1/2 ton pulling a triple axle toyhauler

Nbomar

Yep you read that right... no clue what possessed this guy to attempt this. It ended badly. Toyota Tundra on I35 by Pauls Valley OK on Tuesday when it was really windy. Flipped the truck and the camper.

d371a12b8ffb5a83bcca83dfaa81051b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

I have been seeing a lot of tundras pulling campers recently. Is it me or is this a new thing?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have been seeing a lot of tundras pulling campers recently. Is it me or is this a new thing?

I've been seeing it, too!

However, most of the Tundra's I've been seeing are waiting on the shoulders for a tow truck to come and pull them to the campground!

I don't care if they pulled the Space Shuttle at -1 mph . . . while they may be capable of hauling most bumper-pull trailers, there is not ONE 5th-wheel trailer that they can pull legally.

If you have a Toyota Tundra . . . choose carefully for the trailer you can pull with your truck.

There are very few that are legal!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You can't fix stupid. You can't believe what I see in this CG pulling big 5ers. A tiny, and I mean tiny, Nissan SUV pulling an Airstream TT.....really??

IronJ

Geeze...you know he ain't a member here....after the slack I get for pulling wirh my srw 8000lb diesel, I can only imagine!! Haha...but it's only a lowly ford...them yotas pull space shuttles and carry 18wheeler loads of gravel...

Plus I'm sure it will buff out...😉

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

mlpeloquin

Bob is correct you cannot fix stupid. When the wind blows the speed should slow, and that is with the proper tow vehicle! Stupid is as stupid does - Forrest Gump 1994.

crors7

Geeze...you know he ain't a member here....after the slack I get for pulling wirh my srw 8000lb diesel, I can only imagine!! Haha...but it's only a lowly ford...them yotas pull space shuttles and carry 18wheeler loads of gravel...

Plus I'm sure it will buff out...��

You hit the nail on the head! I've all but stopped posting on here, I don't know if it's jealously or just a bunch of grumpy ***** with nothing better to do than bash people. I tow a 40' TH with a F250, both brand new, I'm under all my weights and tows great, but apparently I'm going to die and kill everyone around me!

IronJ

Even with my srw 350 I'm way over the lawyer numbers...I also have a "proper" and more than well equipped dually...so I shrug it off...I've pulled with both...the dually is better but I have no reservations tossing it on the back of the srw...I don't think it's either jealousy or grumps...just people with their own opinions of what THEY would feel safe with...that's what makes this a good forum...you really gotta brush stuff off and accept the opinons....we are all in it for the enjoyment anyway....hate me if you want...I dunno why anyone would...I have plenty of experience with both trucks and thousands of miles towing the rw with both...that's where my opinion comes from...take em as you choose...no one else cares what I think anyway...lol

Jim.Allison

You hit the nail on the head! I've all but stopped posting on here, I don't know if it's jealously or just a bunch of grumpy ***** with nothing better to do than bash people. I tow a 40' TH with a F250, both brand new, I'm under all my weights and tows great, but apparently I'm going to die and kill everyone around me!

There are many tribes on this site. LOL.

crors7

Even with my srw 350 I'm way over the lawyer numbers...I also have a "proper" and more than well equipped dually...so I shrug it off...I've pulled with both...the dually is better but I have no reservations tossing it on the back of the srw...I don't think it's either jealousy or grumps...just people with their own opinions of what THEY would feel safe with...that's what makes this a good forum...you really gotta brush stuff off and accept the opinons....we are all in it for the enjoyment anyway....hate me if you want...I dunno why???

No hate at all, sure a dually would be better, but we pull with my wife's daily driver, and I have 2 hd 2500, 1 6.0, 1 8.1, both capable but not near as nice as the super duty. There is way to much bashing on here, a place to ask, learn ,teach, not preach.

Westwind

If your going to tow, you should know! that's my saying. There is no reason for anyone to tow a trailer that wags a truck. Saying the salesmen is a sorry is a poor excuse - I did 5 years of research and learning before I bought my first trailer because I knew I didn't know and didn't trust someone to tell me. Especially a salesman, people hear what they want to hear.
Travel down I-95 to Florida and you see some sights, many 1/2 ton trucks towing some questionable 5th wheels, lots with Quebec license plates. Some with the nose pointing down or up because the truck is jacked (US Plates -southern states).

IronJ

No hate at all, sure a dually would be better, but we pull with my wife's daily driver, and I have 2 hd 2500, 1 6.0, 1 8.1, both capable but not near as nice as the super duty. There is way to much bashing on here, a place to ask, learn ,teach, not preach.
Wasn't implying you were hating...just saying I know the rules...I know the numbers...and sometimes I tow with the srw and have ABSOLUTELY no reserve doing so...I could care less what anyone thinks...heck I got bashed for lifting/modifying my dang dually too!!..lol...still love this forum and the grumps and haters alike!!...they all have something we can learn from!

crors7

I totally agree, we searched for ever for a TH that was well within our weights, well not the most expensive or fanciest unit, we are happy with what we bought, sure in a few years we will buy a dually or toter and a monster 3 axle TH.

Jim.Allison

One thing for sure, most people on this site are aware of their pin loads and GCVWR. Some are marginal, but they are aware, and aware is good.

IronJ

I'd rather drive with someone who is aware of their load and capabilities ( over or not) than the yahoo in the tundra with a triple axle th doing 70mph in a 50mph cross wind because hey..."dealer said so and I seent it pull the dang ol space shuttle"...yee haa!!

My wife picked the trailer and I subsequently went "crap...I need a new truck "...lol....and I don't regret any of it...I LOVE my trailer and truck alike!!

crors7

When we were looking, we had a guy, the owner of the dealership, tell us that exact thing, " I tow a 5er with my Tundra", I rolled my eye's and went elsewhere!

IronJ

Maybe he had one of those new fangled mercury super lites...4000 some odd lb 5ers...lol...

I carry that much in my garage and fuel/water tanks I think...😐