Water Pump Pressurizes every 20 minutes

Donszarko

Water pump in my 2013 Big country just started to intermittently lose a small bit of pressure causing it to represurize every 20-30 minutes. We have to turn it off at night so it dos not constantly wake us up?

When repressureizing pump only cycles a second and then pressure is restored.

Checked all all of the connections I can see and there does not appear to be a water or air leak?
Not sure why this started to occur now after a few years?

danemayer

If the internal check valve in the pump is allowing a very small amount of water to flow backward, you could see this symptom. Might not be enough to fill your fresh tank quickly when on city water.

You might pick up a Sharkbite check valve and install it on the suction side of the pump. Easy install and not very expensive. Won't hurt anything even if it doesn't fix the problem.

Donszarko

Thanks. I wondered about an inline checkvalve that my previous RV had and that I had to replace because it cracked over a winter season. But I can't see where the BC has a similar inline valve. They were on the intake side as you say installed just ahead of the pump. They were only a couple of dollars. Might try the Sharkbite solution.

If the valve is inside the pump then would one solution be a new pump? Expensive ....

danemayer

The pumps have an internal check valve. There is no external check valve that's standard. But it's a lot cheaper to put in an external check valve than to buy a new pump.

pday1213

Dan do you know what the SHarkbite valve part # would be needed to put in front of the pump? I am having the same problem and I belive the check valve is needed.

Donszarko

That's interesting. I guess by process of elimination I will check all connections again and then try the cheaper solution first. After RVing for 30 years I find it interesting that we have these minor technical issues.
I can't recall fussing over the RVs of the 70s, 80s and 90s like we do with these new units.
Thanks again.

sengli

We had a similar issue with our rig, intermittently. The pump would cycle for short time, unexpectedly. I ended finding two different fittings that were leaking very slowly, which of course cause the line pressure to slowly drop. So the pump would cycle to bring the line pressure back up. My leaks were on the back side of the shower , and the connections on the sink lines that over time had just began to slowly drip.