How to stop this?

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I agree, drill and pin. Just saw a 5'er, SOB lose one today on the interstate. Driver made his wife get out as he stayed in truck to remove remaining hose from bumper. Real chivalry on Route 81 South in PA.

Domi

I bought new ones with the small holes in them to let air in but not bugs. They are very tight.

John

Mattman

John,
Are they the Camco ones I see? Looks like on line they are 5-6 bucks. I thought maybe some of you long time camping guys might have a Macgyver trick like chew a stick of gum while you pack up, and after you put the hose away jam half into each end cap. But some new caps or home made pin might be a better long time solution.

Domi

Well my Macgyver days are a bit behind me but I was thinking long Bungee cords at one point. You should have seen me trying to find a away to get some kind of indicator as to where the back bumper was when we first got our NT. I had to stop when Domi informed me that I was going to whack cars in the other lane with my last idea.

Nope I get enough Macgyver action at work where they pay for my mess ups instead of me.

They are the Camco ones even though I got them at a local RV shop. I like them as they drain and keep everything dry but the bugs cannot get in.

Also when you put you hoses in make sure they are fully collapsed BEFORE you put any caps on them. Took me a while to figuar out why the hose would not compress with both caps on. Never said I was fast. That might be part of the issue if you are pushing the hose through and bumping the cap when you put it in.

Enjoy,

John

avvidclif

As strange as it sounds I only had that problem with a spare tire mounted on the bumper. When I moved it they quit coming loose.

callowaykid

I have the same ones, already lost one somewhere between here and pine mountain GA, need to buy a new one and rug them so they stay in I guess

GO DAWGS!

Mattman

I do have the spare tire on the back. From what I read on here this is some twisting action back there. So explains the loosening. I want to put a bike rack on, but thinking not the more I read about it.
I think I will end up with the hinged cover ones. I like that idea.

mlpeloquin

Drill a hole 1/4" through the square fender with and through the caps on both sides and on both ends. Use a piece of 12 gauge romex through the holes bending it 90 degrees on both ends. Carry a few extra for when it the romex finally fatigues and falls off. Cheep and you will never loose an end cap. You can use the black insulated wire so it will not stick out.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I had to do this on me KIT Companion TT , I welded two brackets on the bottom of the frame rails and then a 2" square tube with a 2" receiver hitch in the middle of the cross bar and one off to the side for the spare tire mount.
So basically nothing mounted to the bumper. That because on my first TT with the spare tire and 3 bike the bumper cracked around both frame welds and the bikes were bouncing down hitting the freeway when someone pulled up along side of me pointing back.
You can also position the bike receiver off the the right just enough the the bikes don't block your tail lights, and the tire receiver off to the left just enough to not block those light.

You can pin the cap so you don't loose it but that won't help when you hang the bikes on there and loose the whole thing. "Like I almost did"

This is the new hitch I put on my Landmark for our bike but basically the same thing you need.
https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/54076-Project-LM-365?p=439083&viewfull=1#post439083

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

You won't loose the cap, but if it does pop off the hose will be dragging down the road. Seen two going down the road in five years.

IronJ

I've seen a genny and bikes dragging down the highway off a snapped bumper...seen GIANT black rhino snakes trying to escape bumpers on 2 vehicles...last year...smh...they really need better bumpers on those..

I never lost a cap on my old trailer but they were loose like that on several occasions...I ended up drilling a small hole and sticking a pin in it...then my daughter lost the pins and I got fed up with it and bought 6" sewer pipes and made my own holders...and a couple of extra holders for patio rugs and fishing poles...

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If there is nothing stored in there then why even bother with the end caps?

I have a tote that I keep an extra 20 feet of sewer hose, plus all of the different fittings, but I still keep two 10 foot lengths of sewer hose in the bumper.

Which is why I like the hinged bumper covers I linked to above.

IronJ

That's what my wife said...why are you putting caps back on there for nothing??.lol..

1. I am ocd and open bumper ends bugged me..

2. I just KNEW some kinda animal/bird/ jackalope /chupacabra would take up residence in there...

Lol..

I too have a tote with sewer fittings and extra hose in my basement..

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish