Driver's Side Basement Access

DWG

W love our new 2016 Bighorn 3875FB. That said, after about 8 nights in it we encourage Heartland to change the door to driver side basement access. We have bumped our heads more than once.

We get it can't open higher because of the bedroom slide. How about opening with a swing hinge to left? Maybe there are engineering reasons you don't do this?

Bones

post a picture but a guess is your door is on two stage struts. You'll need to push up on the outer edge to see if it will go higher

DWG

I not where I can photo it right now. I do know it won't go any higher because of the bedroom slide. It is on the struts but the highest it goes it forehead height. I can see limiting the heights so you don't forget it is up and put the slide out which would break one or both. I have seen RVs where the swing to left or right versus straight up.

post a picture but a guess is your door is on two stage struts. You'll need to push up on the outer edge to see if it will go higher

Bones

I not where I can photo it right now. I do know it won't go any higher because of the bedroom slide. It is on the struts but the highest it goes it forehead height. I can see limiting the heights so you don't forget it is up and put the slide out which would break one or both. I have seen RVs where the swing to left or right versus straight up.
ok. is it touching the slide when you have it open?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Our 2014 unit swings left on a vertical hinge. A couple of years ago HL changed to the horizontal hinge and added the struts plus limiting cable (folks lost that door when they closed the BR slide)!
Personally I'd prefer the swinging door too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

Our 2014 unit swings left on a vertical hinge. A couple of years ago HL changed to the horizontal hinge and added the struts plus limiting cable (folks lost that door when they closed the BR slide)!
Personally I'd prefer the swinging door too

I would prefer the swinging door too. I have it on one side why don't I have it on the other side.

DWG

ok. is it touching the slide when you have it open?
No. The issue is - due to limited height you hit your head on it if you walk away and then forget to duck when coming back. We are simply suggesting Heartland consider changing the door opening position or design.

SNOKING

Then you will bang your head on the slide. I just switched out the two stage struts for single stage ones. Without the limit cable on both balls it now nicely opens and rest against the swimming pool noodle on the corner of the bedroom slide.

Chris

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
No. The issue is - due to limited height you hit your head on it if you walk away and then forget to duck when coming back. We are simply suggesting Heartland consider changing the door opening position or design.

Exactly. I am just over 6' and our BR slide is a head banger (have noodles) on most sites so with the newer configuration I'd always be hunched over to access the OD side bay.
I believe I'd swap it out for a swinging door

Roller4tan

My Bighorn ODS door swings open left. It's just a piano hinge. Maybe buy a hinge and change the direction. Drill out the rivets on the old hinge

mlpeloquin

I have a 2014 3010RE. The bedroom slide is on the right side and has swinging door under it with the hinge on its left side. I added a latch so the door would not slam against the side with the wind when open. The door on the left side without the slide above it opens up with the single stage struts. Sounds like a design mistake not to have a swinging door under the slide on the left side. I use full length pool noodles cut in the center at 90 degrees to its center and cut down the middle full length. I slide it up the side of the slide edge, bend it over, and push the rest up the bottom edge. Use two for each corner of the slide. Used red and don't use a hat so the brim doesn't hide the slide from my view. Haven't bumped my head since.

danemayer

They've been building some with top hinges and others with front hinges since at least 2012. When they use the top hinges, I'd guess there might be a structural issue on the front edge of the basement opening that prevents using side hinges.

Our 2011 has side hinges. Not a piano hinge, but rather a bracket/pin on top and bottom. And I've also added a latch to hold the door open so the wind doesn't blow it around.

With the top hinge under the bedroom slide, the height is limited to prevent accidents where the slide is pulled in while the door is in the way. Over the years there have been a fair number of doors ruined.

If you want to remount the struts to allow the door to open further, add corner guards to the slide out. They'll keep the door just far enough away to prevent damage, and they'll also save your head.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Having recently replaced both large basement doors, I can ascertain that the hinges do not attach to the basement structure. They are riveted only to the door frame and the frame is screwed to whatever they can find to drive a screw into. Remove the screws and the whole thing will almost fall off the rig.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

My 2015 Landmark 365 has the swinging door. It is a way better set up then the lift up door. Not sure why they would put that there under a slide out like that.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Right after we bought our 2015 LM365 Newport, I commented to Tom Montegue (sp) that who-ever came up with the idea of changing from the side-swing door (both my 2010 Pinehurst and my 2014 San Antonio had the doors that swing sideways) to the top-lift door should be taken out and shot. He told me he wasn't sure why they had changed, but it wasn't his decision or suggestion ( I think he was hoping I wouldn't shoot him:p).

Bottom line is that I've told everybody I can think of, it was a dumb idea and they should change back to the side swinging door. Can't tell you how many knots I have on my head from hitting that thing.