SOLVED - water coming from camper

brw549

I wasn't sure what section to post this. I have a 2014 BC 3650RL. This weekend we were in a couple of strong rain storms at the campground. Today when I retracted my rear levels water began coming out of the front of the camper near my left from leveler. If I had to guess it looked like approx 3 gallons. I could not locate the water source but it appeared to come from somewhere under the camper between the flooring and the bottom covers. No wet carpet, no wet basement, nothing other than during the night my wife said is sounded like there was a water dripping sound somewhere in the roof near the antenna and front AC unit. I know this sounds odd but, water is my greatest fear in a camper because of the damage it can do. I will say the water was clear and had no smell. Any ideas ????

Thanks

jnbhobe

Re: water coming from camper

Check the roof and front and rear caps real good, look for bad calking.

brw549

Thanks I was thinking the same thing. Is it possible for water to get between the two caps and not enter the coach area?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Also possible that water got in underbelly from running down the sides if windy. Did you drive any at all in the rain??

brw549

The underbelly was my first thought because I had that occur before so I raised the front of the camper to its maximum, hoping to see water come out the drain holes I cut in the underbelly or run out the back of the camper, but it didn't. As a matter of fact more water came out he opening up front letting me know the cap was holding water : ( Although I live in Georgia and my roof is at approx 120 degrees today, I did locate and hopefully fix the problem. Jon Holbert was right on the money about the front cap. There was a opening approx four inches long and 1/8 inch wide. I can only hope it hasn't been open long. I cleaned the area with mineral spirits, let it dry and laid the Dicor to it ( I wish all caulking was that easy). I will pickup some Dicor tape tomorrow to finish it off. Thanks everyone for your help

brw549

Repair work completed and I wanted to share some of this with. The areas where the front and rear caps connect were the worst. The from cap had large gap that needed dicor caulk and tape. The rear cap also had cracks in it and I have repaired them also. The one item I would share about the back cap is "Do not assume water in the belly comes from the road or blowing rain" A crack where the back cap connects with the roof will divert water between coach wall and the inside of the rear cap directly into the underbelly. 20160720_102857.jpg
20160720_102857.jpg
I know its difficult to see but the underbelly cover feeds into the rear cap.
20160720_092910.jpg
Here is a area that was open on the rear cap
20160720_093949.jpg
Here is the same area after cleaning it with mineral spirits followed by denatured alcohol

20160720_093059.jpg
Screws near the ladder created openings also

20160720_101707.jpg
Heres the same area after using the Dicor tape and SL caulk. If it looks like a third grader applied the caulk then you did it correctly.

20160720_095630.jpg
Vent areas

20160720_100458.jpg
One item I found to be the most useful for this project was a knee pad. Here in Georgia the roof was over 120 degrees during the day and can cause burns.

Good Luck on your repairs and thanks to those who provided information to me.