Coach...I can take it with me and not have a spliced shore cord for the new owners.

MCTalley

We have the same internal EMS we bought for our first rig installed in our third rig because we used the additional wire to connect it instead of cutting the incoming feed.

I've heard from more than one campground representative that they don't trust them and think they're just a waste of money. This is usually after notifying them that, for example, their 50 amp circuit has 138 volts on one leg and 107 on the other (true story from one of the times our EMS wouldn't kick on).

C-Haert

Friends.

Purchased a 2016 3160EL a short while back.

Would prefer a hard wired surge protector. But with that said...
a) where is the most convenient place to mount a hardwired 50A unit in a 3160EL and,
b) if I go with a post mounted 50A option, what are the ramifications if I use it when only 30A service is available...does it provide the same level of protection (been a long time since I took Electronics 10).

Thanks in advance!

C-Haert