New Owner Many Questions

I am the new owner of a 2009, 28BH North Trail, Fifthwheel. I love my Hartland, North Trail, from the towing aspect to the look and feel. However moving up from a tent trailer I have many questions and concerns that I am hoping someone can help me with. They are as follows;

1) Where should I place the level when leveling the North Trail?
2) Does this model usually come with an LCD TV?
3) Why are there two key holes for the locks on the front door?
4) Hot water heater, is it just electrical, 12 volts or propane?
5) Is there a quick fix to have the satellite signal go to all three TV so I can use three different satellite boxes?
6) Is there a different heating vent cover I can put on the heating vent in the bunk room ? Most of the heat from the furnace seems to go into this room as a result the door has to stay open when the furnace is on. This also result's in very little heat going to the bedroom in the front of the North Trail.

I am sure I will have more questions as I get more time camping, but answers to those for now would be appreciated. :)

Thanks
CK

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Welcome to the family CK. I'll try to help as much as I can with your questions.
1. The first time I level a new unit, I place the level inside on the vinyl floor as close to the center of the rig. Level side to side first then front to back. Once I know it's level I put level indicators on the side wall and front wall of the trailer.
2. Can't help with this one. Possible option???
3. One is a dead bolt the other is the lock for the door handle. Use the dead bolt for the best security.
4. Should be electric and propane only.
5.I'm not sure of the layout for Northtrail. I'm thinking someone should chime in on this one.
6.You should be able to replace the vent with something from Home Depot with a flapper to decrease the amount of flow. About $10.00 It's difficult to get good air flow in RV's because of the flexi vent hoses. We use a portable Electric heater to supplement the rigs furnace in colder weather.
Good Luck and have fun in the new rig.

CampingJunkie

I am the new owner of a 2009, 28BH North Trail, Fifth wheel. I love my Heartland, North Trail, from the towing aspect to the look and feel. However moving up from a tent trailer I have many questions and concerns that I am hoping someone can help me with. They are as follows;

1) Where should I place the level when leveling the North Trail? On my tt I put a level on the front side and on the front.
2) Does this model usually come with an LCD TV? I don't think any North Trails come with a tv. Mine did not.
3) Why are there two key holes for the locks on the front door? Lock and dead bolt
4) Hot water heater, is it just electrical, 12 volts or propane? I believe the HWH is just propane.
5) Is there a quick fix to have the satellite signal go to all three TV so I can use three different satellite boxes? We have one TV in our TT so no need for three. The outside connection does not work on ours for satellite so we run a flat line through the window.
6) Is there a different heating vent cover I can put on the heating vent in the bunk room ? Most of the heat from the furnace seems to go into this room as a result the door has to stay open when the furnace is on. This also result's in very little heat going to the bedroom in the front of the North Trail. If there is a roof vent in that room, maybe just open the vent. I would not try and close it off. It may harm the furnace.

I am sure I will have more questions as I get more time camping, but answers to those for now would be appreciated. :) Ask away, anything anytime.

Thanks
CK

Jennifer

Shadowchek

Level the fridge put a bubble level in the middle of the freezer compartment the first time. It is more sensitive to level than anything else.

Thanks everyone for your replies, however there seem to be some different opinions on my questions. Mike if you read this could you please give me the definite answers. Also one more question some the the 5th wheels we looked at had the steps made into a lock safe, storage area, etc. not wanting to ply on the steps for no reason, I was wondering if this is the case with the North Trail. This was the first unit for our dealer and therefore he was not fimalar with the North Trail. Thanks

M

Mcreech

I will answer the factory questions for you. #2) The LCD TV is an Options, and my problem is you can buy the same TV at Walmart for less money then I can buy it from my vendor....#3) Dead bolt lock and just handle lock...Always use dead bolt which is specific to your unit, then handle lock is a very common lock out in the RV world...#4) Hot water heater is LP only.....#5) The RG6 cable is the right cable for sat but we split it to feed the rooms, this can be done but not the easiest...Find the power splitter this where the local antenna and cable meet it has a red light on it.....and the last question is about the safe. the North Trail 5th never have used a safe, not a bad idea though....

Hope this helps