will a black and decker 750 watt inverter work?

markandrenita

As we boondock often, I want to get an inverter to run the tv and satellite reciever and the laptop and charge the cell phones,(not all at once).

Will a Black and Decker 750 watt inverter work?(sold at walmart)?

Is it ok to plug it into the 12 volt receptical above the desk in my 2008 3400rl?

Uncle Rog

We use a whistler 400w as a back up to our xantrex 2000w inverter / charger that is hard wired in. It does just fine for what you are looking for. Just saw the tv / satellite combo, I would go for a little more wattage just to cover the start up draws...........

SmokeyBare

Mark,

I'd take a look at the Wire size that is connected to the 12 Volt outlet you plan on using. Then I'd check out what wire size the specifications call for to power up the Inverter you plan on using.

Its only a guess here... but I doubt the 12 Volt outlet will successfully power that large of an Inverter. It sure pays to be safe... and not cause more trouble than any one of us want.

If you have ever plugged in an appliance into a too small extension cord... soon enough you'll discover the cord gets really HOT. Keep doing research... you'll soon have all the answers you'll need to safely use your TV and Satellite Receiver.

ChopperBill

Pretty sure 400w is the limit for plugging into a 12v outlet. I have a Coleman 400 plugged into a 12v outlet in the TC for the 13" LCD TV and the Satellite receiver and it does a good job. Not sure it would fire up one of the bigger TVs though.

sJv

I agree with SmokeyBare - only You can prevent trailer fires! :)

A 750W inverter would be pulling over 70A at 12V at full load (counting ineffiencies in the conversion). These should be hard wired to the battery, through an appropriate fuse, using heavy gage wiring and proper connections.

This size inverter should power a TV and Satellite receiver.

I bought a 1000W Xantrex inverter at Costco for $40. Pretty darn cheap!

-steve

Mark,

I'd take a look at the Wire size that is connected to the 12 Volt outlet you plan on using. Then I'd check out what wire size the specifications call for to power up the Inverter you plan on using.

Its only a guess here... but I doubt the 12 Volt outlet will successfully power that large of an Inverter. It sure pays to be safe... and not cause more trouble than any one of us want.

If you have ever plugged in an appliance into a too small extension cord... soon enough you'll discover the cord gets really HOT. Keep doing research... you'll soon have all the answers you'll need to safely use your TV and Satellite Receiver.

markandrenita

Thanks everyone. It sounds like I need to do a lot more studying and that I will need to hard wire an inverter. What gauge would you suggest? Would you put the inverter near the batteries and then run a line inside the house?(I mean our 3400rl as we are fulltimers).

I currently have a bank of 2 six volt batteries and the stock battery as my back up, with a perko switch for selecting which one I use. I am adding a bank of two 12 volt deep cycles and was thinking of running the inverter off of these.

SmokeyBare

I installed a 2000Watt Xantrex inverter on our Bighorn.... battery bank of 4 golf cart size batteries... connected to the Inverter with 6/0 cables... the batteries are connected together using 4/0 cables... connecting them to create a 12 Volt system... I used typical house wire 10/2 W/ Ground for the power coming from the Inverter to my 110 Volt circuit box.

There are lots of other protection built into the system... as well. Do Lots of research... learn what will work... do it right... it'll last for years and years...

markandrenita

Thanks again, I am starting to get an idea in my mind of how to put it together, (I am kind of slow so in two or three months of thinking I might actually do this. It took me three months before I put in the two 6 volt batteries :)).