Internet on the road

jgilbert

Okay, I finally took the plunge since I retired a couple of weeks ago. I bought our internet on the road setup from the 3G store. Verizon service, Cradlepoint 350 router, wilson trucker antenna, UM 150 card/modem. It arrived today and I brought in the router and UM 150 card. Plugged the modem into the router, plugged the router into the wall, waited about 30 seconds and fired up the browser. I am ECSTATIC!!! The wife and I can both be on at the same time. The speed is really great also.

Joe

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
That's good stuff to read as our new CradlePoint 500 router (from 3G) should be here Monday! We already have the UM150 from Verizon. After this wireless HP printer that took all day to set up, we could use a snappy install.

Sheri

jgilbert

My sister had one of those wireless HP printers but we ended up taking it back because it just would not work wirelessly. It was a couple of years ago, and I hoped they had their act together now, but with your experience, I see they still have some bugs.
Joezilla

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Apparently a whole nest of bugs. After spending the bigger part of the day on it, I finally gave up and had to call HP Support. The network was up, the HP test printout said that it was communicating, but we couldn't print from either computer. After trying many things over the phone the very nice fellow (in India) had to take remote control of my computer and make several program changes. Now it works, finally. I just dread this fall when we head south and have to take the network down!

davelinde

We bought our VZ aircard and Cradlepoint router pre-activated from the 3G store. The router setup worked out-of-the-box with no trouble at all. Cradlepoint has a very nice authentication setup that uses a password to populate a MAC address in a filtering list, so you only need to use the password once.

Unfortunately the VZ access manager software would not install on my Lenovo no matter what I did - although it installed fine on two Dell's and another Lenovo... The only solution was to re-load XP from scratch on my Lenovo and VZAM would work -- though now it's throwing occasional BSOD's (Blue-Screen-Of-Death). All considered... a good solution though - VZAM is only needed to run the aircard in the PC and we use the router about 80% of the time.

The only place I have not gotten any VZ service (so far) was the south rim of the Grand Canyon. The speeds are fair for most of what I do, although the latency made my Vonage box less than ideal. Still need to experiment with that. We have not hit the 5G limit yet (surely helped by the fact that I'm not running VOIP) -- although I have yet to be able to match a VZ usage report to my own records from my VPN client... so far VZ is way undercounting my usage -- so there's nothing to argue with them about.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We have our Brother all-in-one printer wired directly to my desktop and my husband set his laptop to print wirelessly thru the router...works perfectly! Don't ask me how he did it...just know it can be done (with help from our son the computer geek:D). Eliminated the need for a "wireless" printer...maybe Alex can elaborate....

By the way, we move constantly and the settings do not change...shouldn't be a problem when you move. We get where were going, turn our systems back on, and everything is fine.

Last edited:

jbeletti

Kathy,

With your printer connected via USB to Ken's PC, what your son did was to share that printer with the network (Start:Control Panel:printers - right-click the printer and click on Sharing...).

Once shared with the network, he installed the printer drivers onto your PC, then setup (on your PC) the printer as an IP printer. Your internal wireless LAN card found the printer via the router on Ken's PC, also connected wirelessly via the router. Viola!

Ken's PC must remain on for you to be able to print to the printer is the only downside.

I have the $100 HP printer with wireless built-in and connect to it (using Infrastructure mode and via the router) from our wireless laptops. No sharing and no PC needing to be. Just another way to do it for some. Nice to have options. See you in Hershey!

Jim