Concerned!! First Tow w/2008 Sundance 3300BHS

JakeB

Just bought our first fifth wheel a 2008 Sundance 3300BHS. Pulling it with a 2002 Ford F350 crew cab short bed 4x4 Powerstroke diesel automatic transmission. I have the Firestone air ride bags installed in back with a B and W gooseneck turnover ball hitch. I had the dealer install a Colibert gooseneck adapter to our Sundance trailer.

First time I pulled trailer I noticed that if I got above 60mph I would start to get the fish-tail feeling on a windy day. The sort of feeling you get when your pulling a long bumper hitch trailer. I have pulled several goosneck horse trailers my entire life and never had any that had this sort of sway with a new trailer! With my wife and 2 year old daughter, it makes me a little weary driving it and stopping it as well! Can anyone lend a helping hand with what problems could be making it sway! I do have a bike rack off of rear bumpers with 2 bikes on it and everything in storage behind axles in lightweight stuff!

Can anyone give some suggestions!

linuxkidd

I'm not an expert on this by any stretch... but the first thing that jumps out at me is that you have a Gooseneck adapter... I think I remember reading somewhere that Heartland recommends strongly AGAINST using these adapters on their products.

I may be wrong.. Hopefully someone w/ more knowledge will jump in here..
LK

**Edit: I found the thread where I read that before... You can find it HERE

Last edited:

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I agree with LK, I would start by removing that gooseneck and tow the coach as it was intended. Maybe if you have a buddy with a fifth wheel hitch they would let you borrow their vehicle and try towing again. If the problem persist then we go from there.

Mark

osims

bsims
I pull my 5er with the fifthwheel hitch but i also pull alot of gooseneck trailers, cow trailers, flatbeds with tractors, and round bales of hay. Ipull loads with the gooseneck that weigh more than my 5er and don't have any swaying problems. Iwould look hard at tires, lugnuts, and suspension before i went to far. Also check alignment of tires, several people on forum have found axel alignment to be a little off.

johnjbird

You might want to check the weight on your goose neck also. I am not familar with goose necks that much but do know that you have to have the correct weight on the fith wheel pin. I tow a fifth wheel and would tow nothing else because they are normally not bothered by wind all that much. good luck

Clark

Jake, I would check to make sure that my 5W was level when attached to the truck for hauling. I have seen a lot of 5ers on the road canted high in the front. That would throw more weight on the rear axel and destabilize the trailer, leading to sway at road speeds. Just a thought.
Clark

JakeB

thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to take off the adapter and install the companion 5th wheel hitch from B and W. That only makes sense to me because I already have their gooseneck ball in my truck. thanks and happy camping!

dewwood

Jake,
Before I bought the companion fifth wheel hitch I would try to borrow one and see if that is indeed the problem. I would let you try mine but I am about four hours away. I don't see why the adapter would be an issue if it does not alter the hitch point forward or bacward and everything is tight with no slop in hitch. Check tire pressures, axle alignments and suspension components to be sure they are all where the should be. I will offer one other item, some highways have definite wear troughs where truck wheels run and they can cause your unit to sway until you get out of the these troughs, just something to be aware of as the wheels on a camper are set wider than your TV.

Hope you get it figured out so you can comfortably take your family camping. We have camped at Whitewater a couple of times and enjoyed the area.

fishn2dmax

Jake, first of all congratulations on the new Sundance.

I have found my Sundance to be more stable than any other than I previously owned. I too have pull horse trailers with a gooseneck, but I agree with the others, the gooseneck is not the ideal choice for the 5'ers travel trailers. Too many times, the gooseneck extensions used rasie the front of the 5'er too high, causing the trailer nose to run high and too much weight being transferred to the rear wheels of the 5'er.

Also, as others have already suggested, check all tire pressures and axle alignment by measuring the distance from the center of each axle to each other ( right and left) and measure across ( X pattern) and to the front of the trailer frame ( X pattern). All the dimensions should be very close to each other +, - 1/4 inch. More than 3/8" difference, I would take it back to the dealer and have it fixed. Also check for any excessive or abnormal wear on the inside or outside of the tires.

A properly leveled and axle aligned Sundance should not sway.