Upgrading to new Heartland?

Erice

Hi all, new Heartland member here. I've now got another brand of 5er, but have been looking at several Heartlands in the 2010-2011 range. They are the Sundance, Eldridge, and mountaineer. They all are rear kitchen models which we like. BTW, my tow vehicle is a 2008 f350 diesel, srw.
im looking for input from anyone who has or has had any of these models. Good, bad, common problems and the good also. Price range for these units is ~$18-22,500.
Thanks, Eric

danemayer

Hi Erice,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There are a fair number of active forum members who have Sundance and Elkridge trailers. I'm not sure what a Mountaineer is though. Anyway, you should get some feedback from other owners shortly.

Erice

My bad, I meant Keystone Montana mountaineer edition. Not technically Heartland, but I think in the same family🙄

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Eric, we owned a 2010 ElkRidge. What are your intended uses for the trailer? That would help me tell you more about the pros and cons of the ElkRidge for your intended use. We vacationed with ours for 4 years and fulltimed in it for 1.5, before moving to a larger unit more suited for fulltiming.

Let me know how I can help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erice

Erika: at this point, we are doing warm weather camping (we are retired😬😬😬😬), for periods of 5-7 days at a time. We are doing only local camping because my mother in law, who's 97(!), is in a nursing home. At some time in the future when that changes, we will be going further afield, perhaps for longer times, but I don't see us full timing it.
thanks, Eric

wrehfield

We have a 2012 Montana Mountaineer, 29 foot, 3 slide. In the
process of trading down to 2009 3580RL Big Horn, which will
be trading up to us. The Montana is a pos and I will not own
another Keystone product. Bought it new and it has been a
pia since.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The ElkRidge is a great weekend and short trip, mild-season rig. It doesn't like extremely hot or extremely cold. It just doesn't have the insulation for it.

They originally debuted as the EagleRidge, but to avoid lawsuit, changed the name in 2010 to ElkRidge. It was the 4th in the line of products: from top to bottom Landmark, Big Horn, Big Country, then ElkRidge, then Sundance, NorthTrail, etc.

Our 2010 had a few issues, and when we came upon one, we usually upgraded (i.e., tires, faucets, vent fan, that sort of thing.) However, the trailer itself functioned very well, and after our initial warranty time, it did not go into the shop except for some storm damage.

Some units during this time experienced frame flex-- where the front overhang was flexing and causing broken aluminum welds inside the walls. Although we never saw any real "damage", we saw a slight gap at the caulking of the overhang once hitched that was concerning, as this was evidence of the frame flex according to what we found on this forum. After discussing with HL, We took our unit back to Heartland and they fixed at no charge, in 2013.

Maintenance becomes more and more important on older rigs, so be sure everything works well, no cracks or bad caulking, no delamination, no soft spots or leaks.

This was our second HL product, and we had a great experience so we bought another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk