The Oakmont (rear Den with 5 slides)

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
Some of us were lucky enough to get a sneak peek at the prototype of the "Oakmont" during the Branson rally. Everyone that was in the rig with us got a sense of choppiness and slight claustrophobic feelings. This may have been because there were eight people standing in the kitchen at the time, lol,,, but I think it is more than that.

There is a heavy piece of wood trim above the sliding doors dividing the kitchen from the living area. It really emphasizes the fact that the doorway stands quite a bit lower than the ceiling height. This would be ok maybe in a house but the floor space in a fifth wheel is too limited to chop it up in such a heavy fashion. My suggestion would be to use a lighter weight/width of wood trim and either leave the top of that open or put some glass in between. I think that would really lighten up the feel and not be such a heavy divider (visually) between the two spaces.

There is my free advice and it is probably worth exactly that, chuckles,,, Lizzy

tcbrady

thanks for the feedback! We have moved the "heavy piece of wood trim" 12" higher on the wall so you do not get that claustrophobic feelings.
I'm really excited about the Oakmont - early feedback has been very good...

osims

bsims
When will the rest of us get to see the new floorplan. Will it replace one of the current models or will there be four floorplans.

linuxkidd

I really like the rear entertainment layout of the Oakmont. ( Already started bending LOUP's ear about this one.. ;) )

The one thing that I would do differently or modify shortly after delivery if that time comes..
I would completely remove the wall/door that separates the Den from the eating/kitchen space. I agree with OLNG that things can seem a bit confined. Removing the separation would make the floor plan much more open.

Now, I can fully see that some people will enjoy that divider.. maybe have it be an optional delete for ordered units?

LOVE the extra slide in the bedroom... Makes it much more spacious in the bedroom area.

OH, one other suggestion... Not just Oakmont related..

Why not extend RV's the extra 6" to allow for using standard size King mattresses? The length of the mattress is the same between RV King and Standard King.. Just 6" of width.

Thanks for the chance to see the Oakmont! I believe it's my new Favorite... (Now, I just have to convince LOUP! )

LK

jbeletti

Bill,

Another Oakmont is complete and heading to paint tomorrow. This one has some of the nice changes - many of which match some of the feedback received from the rally. I think people will like this one even more. Look for the Oakmont on dealer lots in early August.

Jim

Tom of Ypsi

Jim,

Will we be seeing pic's of the new and improved Oakmont before the dealers get them? Will this new one be on display at the Heartland factory? As you know we may be going that way when we leave Branson and may want to stop for another sneak preview.

jbeletti

Tom,

This one is heading to a dealer in Texas I believe. Depends on when you are here next. I think the next run of Oakmonts is planned for mid to late July.

Jim

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
I'm glad to see Heartland bringing back the rear den. We've had our BH 3655RD for almost three years now, which has included three winters in Florida - the first one with another couple. The privacy was nice for them when it was time to retire for the night.

Heartland had not made any rear den BHs at the time we ordered ours, but the folks at the factory took us through a LM Monticello, which was pretty much the same floor plan.

Lots of folks have toured our unit and they all say how much they like the layout (at least while we were within earshot).

I do agree that it would be nice to get the full king, but we cerrtainly enjoy the "king" that is in ours.

theharveys

We used to own a SOB fifth wheel which had a rear den. We liked the floorplan, although it had a small kitchen and a walk-through bath.
We bought our Augusta partly because we love the huge kitchen and the enclosed bath. Does the Oakmont have an enclosed bath? To our knowledge, there are only two fifth wheels on the market with both and enclosed bath and a rear den. One of them is way over-priced (Day Dreamer) and the other one has a tiny poorly designed (IMO) kitchen (Mobile Suites). It would be so nice if some manufacturer would create a usuable floorplan which had both an enclosed bath and a private rear den...although I understand that task is difficult given the 400 square foot limit for RV's.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Yes...the Oakmont does have an enclosed bath. The kitchen, although not as big as the Augusta, does have a very good size kitchen...and a back door out of the kitchen...that was neat!! Actually thought it was the best laid out rear-den unit I've seen in a long while...