A Very Sensitive Subject - The Best Truck

BigGuy82

I know everyone has thier preferences regarding tow vehicles and in my opinion, they are all good. However, i just purchased a 2017 Ford Super Duty and I thought I'd share some of the new features of this beauty (no, I don't have it yet and on a good day, I MIGHT see it in September).

Here's a list of some of the "tow friendly" features:

• aluminum body that greatly reduces weight - about 350 lbs. Actually, it was more than that but they "reinvested some of the weight savings in such things as a much beefier all steel full box frame, heavier duty brakes, beefier springs, etc
  • because of the stronger frame/lower weight equation, they have increased all weight carrying and towing specifications over the 2016 models
  • blind spot indicators that cover not just the truck but the toad
  • a 360 degree, 5 camera (6th optional) camera system that literally provides the driver with a full view around the vehicle, including the ability to 'see around" corners
  • a toad rear camera that can be viewed through the screen on the console (no separate screens)
  • a trailer TPMS that is monitored through the dash screen
  • top console mounted upfitter switches for the extra "gadgets" you want to put in
  • full lighting in the box
  • lane keeping alert
  • adaptive steering
  • trailer backing assist
  • an extended running board that goes from the front wheels to the rears - much easier to reach into the bed
  • and the list goes on

All of this is in addition to the towing enhancements they've had in the past - the puck system for 5th wheel hitches, tailgate step with handrail, etc.

Of course, a lot of this stuff is optional but the critical point is ... it's all on MY truck !!! ;) If you are at all interested in seeing this stuff in detail, go here:

http://www.ford.com/trucks/superdut...uty&cks=58458468021&emailid=ford_hxxc_hrt1_on

If you are a Ford fan or just interested in what the latest tech is, I suggest you watch all of the videos.

Last edited:

alexb2000

Congrats. I have a 16 Superduty and I had a 2015 F150. I am sure you'll like the new aluminum body, I loved it on the F150. Very strong and seemed to be very resistant to door dings. I also liked the blind spot indicators on the F150, especially when backing out of a tight parking space.

Just out of curiosity, why did you choose gas vs. diesel?

Carleen

That is awesome! Congrats! I love my F-350 and the features for towing. It's older, but beats anything I've had before. It seems like all the new trucks are better equipped to tow making them much safer than in the past. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNOKING

Fully loaded the 15,500 lb 3010RE will be quite a load for a gasser! Hope it works out well for you. Chris

BigGuy82

Many reasons. The initial 8 grand upcharge, increased fuel costs, the mess of fueling a diesel truck (foamy overflow) but most importantly, maintenance. Seems like eveyone I know that has a diesel winds up getting stung with a very expencsive (as in multi thousands) repair bills. (disclosure: I had a diesel before but only had it two years.) In fact, a friend of mine has a small fleet of diesel pickups (I think around 10 trucks) and he is in the process of switching them all over to gas as he trades them in - the repair costs were just out of line.

I'm sure that everyone doesn't have the same issues, but diesel does seem to have a reputation. I know you can't beat the low end torque and somewhere in the future when I'm transversing the Rockies I will wish I had a diesel, but I think I'll largely be OK with a V8 gasser and 4.30 rears.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Fully loaded the 15,500 lb 3010RE will be quite a load for a gasser! Hope it works out well for you. Chris

The 2016's are rated at a max 5th wheel weight of 15,300, so I'm betting the 2017's will be much better based on what Ford is "indicating". I say indicating because they have contimually stated better towing specs for 2017 but are keeping them close to the vest until the '17's roll of the line.

SNOKING

Well Dick I am on my third diesel pickup over 22 years and had two 4 cylinder Cummins in my boat for 19 years, and have not experience any of the issues that you pointed out other than the up front delta in cost, which normally comes back at resell or trade in.

I hear very good reports on the 6.2 Ford. You should get the prize for two 2017's!!!

Chris

Carleen

Diesels can be costly, so I purchased the Ford warranty with mine. I don't want to be in the position of dropping $4k on a new turbo or $10k on a new engine... I also had warranties on my previous gassers for the same reason- just different parts. A truck is a truck and I ask a lot from it to haul my stuff over the passes. I figure I'm doing good by keeping up with maintenance but want to be covered for catastrophic failure as well.

BigGuy82

Snoking, I hear you. On the flip side, my bud with the small fleet has all Ford diesels and nothing but headaches. On the fill side, just look at the ground by any diesel pump ... I also had several boats and have been around them most of my life - I agree that marine diesels do have a rep for reliability. Also, 18 wheelers have very high reliabiliy. But in my experience, cars and light trucks, not so much. Also, there's the whole cat pee thing ... Anyway, the die is cast so I'll let everyone know how it shakes out.

Yup - I have two 2017's ... I'm a lucky guy. Now, if I just had my new 2017 truck to tow the 2017 fiver sitting in the driveway ....

Carleen

I think you will be thrilled- they are great trucks regardless of what you put in at the pump

SNOKING

I drip of gas off the nozzle is soon gone from the payment!!! A drop of diesel just spreads out and lingers around. Maybe that is part of the right of passage! Ha! Ha!

Chris

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

In my opinion It just the opposite. There in no maintenance cost on a Diesel, just change the oil and filters every 8 to 10,000 miles and drive it. you'll get 500'000 miles out of it. Gas maybe 150'000. With a Gas rig you'll have to change the oil twice as often, and you'll have have to give it tune ups once in a while Plugs, wires, ext. (not like the old day but still) You won't get near the pulling power out of a gas unit. And your going to get better mileage while pulling with a Diesel.
My 2 cents but I guess it depends on how small your trailer is. You don't need a Diesel truck to tow a tent trailer...

I'm a GM guy but man all of those extras make the ford super tempting. Nice truck enjoy.

BigGuy82

Carleen, I'm still wrestling with the whole extended warranty thing. I'm thinking for a gasser, my risk of a huge maintenance bill is lower than it would be with a diesel. Then again, gas engines blow up too. Then, of course, there's the whole transmission failure risk! I might still do it - I've got at least another 8 -10 weeks until delivery to think about it.

No matter which way you go on this, we certainly didn't choose a low cost lifestyle!

Carleen

That's the truth! If it were me, I would wait on extended until you are close to the factory warranty running out. I tend to trade up every 5 years, to it wouldn't make sense for me to get coverage for longer than that. But- I also can't afford new. My F-350 is a 2011. I purchased it less than a year ago with 50k miles. I purchased the Ford Extended Service plan through the dealership that extends it 50k miles or 5 years. I had also purchased a used Silverado from the same dealer with the same warranty 3 years prior (yes a Chevy with a Ford warranty). I used the warranty a few times getting work done at Chevy dealer and it covered all of it including a rental. When I traded the Silverado in, they pro-rated the warranty and gave me credit toward the F-350 warranty. I really can say I am happy I spent the extra cash. I have the first gen 6.7 diesel, so there are known problems I wanted coverage for. I can sleep knowing if something goes wrong, I only have to pay $100 to have it fixed at the dealer.

SNOKING

I bought an extended 8 year / 120K mile warranty more for all the electronics in these new trucks vs the Cummins engine. It is the second warranty I have every purchased. The first was on a VCR deck in the early 80's.

Shop price carefully, their first offer in way high. Investigate on forums and internet. However ONLY buy the manufacturers extended warranty!!!!

Chris

Carleen

I fully agree about manufactures warranty. My dad got skunked with "dealership" warranty. Work could only be done at that particular dealership. Didn't help him when factory flawed axle destroyed differential while out of state... He wasn't very happy- traded the truck shortly after that.

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Yup - I have two 2017's ... I'm a lucky guy. Now, if I just had my new 2017 truck to tow the 2017 fiver sitting in the driveway ....

Yup!

I was cool last year with two 2015's . . . now they both seem so old, especially the truck which already has close to 42,000 miles on it in under two years.

I have the Chevy 2500HD gasser with the 4.10 rear end and it is a trailer hauling beast in the Rockies!