My Security System

Crossbow

I thought I would start this section off since I do have a security system installed in my current trailer. I got it at lowes and consists of the IRIS hub and devices (Z-Wave). I have motion sensors, door switches, water sensor (washer pan), CO sensor, alarm siren, and wall key pad. This is then tied to a Verizon MYFI router that also serves as my PC hotspot. It works great as long as you are in reach of a cell tower. If you aren't it will only work in local mode and not be able to call you if it senses a tripped sensor. I wish I could tie the AC thermostats to the system like I was able too at my house by using nest thermostats but alas Dometic hasn't seen the light yet.

SNOKING

Last winter I put a digital temp gauge below my web cam and could pan down and look at the temperature in the SB while in Arizona. Chris

Crossbow

:) Let me know when you find a way to control it like a NEST thermostat. It is nice to go to your phone, look at your trailer temp and being able to reset the temp to something lower before you get back to it. While you are camping and on the camps dime for electricity it is no big deal but if you are at your home site it would be nice since we fulltime in ours.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We use a security system as well, it is a professionally monitored system (although unmonitored is also an option). PM me for details.

I have a separate system of Blink wireless cameras I use to check on the cats, etc. that also detects temperature.

Sadly, in the Texas summer heat, I figure the ACs are going to run from 9am to 7pm pretty steady, whether I'm there or not... they won't keep up, otherwise.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our RV security system . . .

CampinKitties-P9020527.jpg

Nobody gets past these guys . . . unless they have a bag of kitty treats!

Does your security system have magnetic box shaped sensors where one is on either side of the door or window? I have an old portable system where you adhere the sensors with tape and Velcro. With the RV windows having more of a flat jam I was not sure if I could use this type of system.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Does your security system have magnetic box shaped sensors where one is on either side of the door or window? I have an old portable system where you adhere the sensors with tape and Velcro. With the RV windows having more of a flat jam I was not sure if I could use this type of system.

Yes those type of sensors are available for windows. However, my assumption would be a window would likely be broken to gain entry first, so I have a glass break sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WebErika

I thought I would start this section off since I do have a security system installed in my current trailer. I got it at lowes and consists of the IRIS hub and devices (Z-Wave). I have motion sensors, door switches, water sensor (washer pan), CO sensor, alarm siren, and wall key pad. This is then tied to a Verizon MYFI router that also serves as my PC hotspot. It works great as long as you are in reach of a cell tower. If you aren't it will only work in local mode and not be able to call you if it senses a tripped sensor. I wish I could tie the AC thermostats to the system like I was able too at my house by using nest thermostats but alas Dometic hasn't seen the light yet.

Thank you for this! Sounds like it will work perfectly for our needs as well. We have the MyFi and have to remain within service anyway for work.

Are you still happy with it?

pegmikef

Did you buy an actual system or just build it using the individual components from Lowes?