Bugs in toilet

Sierra66

Brand new camper, multiple larvae type bugs in toilet water. Looks like mosquito swimmers.

Real weird occurance, anyone have an explanation or cure?

danemayer

Mosquitos breed in water. If there were some in the trailer, and there was available water, that might explain it.

Rockin_Dollar_B

New Mexico Chapter Leaders-retired
You might try those pond tablets for killing mosquito larvae. I bet you can get them at a nursery or home and garden store. I don't know if the toilet treatments would kill the tablets though.-Shelley

donr827

Mosquitos larvae hatch in standing water. I think that if you flush your system out they will not be a problem. Living in South Florida they are always tell us to get rid of standing water in objects we have sitting outdoors.
Don

Sierra66

Right. I knew any standing water could harbor mosquitos but dang, I didn't realize they could have hatched so quickly. I mean, we use the toilet. This was during a weekend trip. Its not like the camper was sitting with no one occupying it for a while.

I see the need for ants, bees and maybe even flies in the cycle of nature. But I just don't know why mosquitos are even here!

dewwood

You may want to sanitize your fresh water tank and lines then flush them well. It's possible to have some bugs in the water tank and then showing up in your stool.

Lou_and_Bette

Are you sure they are mosquitos? I think most RV'ers have heard that it is a no-no to leave the black water tank valve open during use. However, many think it's OK to leave the grey water valves open when camping. I never do because I have read on another forum, Escapeesr, that this can lead to an infestation of "Sewer Fles". Apparently they reside in some in ground sewer systems and get into your tanks if something is left open. So, may be a different species of pest residing in your system.

Carleen

This whole thread sounds terrible!! I would be horrified if they were in the water. Black tank?- not so bad, but still. l would be up until 3AM sterilizing all the tanks if I saw bugs...

Sierra66

Tell me about it. Nasty huh? Well it was most definitely from the fresh water. The camper is new and they put some water in it, as I always do for pit stops. I have completely emptied the tanks and filled back up (fresh water). Haven't seen a problem again.

mlpeloquin

Just use RV antifreeze in the toilet, sink, and shower traps when storing. it will prevent them from drying out, the bugs from laying eggs, and it will kill them. It doesn't cost mush as well.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Yes, it is extremely important to NOT leave any of the sewer tanks open while camping.

Let the tanks fill up to whatever level you feel comfortable with . . . then drain them as needed!