Forum Software Update...

linuxkidd

Hi All,
We've recently completed an upgrade of the forum software. There are some new features / layout changes here and there.. Below are some highlights...

1. Tagging! Ok, what's this mean.. Well, When you start a new thread, if you look directly below the Message window, you'll see a 'Tags' area. Tags are keywords that your post relates to. When the tag system is in full use, it will be easier to find pertinent information about a specific topic just by clicking on a tag. (To see this in action, look below the thread, right above the Quick Reply area.. When more things are tagged, you can click on a tag word and it'll show all threads that pertain to that tag.. )

2. Public Profile Redesign. When viewing someone's profile, there are now tabs to help better organize the data.

3. Friends functionality. This allows you to organize and/or appoint friends that you have within the forum. Now, I realize that we're all pretty much friends, but those that have met in person and/or have a special connection, etc...

4. A NEW GALLERY! Ok, this may come as a shock.. But it seems that the folks that manage this software saw the need for an integrated gallery. We are currently exploring this as a feasible replacement for the current HOG offering. More to come on this, but anticipate moving that direction...

5. A new LOGO! Ok, ya.. that's not really part of the forum upgrade, but it is a change that I'm sure most have noticed...

There's more I'm certain..

We would like everyones feedback on the new software. ESPECIALLY if you notice something that's not working.

Thanks all,
LK

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
The only thing that is throwing me off is the change to the quick links section. There used to be a part that said "Posts last 24hrs" or something to that effect, along with a link that said todays posts. I always clicked the 24 hr link. Now that has been deleted and "mark forums read" has taken it's place. I clicked on it out of habit, not realizing that it had changed and marked all posts as read. Very frustrating, to say the least. Not sure how changing the order and content of the "Quick links" was an upgrade.
Fred

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Like Fred said, the posts last 24 hours is gone but I think the new posts tab does pretty much the same thing. Now to get used to it. On another note, the forum is responding very SLOOOOW today. Or is it just me? LK Thanks for your efforts on the forum.
On Edit, I just noticed something else. When reading posts from the "new posts" tab, once you read or reply to a post, it dissapears. When we had the "new posts last 24 hours" in the quick links the post would remain visible after replying. In the "quick links" tab, what time period does "todays posts" include? I see that posts I have replied to have moved to that link, which makes sense because I just replied. I guess it's something we have to become accustomed to again.

Last edited:

linuxkidd

Hey guys,
Thanks very much for pointing out the lack of the 'last 24 hrs' posts. I hadn't noticed that. I will work to get that put back in.

Are things still slow?? They seem kinda snappy to me...

Please keep the feedback coming!
LK

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Like the above comments, I would go to the quick link to see what was posted today, the last 24hr to see what I missed over the last few days. I would use the new posts to see a full list of posts over a long period of time.

I do not go into each forum and search for threads or posts. I may not be on the forum for a couple of days or even more depending on my internet access. I would like to be able to click on a link and have it sort the posts by date and time and I could read down the list as I needed. It would also be intresting to have a search where I can put in a date range and it would show all the posts and threads within that date range.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Speed is good tonight. Earlier today, I was in for 20 minutes and only got through one thread with four posts (including my reply), so I gave up.

linuxkidd

Hey guys,
Good news! I have verified that the 'Todays Posts' under 'Quick Links' returns posts for the last 24 hours. It seems that during the software upgrade, the forum coders renamed that feature..

So... happy daily browsing!! :)

Keep the feedback coming!
LK

timk

Ok, here's my petty itch. The new logo is nice, but I hate that it takes up half of the real estate on my screen.
Thats all.
TimK

linuxkidd

Thanks timk! Itch scratched... Reduced the image heights by 52 pixels...

How does it look now??

Keep it coming!
LK