Dealing with Poison Ivy

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
For the third time in six years, I got another fine dose of the stuff. Didn't recognize it while working around the landscaping at our house the day before heading up to the rig last month. So, while at the rig for three weeks, I dealt with the nasty on my legs and arms. Got some Prednisone from the local clinic and Tecnu spray at WallyWorld. So, I ordered some Level C Hazmat suits, gloves, and face masks to get it out of the bush it was entwined in. This was yesterday's fun-filled activity. Had a bucket of soapy water, brush, and the wife with the garden hose for decon.

I also sent an email to our Hazmat Director for equivalent training time credit.

Attachments

• Level C Hazmat.JPG
    Level C Hazmat.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Managing the Beast.JPG
    Managing the Beast.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 93

Kbvols

Your a hoot! I don't blame you though. My wife gets it several times a year working at our cabin. She of course blames it on me each time. I am one of the lucky ones that it does not bother.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
John, you need to spray that with a vegetation killer such as Roungup.
Poison Ivy has a pretty good root system so that needs to be killed.

Peace
Dave

mlpeloquin

My grandfather when he was a kid was dared to suck on the leaf. He did not know that it was poison ivy, but he liked the bitter taste. While at the doctors office, when he was an adult, he was seen by his doctor and he was sucking on a poison ivy leaf. His doctor got excited since he could not understand how several of his patients clammed that after they visited his office they had gotten poison ivy at his office. It was from my grandfather putting the oil on everything he touched. Not everybody including me are allergic to poison ivy. I also don't have a problem with poison oak. Grass how ever.... My grandfather would clean out the family's yards every spring because he was immune.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Trying to salvage the bush before killing it with RoundUp. I did paint the cut ends of the roots with a mix of organic apple vinegar, soap, and salt. Read that as a spray, it would kill poison ivy (and any other plant it touched), so I was judicious in applying it. But we'll see how it goes. None of the neighboring plants have it growing on them, though.

Getting it enough times to acquire immunity isn't something I plan to do. I also read some wag that said if you eat it like a salad, you will become immune. Yeah, death cures a lot of ills.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
For the third time in six years, I got another fine dose of the stuff. Didn't recognize it while working around the landscaping at our house the day before heading up to the rig last month. So, while at the rig for three weeks, I dealt with the nasty on my legs and arms. Got some Prednisone from the local clinic and Tecnu spray at WallyWorld. So, I ordered some Level C Hazmat suits, gloves, and face masks to get it out of the bush it was entwined in. This was yesterday's fun-filled activity. Had a bucket of soapy water, brush, and the wife with the garden hose for decon.

I also sent an email to our Hazmat Director for equivalent training time credit.

Since you've already got the hazmat suits . . . we've got some nuclear waste in our backyard we need to have removed . . . :cool:

olcoon

If you get it several times you will eventually get immunin to it. All the tree workers I know don't get it anymore.

Hadn't thought about that. When I was a kid I'd get it numerous times in the summer, even with knowing what it looked like & avoiding it. Now about 200 years later, I hardly ever get it, & when I do it's usually a mild case. HOWEVER, now I'm a little wiser. Knowing that the plant puts an oil on your skin, ASAP after contacting it, I'll wash the area with hot soapy water...several times. Also I use lye soap & it does wonders not only for poison ivy, but for repelling ticks, chiggers, & skeeters. If I do get poison ivy after all that, I'll use the lye soap, lather up the area & let it dry without rinsing it off. Dries it up in a few days with little itching. At least it works for me!

Domi

You could try Roundup in a small cup and just pour it on the cut end. That will generally kill it and not everything around it.

John

Oregon_Camper

Never had it. All the kids in the neighborhood used to get it when I was a kid when we'd go play in the woods. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones...oh, my sisters never got it either.

mlpeloquin

An old medical treatment for poison ivy was Ferric Chloride. Once upon a time the electronic industry used it for etching copper with added hydrochloric acid to keep the iron in solution. Medical grade Ferric Chloride would dry out the area it would be applied to, but it stains everything. Once ferric chloride gets on clothing the stain cannot be removed. In pure form it is anhydrous so don't fool around with it unless you know what you are doing. Not that you would.

Bohemian

My poison ivy kit includes

Hard yellow soap. That is real soap. This will wash off the poison ivy resin. The sooner the better.

Calamine with antihistamine for topical application. Reduces irritation and itching.

Oral antihistamine.

Benadryl is the best antihistamine but can possibly put you to sleep.

Modern antihistamines are less effective but better at letting you stay awake.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I can look at the stuff and break out, heading to the er immediately. Hate poison Ivy.