City water and tank water.

Sorry to ask a dumb question but as a newbie I have a bunch of dumb questions. I just bought a used 2013 Bighorn 3010re. When I hook up to city water and turn the valve to city, I get nothing inside. If I turn the valve to tank I get nothing and at normal I get nothing. I tried filling the tank to try out the water pump but must be doing something really wrong. I don't see in the plumbing control area a gravity feed for the tanks either. If I have the valve on tank and try and fill from the hose connection next to it (I am assuming the city water connection) the water comes out of the bottom of the trailer. I assume that there is either a valve behind the wall, or I have screwed something up and blew a hose or something. Anyway is there someone that can help a dumb owner novice/

Roller4tan

with the va;ve set to tank, you are filling the fresh water tank. TThere are overflows on each side of the trailer near th wheels.If you're seeing water your tank is full. switch to normal and turn on your pump and open a faucet. Water should come out after it blows the air out of the lines.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

There are no dumb question here. If you don't know ask.
200RV.jpg

You should have your city water hose hooked to this inlet on the right side of the Anderson Valve.
(Normal) - is for when you are running off of the fresh water tank using the water pump.
(Tank) - is for filling the fresh water tank from city water.
(City) - is for using the city water from the hose. you can also use the water pump pulling from the tank on the newer units.

071787ce97b9f6d940fe3419dafb4f3e.jpg

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If you're seeing water your tank is full. switch to normal and turn on your pump and open a faucet. Water should come out after it blows the air out of the lines.

I always fill (prime) the water lines and the water heater with city water (ie.- hose from the house) as opposed to using tank water and running the pump to do all of that.

There are no dumb question here. If you don't know ask.
200RV.jpg

You should have your city water hose hooked to this inlet on the right side of the Anderson Valve.
(Normal) - is for when you are running off of the fresh water tank using the water pump.
(Tank) - is for filling the fresh water tank from city water.
(City) - is for using the city water from the hose. you can also use the water pump pulling from the tank on the newer units.

071787ce97b9f6d940fe3419dafb4f3e.jpg
OK, Thanks. I must have a hose loose or something. Guess I will be opening some panels today. When I turn the valve to tank to fill, the water pours from the bottom of the unit.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Let us know what you find. Or if we can help with you repair. Home depot has all of the Pex line, fittings, clamps, and tool, or you can use the Sharkbite fittings in some cases.
All very easy to repair yourself

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

danemayer

Take a look at the hose connection next to the valve. It may have a small button in the center that should move in when pressed lightly. That's a check valve and if it's stuck, you may not get any water through.

Carleen

Let us know what you find.
Of if we can help with you repair. Home depot has all of the Pex line, fittings, clamps, and tool, or you can use the Sharkbite fittings in some cases.
All very easy to repair yourself

I recently had a flood in the basement myself. Water line came off from the hot water tank overnight. I replaced it with Pex and Sharkbite and couldn't believe how easy it was. Expensive, but worth every penny if you ask me! Now I also have a water alarm in the basement behind the wall too.

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

Thanks, got that problem fixed. Seems that whoever owned this before had disconnected the hose from the outlet side of the pump and capped it off. Only thing I can think of is they just never used the pump or tank water. Then to top it off, I discovered that they must have taken the valve handle off and reinstalled it. Only thing is, they installed it 180 degrees off.

danemayer

Thanks, got that problem fixed. Seems that whoever owned this before had disconnected the hose from the outlet side of the pump and capped it off. Only thing I can think of is they just never used the pump or tank water. Then to top it off, I discovered that they must have taken the valve handle off and reinstalled it. Only thing is, they installed it 180 degrees off.
Keep an eye on the fresh tank water level. If it starts filling by itself and overflowing that would explain why the pump output was capped off. Sometimes the internal check valves in the pump get stuck slightly open, allowing city water to flow backward through the pump, filling and overflowing the fresh tank. If that happens, you can fix it pretty easily. Add a Sharkbite check valve on the suction side of the water pump. You can find them at many big box HW stores or plumbing supply stores. Easy to install.

mlpeloquin

And make sure that use get and use a pressure regulator for all your water hookups or you will at some point blow your PEX fittings somewhere. Murphy says at the most hard to get to or where the most damage will be done!

lukeysh

Do you prefer the sharkbite clamp or crimp type fittings for plumbing repairs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lukeysh

One other question. Is the pex in our landmark 3/8 or 1/2. Never paid attention.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

1/2 inch Pex
For me I kinda like the crimp fitting for cost and looks. And with the tool it fairly easy to do. Not quite as easy as the Sharkbite but if you replaced every fitting with the Sharkbite it would cost a fortune.
My 2 cents

lukeysh

1/2 inch Pex
For me I kinda like the crimp fitting for cost and looks. And with the tool it fairly easy to do. Not quite as easy as the Sharkbite but if you replaced every fitting with the Sharkbite it would cost a fortune.
My 2 cents

Thanks. Can you clarify. I thought the shark bite fittings came either crimp or clamp. Your reply seemed to indicate different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lukeysh

1/2" pex Sharkbite on the right and 1/2 pex clamp fittings and plier's on the left

c9a50c91348845c2aea8c3d4141a510e.jpg

Thanks. I see that your reference to a shark bite is the push on type. I was confused because sharkbite brand makes crimp and clamp pex fittings also.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Oh sorry haven't dealt with those. I'll have to look at them next time I'm at Home depot so I know what the heck I'm talking about. LOL

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Watts also makes plastic fittings that are similar to Sharkbite slip-on ones. Grainger sells them. I have one that I plan to install on the toilet supply line. A bit smaller and a lot lighter than the brass one. Also does not have a long handle . Good for the tight space back there.